Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 13:01   #13666
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

See the Reg has another snooping hit this time journalists tryoing to raise public awearness to snooping.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...ck_hat_snoops/

What is interesting is the mention of openVPN could be another way to secure our surfing from phorms affair.

I am on monthly package peak cap 45 gig offpeak 300gig if you are out most of the day then there are lower peak time allowences. Phorm phree since entanet will not accept the snooping. I also find there are no restrictions on the ports my 5meg connection hasn't dropped below 4meg at peak times.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2008, 13:22   #13667
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
cut...
What is interesting is the mention of openVPN could be another way to secure our surfing from phorms affair.
As a person who has set up and used OpenVPN I can vouch it is a very good package (for free), but it is unfortunately point to point. It gives a little privacy for connections from home to the office network, but does not answer the general browsing /Phorming / snooping problem for connections that are reliant on the ISP.
Old 11-08-2008, 13:32   #13668
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
As a person who has set up and used OpenVPN I can vouch it is a very good package (for free), but it is unfortunately point to point. It gives a little privacy for connections from home to the office network, but does not answer the general browsing /Phorming / snooping problem for connections that are reliant on the ISP.
what about web proxys ?
Old 11-08-2008, 13:39   #13669
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
what about web proxys ?
It could be done for one end of the connection and you could get a little more privacy if the proxy was beyond the ISP.

This is not the solution though, the solution is to prevent Phorm in the first place snooping on our Web Data.

Website owners will not have worldwide copyright protection as not everybody will have a solution in place.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:01   #13670
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Register;
Phorm papers reveal BT's backwards approach to wiretap law

Exclusive BT's long-held claim that legal advice said its Phorm trials did not breach wiretapping laws came under renewed scrutiny today, as documents revealed the firm approached government experts after it had secretly co-opted 18,000 broadband customers into the advertising targeting system.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:13   #13671
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Hi, Penguins now being used to explain behavioural targeting! Have Phorm thought of that one?

http://www.nma.co.uk/Articles/39127/...targeting.html

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-with-article/

Dave.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:18   #13672
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
clickz.com: B.T. Still Stalling Phorm Trials in UK

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3630476

Quotes Adam Liversage, BT.
Interesting to see they are now reverting to that wonderfully vague word "soon" instead of Gavin Patterson's AGM promise of a couple of weeks, (nearly four weeks ago) or earlier "three weeks" or "before the end of the month" or "BT plans technical trials of BT Webwise in April 2008" (the current public advice on the BT Webwise FAQ - and yes -I have pointed that out to them regularly, but they just don't care - and anyway they don't listen to a mere customer, even if he is pointing out embarrassing mistakes on their own web pages - or the earlier support statements "trials have already started (March 2008).

The incompetence of this organisation is truly staggering. To make one careless announcement, may be considered unfortunate, to make a whole series through an entire calendar year can only be regarded as corporate incompetence of the highest order. (Apologies to Lady Bracknell)

Presumably someone has management responisibility for this two and a half year ongoing foul-up, yet there are very basic things still embarrassingly WRONG.

How many BT executives does it take to change a light bulb?
"The light bulb has been fully tested, and presents no difficulties, it is inserted into the socket, and we do not feel that it is necessary to replace it. Extensive tests have been done to ensure that the light bulb is fully inserted in the socket, and that it is the correct light bulb for the fitting in question. We have sought, er, obtained, necessary electrical adv... er opinion, and are planning to replace the lightbulb soon. According to our helpdesk the lightbulb has already been replaced, but according to our press officer the light bulb will be replaced soon. Our Director, Value Added Lightbulbs, is available for lightbulb replacement media interviews, and our Lightbulb FAQ (updated 2/04/2008) gives up to date information on current lightbulb changing parameters. Actually we prefer the dark, as many of our activities do not look good when the lights are on. Extensive unpublished research conducted amongst our customers, indicate that many of them spend at least 8 hours a day in the dark, and prefer to sleep with their eyes shut, and therefore we feel that leaving the lightbulb as it is, will give them an enhanced obscurity and darkness experience. Thank you for letting us intercept your connection."
Old 11-08-2008, 14:22   #13673
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Register;

Exclusive BT's long-held claim that legal advice said its Phorm trials did not breach wiretapping laws came under renewed scrutiny today, as documents revealed the firm approached government experts after it had secretly co-opted 18,000 broadband customers into the advertising targeting system.
If that report is true, if I am not mistaken more porkies have been spoken by BT.
Legal advice taken? As much as you can get on the back of a postage stamp prior to the trials it seems.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:23   #13674
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Register;

Good article. I hope it appears on the front page soon- oops, just checked... there it is.

From the article:

>Meanwhile Register sources said there is "significant tension" within BT over the ongoing Phorm fracas, particularly between its Global Services and Retail divisions.

>It's understood that elements within Global Services, which on par with Retail generates about 40 per cent of the group's revenues, perceive their international reputation for competence on network security is being damaged by association. A spokesman for the group denied any split. He said: "I don't think that's true... I suppose I am refuting the suggestion."

Let's drive that wedge through.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:29   #13675
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
cut..

The incompetence of this organisation is truly staggering.
...cut
Perhaps not all the organisation is that incompetent, just the Retail Services.

I await the reports of the political infighting when the fan is truly mucked up by further disclosures !

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Good article. I hope it appears on the front page soon- oops, just checked... there it is.

From the article:

>Meanwhile Register sources said there is "significant tension" within BT over the ongoing Phorm fracas, particularly between its Global Services and Retail divisions.

>It's understood that elements within Global Services, which on par with Retail generates about 40 per cent of the group's revenues, perceive their international reputation for competence on network security is being damaged by association. A spokesman for the group denied any split. He said: "I don't think that's true... I suppose I am refuting the suggestion."

Let's drive that wedge through.
agreed!

The Register:
"It's understood that elements within Global Services, which on par with Retail generates about 40 per cent of the group's revenues, perceive their international reputation for competence on network security is being damaged by association."

Its is being damaged IMHO
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08..._bt_foi_dates/
Old 11-08-2008, 14:42   #13676
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Who put in the FOI request that the El reg article refers to ?

Quote:
The content of the correspondence are being kept secret by officials, who cite confidentiality exemptions under FOIA. The Home Office is currently conducting an internal review of that embargo.
on what grounds was this info withheld ?
Old 11-08-2008, 14:59   #13677
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Here is an another investor site which I found. It is based in the UK and has forums:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/

For those of you who are on iii.co.uk, you might also want to check this out.
Old 11-08-2008, 15:02   #13678
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post

Perhaps guilt at not having legal advice?
Old 11-08-2008, 15:02   #13679
phpscott
Inactive

phpscott is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the bit at the end
Quote:
Today BT's spokesman said invitations would be issued "soon". He refused to elaborate, citing fears the project would become a "hostage to fortune"
I take that it means that everyone is doing a great job of spreading the word and getting ready for the trails and BT are scared as to what will happen when the trails do start.
BT, just don't and make everyones life easier.
Old 11-08-2008, 15:07   #13680
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Good point. Exempted material can always be challenged through the Information Commission. I can't believe I just said that. Doh!

The phrase "oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive" is literally growing into itself...
Closed Thread