Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | problem with LAN connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

problem with LAN connection

Old 23-12-2008, 22:44   #1
nick conte
Inactive

nick conte is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with LAN connection

hi everyone

i'm new.
i'm on virgin broadband with a webstar modem.
just got a nice laptop and a linksys wrt54gs router and a 5mtr(yes five metre)fastcat cable.
when i plug them in i get a flag 'lan 3 a cable is disconnected'and obviously the router cannot be configured.
i've swopped the cables and they seem to work fine from the modem.
any ideas anyone,i wonder if the connection on the router is at fault?
all suggestions gratefully received

best regards

nick cone
nick conte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2008, 23:01   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: problem with lan connection

When swapping over the device connected direct to the modem, the modem must be powered off.

Wire modem to router WAN (internet).
Wire router LAN to computer

Boot up modem and let settle
Boot up router and let settle
Boot up computer and let settle.

If you are not getting a network connection or IP address (usually 192.168.1.xxx) to the computer, you need to look at the ethernet cable, the computer's network connection settings or the router - try a different port in the router.

If you are not getting an internet connection, but are getting a connection between PC and router i.e. you can browse the router admin page in internet explorer, you need to look at the ethernet or connection between modem and router.

Once you have wired connections working, then is the time to set up the wireless side of the config.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 14:41   #3
nick conte
Inactive

thanx for the reply

i followed your instuctions but still getting the error message
linksys website had instructions to 'ping' the router but the computer could not find it
would it be better to buy a virgin wireless modem/router.presumably this just connects to the cable and away you go,or are there likely to be issues setting up,as it seems to me the actual linksys router is not working

best regards

nick conte
Old 27-12-2008, 15:13   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

How are you posting at present? ethernet wired connection to your cable modem, or something different, if so what?

If you are using an ethernet connection then you know your computer's network port works, you also will know the ethernet lead between the PC and modem is OK. If powering computer and modem off, connecting the same ethernet lead between the router and computer, powering up router then computer doesn't get an connection to the router (normally a 192.168.1.xxx type IP address), then yes the router is probably faulty and you should take it back.

If you have tried playing about a bit with the linksys router, do a factory reset on it. If you have previously been using a USB connection between modem and PC, make your your ethernet port on your computer is enabled (network connections). Make sure too that it is set to auto on the network card's properties for TCP/IP.

It won't matter what type of router you get, whether it is a virgin supplied one, or linksys if it is something wrong on your computer. We need to be certain that isn't the problem first.
Old 28-12-2008, 17:51   #5
nick conte
Inactive

hi rob

thanx for your reply

yes i am posting thro an ethernet connection to the cable modem.i have used three different cat5 cables with the same results
i just checked the network card,it is enabled and the protocols are all set to auto.
i just had a bright idea and tried this set up with the laptop i want to use and it reported the same error'a network cable is disconnected
i think its back to pc world tomorrow

will keep you posted

best regards

nick conte
Old 28-12-2008, 18:32   #6
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Are you using the correct Ethernet cable? There are two types...straight (computer to switch/router) and crossover (computer to computer).

The way to tell which one you're using is by getting both ends next to directly each other, both clips facing towards the floor, so you can see the 8 individual wires inside the head.

You want to be using a straight cable, which the colour pattern should be as follows (left to right as you look down at them...make sure they're both the same)

White-Orange > Orange > White-Green > Blue > White-Blue > Green > White Brown > Brown.

If they aren't in that order, then you're using the wrong type of Ethernet cable.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 10:48   #7
nick conte
Inactive

Re: problem with LAN connection

hi chill

thanx for the advice
the cables i'm using are wired as you advised

just off to see the 'tech guys' at pc world,this should be good!

best regards

nick conte
Old 31-12-2008, 10:26   #8
nick conte
Inactive

hi everyone

sorted,well done pc world.
apparently the router had corrupted firm
ware which could be rectified,so i exchanged the unit to be safe and it is working fine with my new laptop connected but now my sons laptop(packard bell easynote R1938) refuses to recognize the wireless network.
in network connections 'no wireless networks were found in range'.it also warns'make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on'?
could anyone offer any advice?

best regards

nick conte
Old 31-12-2008, 10:42   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Is wireless enabled, and configured on the router - you'll have to log in from a wired PC via Internet Explorer.

Is wireless enabled on the laptop - check in network connections.
Old 31-12-2008, 11:40   #10
nick conte
Inactive

hi rob

wireless on the router is enabled,i'm using it to post this on my laptop.
on the other laptop,'wireless network connection' not connected
'no wireless networks were found in range'.

best regards

nick conte
Old 31-12-2008, 12:35   #11
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Is there a wireless on/off switch on his laptop? It's an easy thing to overlook.

Does his laptop use windows own wireless management service or something else installed by PB? Some of these can be flaky in my experience and I normally use the native windows service.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 19:34   #12
nick conte
Inactive

hi dainasty

thanx for your reply

i did an RTFM,you press Fn+F1 to turn the card on!
the network wizard has found my wireless connection but it cannot find the address it needs to allow me to connect.
any ideas as to the problem?

best regards

nick conte