Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:10   #13756
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

@betblow congratulations you just volunteered to update the wiki page with more info about the copyright issue :-)
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 12:12   #13757
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Of course it's been observed for a long time that Phorm Inc. are buying their own keyword from Google just for this very eventuality. But it costs them each time someone visits their page through the sponsored link rather than the top-place serach result they've just lost!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17   #13758
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

HamsterWheel,

Your avatar image appears to be a derivative's work of a copyrighted photograph. I hope you have purchased a licence for such use?

http://www.fotosearch.com/RBL008/a01346/
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17   #13759
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
I notice that the wiki page didn't have much to say about the copyright issue
However, it does link to http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=ConBlogEntry.425 which is an excellent article for explaining what is being copied off websites.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28   #13760
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

http://www.periscopeit.co.uk/news/ar...ring-storm/257

"The working practices of digital technology company Phorm have been found to be of use to the government in monitoring private web use, according to Public Servant Daily."

Umm... what?

-----------

Ah - here is the article: http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=6728

It talks about 'what critics' say...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:31   #13761
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Google Phorm.

Looks what's top... its not Phorm.
But note that Phorm have paid for a sponsored link.
(No doubt to ensure that they don't get burried)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
I notice that the wiki page didn't have much to say about the copyright issue
That point can easily be addressed.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32   #13762
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
http://www.periscopeit.co.uk/news/ar...ring-storm/257

"The working practices of digital technology company Phorm have been found to be of use to the government in monitoring private web use, according to Public Servant Daily."

Umm... what?
I wouldn't read anything into that. I think its based on this article:

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=6728

Quote:
Critics have accused the Home Office of being complacent and naive once it was clear that Phorm was upsetting customers. They allege that Phorm’s technology is of use to the government in monitoring the private use of the internet.
Pretty shoddy work on the part of the author.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34   #13763
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

A note from a friend...

Quote:
* Phorm plants first-person cookies in the name of various of the sites
that the user visits. *Richard Clayton has noted that it cannot be
guaranteed that these cookies will be invisible to those sites. This
raises the issue that an unexpected cookie arriving at the server, if
the server-side code works by enumerating the cookies, rather than
accessing specific cookies by name (something it is PERFECTLY entitled
to do - it was, up until now, entirely in control of its own
first-person cookies) then it may encounter a cookie containing
unexpected data that fails to parse, and cause server-side errors in
consequence.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39   #13764
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryles View Post
HamsterWheel,

Your avatar image appears to be a derivative's work of a copyrighted photograph. I hope you have purchased a licence for such use?

http://www.fotosearch.com/RBL008/a01346/
However I would like to add a Glass Houses caution. I for one have many past sins in this field, although now even every single piece of music I have on my PC is purchased.

That is why I dislike the copyright angle, as it throws the light on so much more than Phorm. A few years ago I was working on a news scraper. Without saying too much I was involved with a major national newspaper and their attitude to infringement was: We will not stand for people ripping us off, however we will rip off everyone else as long as we can get away with it, including photo royalties etc. They would literally buy the first edition of a rival paper and scan and clean up a photo and include in their own, and let legal sort it out if anyone complained.

I'm not making such a clear point here, but it is unlikely that a lot of content providers will kick up too much of a fuss in this arena because their own practices may come under scrutiny.

I thought elements of what we were doing with the scraper infringed copyright but it also brought a genuinely new dimension. Alas the service was never launched.

I guess I'm wary that copyright law derives from the middle ages when printing presses were first invented, and let him without sin cast the first stone at the likes of Phorm in the internet age as far as copyright is concerned. However there is RIPA, and I've always thought that this angle is rock solid against Phorm and the ISPs.

I know many of you have differing views on this, and I respect you on those views, no need to ingnite another flame, I'm just pointing something out.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40   #13765
phormwatch
Inactive

It's a fair point, oblonksy.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:41   #13766
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
Of course it's been observed for a long time that Phorm Inc. are buying their own keyword from Google just for this very eventuality. But it costs them each time someone visits their page through the sponsored link rather than the top-place serach result they've just lost!
Google were very clever when they decided to allow brands as part of the bid key words. The question is: does each click cost 8p or the default £2.50? It is interesting that the Google adwords tool associates the word 'phorm' with light and php scripts including smarty and forms, also design and maglites / flashlights including clip on book lights. No relevance yet for their products.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52   #13767
oblonsky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Google were very clever when they decided to allow brands as part of the bid key words. The question is: does each click cost 8p or the default £2.50? It is interesting that the Google adwords tool associates the word 'phorm' with light and php scripts including smarty and forms, also design and maglites / flashlights including clip on book lights. No relevance yet for their products.
Of course we know there are other companies called Phorm (http://www.phormdesign.co.uk/) who've been trading in the UK for longer than Phorm, and are in the website design business, so there are at least 2 companies have a right to buy that keyword in relation to internet marketing!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54   #13768
rryles
Inactive

oblonsky,

I haven't cast any stones. I was offering a friendly warning to our fellow forum member that he might want to reconsider his avatar. It's quite possible he wasn't aware of the copyright on the image. Even if he has purchased a licence I don't think he is keeping to the terms of that licence. (See 1.4.6 of
http://www.rubberball.com/services/license.html)
Old 12-08-2008, 12:55   #13769
oblonsky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryles View Post
oblonsky,

I haven't cast any stones. I was offering a friendly warning to our fellow forum member that he might want to reconsider his avatar. It's quite possible he wasn't aware of the copyright on the image. Even if he has purchased a licence I don't think he is keeping to the terms of that licence. (See 1.4.6 of
http://www.rubberball.com/services/license.html)
I know - it wasn't anything aimed at you, merely general points over where this argument may lead...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58   #13770
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
But note that Phorm have paid for a sponsored link.
(No doubt to ensure that they don't get burried)

That point can easily be addressed.

So if we link to the Phorm site from any of our own pages, we could make sure it is via the paid for link, - a sort of reverse OIX - using google to cost phorm money as a little protest against the way they plan to use Webwise to take traffic and visitors away from our websites.

Edit...
But I suppose it is illegal so we better not... ;-)
Closed Thread