Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | life on mars

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

life on mars

Old 11-04-2007, 11:58   #256
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation
Re: life on mars

I'm optimistic for Ashes to Ashes, Gene Hunt is a great character and can easily carry a series.
I loved the ended of LOM although I was shocked at first and couldn't really get my head around it..but it makes sense and as the article Cobbydaler linked to states, Sam living back in 2007 back to the boring drudge of modern day police work seemed very out of place considering what the character had gone through, a very unorthodox ending and something Hollywood would never have had the balls to do. The testcard girl at the end was pure genius.

I really hope this series is recognised by BAFTA. I hardly watch regular TV apart from catching the news but I've had a weekly appointment with BBC1 for every episode. Something I haven't done for a very long time.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2007, 12:22   #257
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

The one thing i will miss more than anything els is that beautiful beautiful Ford Cortina it was so much a part of the show

RIP cortina we we hardly knew thy

sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49   #258
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

He's going to have an original Audi Quattro in Ashes to Ashes....
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 13:28   #259
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

According to the lead writer, as interviewed by the Manchester Evening News:

1. Sam really was in a coma. He really did wake up. Then he committed suicide.
2. His return to 1973 occurs during the last couple of minutes of his real life, which is in 2006. However as it's a dream or coma state, who's to say how many years Sam may have back in the 1970s before he actually dies? The implication is he might live a lifetime in those moments.
3. The testcard girl was only supposed to symbolise 'the end', as in the end of Life on Mars, nothing more subtle than that.
4. The female DCI who is to appear in Ashes to Ashes is a psych profiler who has read the report Sam gave on his return to work in 2006 (we saw him briefly with a dictaphone right near the end) - including all he had to say about Gene Hunt. She is going to have an accident and end up in 1981 working with ... Gene Hunt. The new series will explore in more detail exactly who, or what, Gene is and what he symbolises.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 14:35   #260
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
I really hope this series is recognised by BAFTA.

"John Simm" - Nominated for Best Actor.

"Life On Mars" - Nominated for Best Drama

"Life On Mars" - Nominated for Audience Award.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 18:19   #261
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

I already know about the nominations, I meant win one :p.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 19:03   #262
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Yeah, let's hope it is recognised for the quality Tv that it is and for the great acting talent.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 21:34   #263
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

This really has been one of the best tv show's of the last 20 years if only thay made more show's that are as good as this !
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 22:19   #264
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot View Post
This really has been one of the best tv show's of the last 20 years if only thay made more show's that are as good as this !
Well, there is every reason to hope that the next series is going to be as good. The fact that they have been willing to take the format to a different city and a different decade (and give it a new title) while keeping the same basic premise at the core, is a good sign. If they had reneged on their promise not to do a third series of Life on Mars I'd have been worried, it would just have gone on and on and got wierd like Quantum Leap did.
Old 15-04-2007, 01:43   #265
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Well, there is every reason to hope that the next series is going to be as good. The fact that they have been willing to take the format to a different city and a different decade (and give it a new title) while keeping the same basic premise at the core, is a good sign. If they had reneged on their promise not to do a third series of Life on Mars I'd have been worried, it would just have gone on and on and got wierd like Quantum Leap did.
Beware, the Americans are killing off Life on Mars by making their own version, only it's based in 1972, not 1973. Are they deffo's making a series 3? Coz the ending of series 2 makes it look like there's gunna be more series'. Also on the BBC website it said it wouldn't be the last of Sam Tyler, is that an indication for a new series?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 01:50   #266
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Beware, the Americans are killing off Life on Mars by making their own version, only it's based in 1972, not 1973. Are they deffo's making a series 3? Coz the ending of series 2 makes it look like there's gunna be more series'. Also on the BBC website it said it wouldn't be the last of Sam Tyler, is that an indication for a new series?
I don't see why the Americans doing a remake would kill off Life on Mars, but according to the IMDB, production has been put on hold, for whatever reason.

According to the blogs, linked to earlier in this thread, there isn't going to be 3rd series, but a spin off, not involving Sam Tyler. Have a look in this thread for other links.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 02:06   #267
cimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't see why the Americans doing a remake would kill off Life on Mars, but according to the IMDB, production has been put on hold, for whatever reason.

According to the blogs, linked to earlier in this thread, there isn't going to be 3rd series, but a spin off, not involving Sam Tyler. Have a look in this thread for other links.
Well there's no need for them to remake it is there? Apparantly the actors who played Sam and Hunt got asked to starr in it, but they said no.
Old 15-04-2007, 14:47   #268
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
The US TV audience is notoriously less accepting of 'foreign' TV than we are over here. It is therefore quite common for production companies to sell the idea to the Yanks rather than the programme itself. In some cases I think it's a real shame, but in the case of Life on Mars, what enjoyment would a general US audience get out of the backdrop being 1970s Manchester? It doesn't mean anything to them.

Their TV tradition is very rich in this area, they have Kojak, Colombo, Starsky and Hutch ... they have more than enough 70s cop cliches to draw on without having to make do with ours.

And seeing as all those shows travelled over here much more readily than the likes of The Professionals did over there, I think ironically a British audience would probably warm to an American remake. I'd quite like to see it, anyway, if it ever gets made!
Old 15-04-2007, 16:27   #269
cimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
The US TV audience is notoriously less accepting of 'foreign' TV than we are over here. It is therefore quite common for production companies to sell the idea to the Yanks rather than the programme itself. In some cases I think it's a real shame, but in the case of Life on Mars, what enjoyment would a general US audience get out of the backdrop being 1970s Manchester? It doesn't mean anything to them.

Their TV tradition is very rich in this area, they have Kojak, Colombo, Starsky and Hutch ... they have more than enough 70s cop cliches to draw on without having to make do with ours.

And seeing as all those shows travelled over here much more readily than the likes of The Professionals did over there, I think ironically a British audience would probably warm to an American remake. I'd quite like to see it, anyway, if it ever gets made!
Ah ok, I see why now then. I'm sure it can't be as good as the UK version?
Old 16-04-2007, 12:29   #270
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Ah ok, I see why now then. I'm sure it can't be as good as the UK version?
America makes very good TV. I imagine it would be quite good but different to our version. Just like The Office became a different program in America after the first season
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote