Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-06-2008, 11:19   #8791
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
I have an observation... the "click here to help protect your privacy" reminds me of those adverts for fake spyware programs and I wonder if that will put people off clicking? Or would it perhaps capture the audience that we need to get to? eg those that are more likely to click that sort of fake advert?

edited to add... apart from that one observation (which may not even be an issue) the banner is absolutely spot on! good job!
Thanks

What would you prefer to see instead of Click me...?

(Its only a draft, so feedback will help improve)
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2008, 11:36   #8792
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

is a "click me" statement actually required? do most people know to click banners these days? How about "click here to find out more"? (although I know you already have something similar in the main text)

I know this is being pedantic (and I'm finding it hard to explain but here goes)... I wonder if people would be more inclined to click if it were for more information? Currently it sort of implies that clicking the banner will actually do something and people may be hesitant in doing that without more information. Am I making sense or being a blithering idiot? hehe

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Also, another suggestion, would it be a good idea to link the banner to a page on nodpi.org that summarizes the campaign perhaps like the flyer posted earlier in the thread?

If the information is layed out in a clear and concise way on the page it points to it would have a greater effect than people having to wade through blog posts to try and find out what it's all about?
Old 13-06-2008, 11:37   #8793
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Quote:
in doing that without more information. Am I making sense or being a blithering idiot? hehe
Yes and no... in marketing terms, it is good to hook the customer (hense black and white which will stand out more); include statements that will make the consumer interested; and also hilight that the consumer will be able to interact.

This sort of banner will probably have between a 5-10% sucess rate from people who view (based on interested parties who view only).

Now the harder part is hitting the professional, who would be more than likely to ignore anything that says, or implies 'click me'. But I don't think that is so much of an issue, as the campaign has drawn so many professionals already.

To hook others will take drawing their attention by throwing a name they know and trust - I'm working on this ATM.

Also, I am already working on drafts for teens, who will be the biggest audience. They will be harder, as we're hardly pushing Nike or Adidas
Old 13-06-2008, 11:37   #8794
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
is a "click me" statement actually required? do most people know to click banners these days? How about "click here to find out more"? (although I know you already have something similar in the main text)

I know this is being pedantic (and I'm finding it hard to explain but here goes)... I wonder if people would be more inclined to click if it were for more information? Currently it sort of implies that clicking the banner will actually do something and people may be hesitant in doing that without more information. Am I making sense or being a blithering idiot? hehe

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Also, another suggestion, would it be a good idea to link the banner to a page on nodpi.org that summarizes the campaign perhaps like the flyer posted earlier in the thread?

If the information is layed out in a clear and concise way on the page it points to it would have a greater effect than people having to wade through blog posts to try and find out what it's all about?
There is a new section going up on the site today called Events, which will have that sort of information in it specifically for the event.

Alexander Hanff
Old 13-06-2008, 11:38   #8795
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Quote:

The link will be automatically added to the gifs if using adSense, or the Webmaster will need to do it.
Old 13-06-2008, 11:41   #8796
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
There is a new section going up on the site today called Events, which will have that sort of information in it specifically for the event.

Alexander Hanff
superb!

I already know a couple of sites that I may be able to get this displayed on (if I ask nicely ). They have a combined 35k+ membership.
Old 13-06-2008, 11:51   #8797
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi, I had an idea about a World War 2 poster but I could not paste it (not very good with this sort of stuff!) I was looking at "A Walls Have Ears" type thing and came accross this. (below) Perhaps it could be modified by some clever person (copyright permitted) for our cause. Here is the link -

http://www.propagandaposters.us/poster11.html

Dave
Old 13-06-2008, 11:56   #8798
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

PHORM: “we can see all of the internet!”
YOUR ISP plans to partner with them

BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media…
Their aim is to profile their customers for Phorm’s advertising network, enabling
participating advertisers to target internet users more effectively.
This is a new kind of profiling, since every word of nearly everything you do on
the internet will be intercepted read and analysed.
The buzzword for this new technology is ‘data pimping’

Do you worry about your children’s safety online?
YOUR children’s internet activity isn’t even safe from being ‘Phormed’! They claim
that a user cannot be identified. Therefore they cannot differentiate between an
adult or child’s web activity. However, each user is given a unique identifier that
is recognised by the system

Concerned? You really should be.

Want to know more?
Visit the following websites for further information:

www.inphormationdesk.org
www.badphorm.co.uk
www.nodpi.org
Old 13-06-2008, 12:04   #8799
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
Hi, I had an idea about a World War 2 poster but I could not paste it (not very good with this sort of stuff!) I was looking at "A Walls Have Ears" type thing and came accross this. (below) Perhaps it could be modified by some clever person (copyright permitted) for our cause. Here is the link -

http://www.propagandaposters.us/poster11.html

Dave
Now these walls definitely have ears!

http://www.ajg41.clara.co.uk/mirrors/dungeness.html
Old 13-06-2008, 12:15   #8800
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Dunno if it's already been posted, but Google is working on tools that Joe Soap can use to find out if their ISP is tampering with their connection..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...agement_tools/
Old 13-06-2008, 12:16   #8801
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post

So it appears need a one-page, attention-grabbing, soundbite-based flyer. But I think the pdf at http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer_V1.pdf still works well as a factsheet to back it up.

I'll work on the shorter, more emotionally-based version over the coming week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper
again, i think (and i might be totally wrong on this) that hard core emotive soundbite facts would perhaps have been better to get the points engrained in any Memes they will pass on to their collective, BT/Phorm/PR have supplyed many choices to use after all....
There was a time (up to about 3 months ago) when I thought that most intelligent thinking people saw through the soundbite culture of modern media and could make up their minds based on the facts. (naive?)

Seeing the constant repeated soundbites from phorm:

"it takes consumer privacy protection to a new level"
"Our technology doesn't store any personally identifiable information"
"creating a new "gold standard" for user privacy"
"designed to make the internet safer and more relevant to internet users"
"Webwise can help protect you from suspected fraudulent “phishing” websites"
"In essence a safer and more relevant browsing experience."
etc etc

all with very little detail or substance. As my mum used to say 'all fur coat and no knickers'.

As the vast majority of people who understand the technical side of 'DPI for profit' are against it anyway and inphormationdesk.org covers the middle ground very well (thanks PG), maybe it's about time we aimed far more at joe public sun reader.

Hit them with the facts in a repeated soundbite sensationalist style (keeping the facts but NO technical details (I've seen the glazed over eyes look so many times over the last 3 months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild oscar
"Would you be happy having your phone tapped all the time?"
"Well thats what PHORM want to do do to your internet connection"
That's the ticket!!
Old 13-06-2008, 12:19   #8802
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

How about a banner along the lines of "Which UK ISP is going to record details of every page you visit? Click here to find out."
Old 13-06-2008, 12:29   #8803
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
There was a time (up to about 3 months ago) when I thought that most intelligent thinking people saw through the soundbite culture of modern media and could make up their minds based on the facts. (naive?)

Seeing the constant repeated soundbites from phorm:

"it takes consumer privacy protection to a new level"
"Our technology doesn't store any personally identifiable information"
"creating a new "gold standard" for user privacy"
"designed to make the internet safer and more relevant to internet users"
"Webwise can help protect you from suspected fraudulent “phishing” websites"
"In essence a safer and more relevant browsing experience."
etc etc

all with very little detail or substance. As my mum used to say 'all fur coat and no knickers'.

Long ago, I learned that people seem to get their info from soundbites. Look at the mobile phone ads for proof of this. People see "Free" in the headline, and because they don't read beyond that, are suprised when they find out that buying that "free" phone has commited them to thousands of pounds of expenditure over the life of the contract.
Old 13-06-2008, 13:08   #8804
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

just seen this

http://www.out-law.com/page-9173

"The Committee examined surveillance in public and private life, from CCTV and plans for a national ID card to credit card records and search engine logs. Warning of the risks of excessive surveillance, the House of Commons Home Affairs Committee called for a new approach"

phorm would make this easier for them to get the info, hmm, this why no prosecution of BT ????
Old 13-06-2008, 13:32   #8805
Delbuoy
Inactive

Delbuoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
I have an observation... the "click here to help protect your privacy" reminds me of those adverts for fake spyware programs and I wonder if that will put people off clicking? Or would it perhaps capture the audience that we need to get to? eg those that are more likely to click that sort of fake advert?

edited to add... apart from that one observation (which may not even be an issue) the banner is absolutely spot on! good job!
Ironically what we seem to need is targeted advertising
Closed Thread