Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 and Bluetooth

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 and Bluetooth

Old 25-08-2020, 08:25   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
V6 and Bluetooth

Is it possible to use wireless headphones with the V6? I believe the V6 does not have Bluetooth built-in so it would probably need some kind of dongle. Does anyone have any experience with this?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2020, 08:51   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: V6 and Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Is it possible to use wireless headphones with the V6? I believe the V6 does not have Bluetooth built-in so it would probably need some kind of dongle. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Normally you would connect headphones to the tv not the v6 and its quite a common thing, what headphones have you been looking at?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 08:56   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Here's what I told Vince on another thread just yesterday.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=129
Spiderplant then told me there's a jack socket...so ignore the bit where I say you need optical. If connecting to the V6 itself you need headphones that have a base station with a normal headphone connector and/or optical.

I'm guessing you have existing headphones you were planning on using given your wording.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 25-08-2020 at 09:01.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:27   #4
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Normally you would connect headphones to the tv not the v6 and its quite a common thing, what headphones have you been looking at?
I have some Sony over-the-ear Bluetooth headphones that I use to listen to music on my mobile phone. The sound quality is excellent and I wondered if it was possible to use them with my V6. My TV is a five-year-old B&O Beovision 11 and although it has a bewildering array of HDMI, Ethernet, USB and other connections at the back I am sure it does not have Bluetooth. That's why I think I might need a dongle.

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Here's what I told Vince on another thread just yesterday.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=129
Spiderplant then told me there's a jack socket...so ignore the bit where I say you need optical. If connecting to the V6 itself you need headphones that have a base station with a normal headphone connector and/or optical.

I'm guessing you have existing headphones you were planning on using given your wording.
I missed that post of yours. It was helpful. I have some Sony Bluetooth headphones that have excellent sound quality that I wish to use. Reading your (and Spiderplant's) posts it seems I would still need an optical dongle of some sort.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:29   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

This article called How To Connect Headphones To Any TV has answers heavyside. Including Bluetooth.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-c...nes-to-any-tv/
Old 25-08-2020, 09:33   #6
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

As the V6 apparently has a headphone socket (not got a V6 but you'd hope Spiderplant knows what he's talking about), you can get Bluetooth transmitters that connect to 3.5 mm headphone sockets. No idea if they're any good but Amazon have a large selection.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:37   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I'd forgotten about Bluetooth transmitters until I found that article (above).

I'll have a look at the selection for myself GrimUpNorth, using a 3.5mm socket they could extend the usefulness of many things.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:40   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Personally, I always think that if you can do it, connecting headphones to your TV is the better option.

It avoids any audio sync issues that comes from having the display output and audio output coming from different devices.

Though that does depend on the TV and whether the audio connection disconnects the TV speakers or not.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:49   #9
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
This article called How To Connect Headphones To Any TV has answers heavyside. Including Bluetooth.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-c...nes-to-any-tv/
Thanks for that link. I had a quick browse on Amazon and there are quite a few TV/Bluetooth adaptors there. When I have a little more time I will take a longer look. It's looking like it is simpler to connect Bluetooth headphones that I first thought.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Personally, I always think that if you can do it, connecting headphones to your TV is the better option.

It avoids any audio sync issues that comes from having the display output and audio output coming from different devices.

Though that does depend on the TV and whether the audio connection disconnects the TV speakers or not.
Yes, I will have to study this further. Thank you.

PS. Amazon have listed several USB Bluetooth dongles that I could plug straight into my TV which might do the job. I don't know how good the sound quality might be.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:59   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Headphones directly into the TV normally cut out the audio to the room in my experience. Fine in most circumstances as that's the point.

If you have a hard of hearing person needing personal attention it's probably easier if you come straight from the V6, it doesn't cut out the TV when you plug in optical. My own set-up comes from the V6 with no sync issues I've noticed.

Ours is mainly used for late night watching without disturbing others, so I could plug it into the optical on the TV itself, but I like the flexibility and since there's no noticeable delay I keep it as it is.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:16   #11
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Headphones directly into the TV normally cut out the audio to the room in my experience. Fine in most circumstances as that's the point.

If you have a hard of hearing person needing personal attention it's probably easier if you come straight from the V6, it doesn't cut out the TV when you plug in optical. My own set-up comes from the V6 with no sync issues I've noticed.

Ours is mainly used for late night watching without disturbing others, so I could plug it into the optical on the TV itself, but I like the flexibility and since there's no noticeable delay I keep it as it is.
The TV audio cut-out when connected via Bluetooth is a good point. I had not considered that. I notice that the V6 box has a USB port at the back. I wonder if I plug a USB/Bluetooth dongle in there whether the sound to the TV will be muted or even if the V6 USB port is reserved for something other than this. Hard to know for a non-techie like myself.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:30   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Fairly sure the V6 USB can't be used. Sure someone can confirm.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:51   #13
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Fairly sure the V6 USB can't be used. Sure someone can confirm.
You are correct. An online search tells me that the V6 USB port is currently disabled. I did find this on Amazon which might be the answer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGIANT-Bl...s%2C169&sr=8-3
Old 25-08-2020, 12:51   #14
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The V6 USB can not be used for data transfer but it is powered. It is switches the power off when the V6 goes into Eco sleep mode.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:00   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The V6 USB can not be used for data transfer but it is powered. It is switches the power off when the V6 goes into Eco sleep mode.
Thanks ozsat.