Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:11   #13471
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Thanks Rob,

Maybe if a few of us send it in they're more likely to include them.
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 08:21   #13472
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Terms and Copyright © 2007 PPI

snip

I am going to ask them how thiey reconcile this with the deployment of Phorm

Phil

text of email sent to passport office

Sir,
Reproduced below are terms, copyright notices taken from your site. Also your stated policy regarding information held by yourselves.

I would be grateful if you could tell me how you will seek to reconcile your stated policy and protect this information you hold when and if PHORM is implemented by BT and Virginmedia. You state in the underlined section unauthorised copying or reproducing etc is prohibited but this is exactly what the Phorm system entails. If you take no action to protect this information you will in my opinion be condoning and participating in what has already been admitted,by BT themselves, to be an illegal act after their illegal interception of data transmissions in Sept/Oct 2006 and June 2007. Regardless of any opt in opt out procedure it is my understanding that data will still pass through this system making your assurances obsolete and worthless.

I would be grateful for your comments on this matter and correction where I am in error

Your sincerely
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/privacy.asp

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/copyright.asp

There is plenty on that site to quote at the Home Office and DBERR (don't forget DBERR) in any letters about the copyright issues around Webwise.

Maybe the ICO might like to read it too.

But BT won't need to worry about that, it doesn't apply to them. They've sought er obtained um legal opin.. er advice. Intercept, scrape, copy, profile, exploit - BT can do it, just don't do it yourself (especially on a BT connection)

Isn't it ironic - the mods here quite rightly, warn us about pasting large amounts of copyright text, but Emma Sanderson says their legal advice is that they can copy to their hearts content, make derivative works, and exploit them for the commercial gain of 3rd parties. And at the same time, chase down filesharers and throttle ALL non port 80 activity etc etc etc.

Their lawyers must be very very clever people to be able to face so many ways at once.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Thanks Rob,

Maybe if a few of us send it in they're more likely to include them.
Yes- it's good that they are obviously preparing - with a few NebuAd sites listed, and a "section" ready and waiting for Phorm IPV4 assignment sites to be added. Quite cheered me up that did. Once Phorm and Webwise sites are included then the MVPS hosts file can be included in publicity. I think a lot of people use it - the MVPS designation is well respected.

I know it is "blocking" rather than "preventing" the system, but every little helps, and if the market isn't there, because of things like the MVPS hosts entries, then Phorm's market model collapses even further.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:42   #13473
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

as BT are "supposedly" going to try and sneek phorm / BT Webwise out during the games would it not be worth added a few lines to that effect on nopdi and various other sites so if people go looking for olympic info the may find a anti phorm page and be alerted?

just a thought

peter
Old 08-08-2008, 08:57   #13474
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
as BT are "supposedly" going to try and sneek phorm / BT Webwise out during the games would it not be worth added a few lines to that effect on nopdi and various other sites so if people go looking for olympic info the may find a anti phorm page and be alerted?

just a thought

peter
I don't think there's a great urgency attached to Phorm. I wonder if BT aren't simply stalling Kent Erfdfsf, praying for Phorm to self destruct. The lack of publicity tells me Webwise isn't something they are very proud about.

So I'd be wary of frightening people unnecessarily.

In any case, suppose Phorm is introduced, we have an eternity ahead. And, without repeating myself on the details, BT will suffer commercially every day until it is switched off.

Pete.

PHORM MUST BE STOPPED
Old 08-08-2008, 09:01   #13475
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I don't think there's a great urgency attached to Phorm. I wonder if BT aren't simply stalling Kent Erfdfsf, praying for Phorm to self destruct. The lack of publicity tells me Webwise isn't something they are very proud about.

So I'd be wary of frightening people unnecessarily.

In any case, suppose Phorm is introduced, we have an eternity ahead. And, without repeating myself on the details, BT will suffer commercially every day until it is switched off.

Pete.

PHORM MUST BE STOPPED
i am not so sure, so added a line to my front page warning, if it only stops 1 user from being phormed the 30 seconds were worth it

peter
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30   #13476
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Wonder if they relise Phorm is what people fled from VM numbers dip.

El REg http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...in_q2_results/

Seems our Government has been collecting data from all who visit these shores including CC details why? This is Personal data they have no right too gather suppose if there is any illegal money transfers the visitors can now say someone from UK government had my details seems they are handed over by some epassport thjing you visit UK they open you up for a live autopsy and cash balance withdrawl Have they gone totaly mad???????

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...cret_services/
I can see UK tourisum the next down the pan especially since they don't even have the freedom to surf the internet while here without being spied on also....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51   #13477
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

LOL read the last few lines

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...wanted_poster/
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55   #13478
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
El reg strikes again have to admit never thought of that one...

Suppose this is how they always have worked hiding the code inside something people were led to believe was safe bit like Phorm and the protection racket that hides the adware/spyware pimping clicks for adverts..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...ve_phishermen/
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14   #13479
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
The new MVPS HOSTS file is out - there is now a line for Phorm IPV4 IP ranges but no actual entries, although the NebuAd section definitely has some interesting domains - what effect is this going to have?

And how do we get the Phorm ranges included? Are they waiting for implementation before they block or are they open to information?
I believe the chap at MVPHosts was asked about including the Phorm ranges a couple of months ago and his reply was posted here (or maybe on one of the other forums). Since we cannot sensibly search in this thread I cannot find the posting.

I remember at the time he said something about the Phorm/Webwise domains changing hands (but no idea where he got that info from...). But until Phorm actually starts he really can't do anything as he would be speculating what urls they will be using. The fact he has now added a section for them indicates he knows about Phorm and will due course add them. But he can do nothing until they actually start to be used, and knows what can be blocked and what can't (as it would kill your browsing).

Remember you can always add them yourself...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:19   #13480
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Does anyone have php code that alerts people to phorm? and makes it very clear you do not want your site advertised by phorm? just i am in the middle of deign some web sites for uploading to open source sites but i want ti very clear phorm is not welcome.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:22   #13481
Ravenheart
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Does anyone have php code that alerts people to phorm? and makes it very clear you do not want your site advertised by phorm? just i am in the middle of deign some web sites for uploading to open source sites but i want ti very clear phorm is not welcome.
Try taking a look at Dephormation Pete's tools

http://www.dephormation.org.uk/?page=17

Hope this helps
Old 08-08-2008, 10:24   #13482
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Advocate View Post
It appears that there was a brief (about an hour), but major outage at the Kingston exchange (kt1 - RAS?) during the last 24 hours ...

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/history/304.htm

(thanks to Don on bt.broadband.support).

Of course this could just be a coincidence, and of course I'm not making any assumptions, but ..

D_A
It might interest some people to know that BT's flagship datacenter in Cardiff [home to 21CN] suffered two unpublicised (to my knowledge) major power outages when power failed and the generators failed to kick in. (and I mean major outage).

Working in my field you get to hear about the odd DataCenter failure, but they are really as rare as hen's teeth. Level3 took a battering in London, one from a flood and one from a break-in iirc. But I hardly ever hear about them being due to faulty Datacenter hardware that's designed to protect the site from outages.

If BT put these profilers in there and the place goes down, you're looking at a 24-48 hour downtime for the internetfor those connecting through Cardiff.

This probably only relates to 21CN stuff (i.e. BT spin-off companies and others on 21CN jumping on the bandwagon if it goes ahead).
Old 08-08-2008, 10:27   #13483
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:

have a look on www.dephormation.org.uk

petes got a good collection of tools up there, i have a working IIS jave script as well

peter
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40   #13484
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

deporhmation definition has one to alert people to phorm only problem is they do not have one to make it clear you do not want phorm to intercept yoru website data. Oh well i will write one and post the code here

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Is the depormation site javascript meant to say i have a opt-out cookie?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45   #13485
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
deporhmation definition has one to alert people to phorm only problem is they do not have one to make it clear you do not want phorm to intercept yoru website data. Oh well i will write one and post the code here

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Is the depormation site javascript meant to say i have a opt-out cookie?
try http://www.dephormation.org.uk/?page=6
Closed Thread