Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:20   #13531
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Strange. Thanks anyway.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2008, 09:51   #13532
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Can someone please post the text version of the Phorm flyer, which can be found here:

http://nodpi.wikispaces.com/Propaganda

Into this broadband forum:

http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/f...wforum.php?f=1

I can't seem to register at all, for some reason. I've tried switching browsers, disabling noscript, allowing cookies, et. al. Might be my hosts file or something...

Thanks.
BTW - the file names for the first two copies of the flyer on that url are the same so p resumably one of them is incorrect.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58   #13533
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

4everdns.com

http://forums.theplanet.com/lofivers...hp/t61549.html

Old 09-08-2008, 10:37   #13534
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Let's face it Pete, as I am sure you are aware, one of the reasons we are so aghast with this whole Phorm - WebWise - BT scenario is how did it it ever get this far?

My opinion would be to suspect that someone in BT either was negligent in their checks on Phorm and their unsavoury past (present in 2006?) history, or perhaps something more sinister and underhand went on to allow an alleged spyware company intercepting customers ISP web data without their knowledge.

Lets face it, if 121Media (Phorm) at the time had so desired in 2006, they were given access to lots of private (secret) information of unsuspecting customers and probably insufficient checks were in place to prevent anything untoward happening by BT. If what I have read on this forum is true and high level network security BT personal was unaware of what went on at the time, it would be very worrying.

I hope the police investigate the whole scenario do a really proper and in-depth job and find out what actually went on behind the scenes.

If there is anything underhand and untoward apart from the obvious illegalities or running the trials without permission, I hope heads will severely roll.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:56   #13535
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Let's face it Pete, as I am sure you are aware, one of the reasons we are so aghast with this whole Phorm - WebWise - BT scenario is how did it it ever get this far?
Agree completely. How BT ever got into bed with 121 Media defies comprehension.

I did wonder if the person who posted that analysis might have been a trial victim, who got confused by the injection of Javascript code into his pages (which in itself demonstrates what a stupid idea modifying anyones private communications is, for the telco not just the recipient).

But that post I linked to dates from April 2006, supposedly well before the BT trials in Q3/Q4 2006.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Quote:
I've been asked for an English explanation of that post, happy to oblige.

My interpretation is this;

The poster seems to have received spam concerning various 'controversial' topics.

When he followed links in the spam, he was taken to a site called 4everdns.com.

On the pages of 4everdns.com he found Javascript from sysip.net embedded in the pages. The script was grabbing IP addresses from visitors.

When he followed the name server details for sysip.net, he found 121 Media were responsible.

121 Media is the previous trading name of Phorm.

So to conclude...

Either
- the 'controversial' spam messages/host sites may have been linked to 121 Media
or
- there was possibly a trial of PageSense running in April 2006

Pete

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

If anyone is a member of Planet Forums, and wouldn't mind contacting the poster

http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showuser=20935

If so questions to ask
- Which ISP were you with in April 2006?
- Did you keep a copy of the spam emails?
- Did you keep a copy of the pages involved?
- Were any other pages affected, or was it only 4everdns.com?

Pete
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59   #13536
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
cut...
So to conclude...

Either
- the 'controversial' spam messages/host sites may have been linked to 121 Media
or

Pete
My interpretation also. If I could add, the information is not implying any possible trial was with BT.

EDIT: I see you have made that clear in your last edit request.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03   #13537
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Agree completely. How BT ever got into bed with 121 Media defies comprehension.

I did wonder if the person who posted that analysis might have been a trial victim, who got confused by the injection of Javascript code into his pages (which in itself demonstrates what a stupid idea modifying anyones private communications is, for the telco not just the recipient).

[snip]

121 Media is the previous trading name of Phorm.

So to conclude...

Either
or

Pete

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

If anyone is a member of Planet Forums, and wouldn't mind contacting the poster

http://forums.theplanet.com/index.php?showuser=20935

If so questions to ask
- Which ISP were you with in April 2006?
- Did you keep a copy of the spam emails?
- Did you keep a copy of the pages involved?
- Were any other pages affected, or was it only 4everdns.com?

Pete
Given the information available here.
http://www.digitallook.com/news/shar...R&D_costs.html

It was more than likely, both forms of activity at the same time!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:51   #13538
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

the deeper we dig !!!
Old 09-08-2008, 13:02   #13539
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
got this reply from VirginMedia today regarding DPA notice. Mr. Woodham makes a couple of points I thought you should see.

Phil

http://www.phillyn.pwp.blueyonder.co.../virgindpa.jpg
Old 09-08-2008, 13:19   #13540
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
the deeper we dig !!!

Can anyone confirm whether the Petition Website is Up or Down, I have been unable to view it for 2-3 hrs, although the main site is still up?
Old 09-08-2008, 13:32   #13541
zwade
Inactive

zwade is on a distinguished roadzwade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the Petition Website is Up or Down, I have been unable to view it for 2-3 hrs, although the main site is still up?
I'm able to view the list of petitions, but not view any of them.

Having said that, the whole site seems to be running slow.
Old 09-08-2008, 13:33   #13542
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
It works for me. Currently 16813 signatures.
Old 09-08-2008, 13:38   #13543
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

If you click on any petition and wait about 10 minutes, it will eventually load.
Old 09-08-2008, 13:39   #13544
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

its running slow on that side of things it`s still there all 16813 sigs and climbing.
Old 09-08-2008, 13:52   #13545
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Hi all,
got this reply from VirginMedia today regarding DPA notice. Mr. Woodham makes a couple of points I thought you should see.

Phil

http://www.phillyn.pwp.blueyonder.co.../virgindpa.jpg

Well, I'm not believing much of what he's saying there :P

By the way, I got a call from VM the other day asking why I'd cancelled. The woman on the other end then felt it necessary to remind me repeatedly that I'd not get as good a service or supply from any other supplier, and that there was 'no way' I could get equivalent speeds on ADSL. The woman I spoke to at Be, on the other hand, has informed me that the contestion ratio on my line is 1:1, and that because of the exchange and its distance from me I should very easily be able to get up to 24mb.

I did remind everyone I spoke to in VM about Phorm, and made a point of mentioning it to the guy trying to sell me BT broadband packages as well - apparantly he'd never heard of them.

BT must be raking in the money over this though - what we don't seem to have considered is people who want to leave VM's cable service, and so have to shell out for a phone line from BT before they can get any replacement
Closed Thread