Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 19:34   #5956
declanh
Inactive

declanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Am I reading this right? Phorm shares took a serious beating today and closed at 12.5? Or are the iii charts being crap again (they have a habit of being very slow to catch up I have noticed).

Phorm are in the danger zone now, I was talking to a financial expert in the media last week who felt if Phorm shares dropped below 12.00 they have lost and people will just dump everything they have (in his opinion). Phorm share price is being watched very closely by the traders and analysts at the moment and is classed as a very high risk stock. As many of you know I had a 1 hour long chat with a journalist from the Financial Times last week who is writing an article on exactly that issue (high risk technology stocks) which is due to be published in the Investors Chronicle in the near future.

Keep the pressure up folks.

Sorry I have been quiet the last couple of days I am up to my neck in uni work and have two pieces due in on Friday (one of which is my dissertation). I have to confess I find it very difficult to motivate myself to do mundane coursework (such as decision support systems) when I am working on such a huge issue as Phorm.

I want to see that share price drop into the 1100 zone tomorrow.

Alexander Hanff

I prefer these charts
http://finance.google.co.uk/finance?q=phorm
dunno how often they are updated but its nice to see the annotations with the 'news events' and to be able to change the date range by sliding the two controls under the graph.

Update -
according to LSE closing price was 1,375.00

http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=PHRM
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 19:35   #5957
James_Firth
Inactive

James_Firth is on a distinguished roadJames_Firth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Just one of my alter egos - first post on a share price forum.
This was you? Do you actually have this email? Sorry I don't doubt you, I would however like a copy if that's okay - like to read between the lines.

As you know, and as I posted earlier, I put a letter to BT outlining my concerns about the cookie model and I really do like to think they actually are listening. You never know I may actually stay on as a customer when my 18-month contract expires this summer.
Old 07-05-2008, 19:41   #5958
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Am I reading this right? Phorm shares took a serious beating today and closed at 12.5? Or are the iii charts being crap again (they have a habit of being very slow to catch up I have noticed).
Looks like there was a trade of £50k, marked as a delayed publication. Google had reported it closed in the mid 1300's, but has now updated.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

Unfortunately, the volumes are still low. When we see the £million sales, we will know they are on the out.

My thoughts on this are that most of the small investors have got out now and the vast majority of stock is held by bigger bods who are more likely to play a longer game, but i'm certainly no expert.

Look out for shoreing tomorrow - £5K trades a quid above the going rate. Money straight out of Kents coffers.
Old 07-05-2008, 19:43   #5959
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpaul View Post
Alexander,

You are reading the share price wrong

It lost 12.5p today

The shares are trading at 1375p at the moment

More bad news can some change that though , I am surprised that the delay to the BT trials has not had some effect yet
According to iii there was a sale of 4000 shares at 12.50 at 16:46 this afternoon (total value of sale £50000) which is why I asked if their charts and summary were being slow at updating again. Certainly 50 000 / 12.50 = 4000 but there is a ? next to sell in the "Type" column.

Alexander Hanff
Old 07-05-2008, 19:44   #5960
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the guy at the register needs a poke about getting a BT response about the delay in the trial.
Old 07-05-2008, 19:51   #5961
gaz1
Inactive

gaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
So, have Virgin Media changed their terms and conditions under the radar?

certainly looks like it over at ispreview

If this is correct, shouldn't customers be inphormed that T&C's have changed?
it looks like they have but what concerns me is this section g2

By having the services we provide installed in your home and/or by using them you are giving us your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the purposes of providing you with our services, service information and updates, administration, credit scoring, customer services, training, TRACKING use of our services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data), PROFILING YOUR USAGE and PURCHASEING PREFERENCES for so long as you are a customer and for as long as is necessary for these specified purposes after you terminate your services. We may occasionally use third parties to process your personal information in the ways outlined above. THESE third parties are permitted to use the data only in accordance with our instructions.

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT G7

By having our services installed in your home and/or by using them you consent to our transferring your information to countries which do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK if necessary for providing the services. If we do make such a transfer, we will put a contract in place to ensure your information is protected

now thats a worry
Old 07-05-2008, 19:54   #5962
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1 View Post

By having the services we provide installed in your home and/or by using them you are giving us your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the purposes of providing you with our services, service information and updates, administration, credit scoring, customer services, training, TRACKING use of our services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data), PROFILING YOUR USAGE and PURCHASEING PREFERENCES for so long as you are a customer and for as long as is necessary for these specified purposes after you terminate your services. We may occasionally use third parties to process your personal information in the ways outlined above. THESE third parties are permitted to use the data only in accordance with our instructions.

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT G7

By having our services installed in your home and/or by using them you consent to our transferring your information to countries which do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK if necessary for providing the services. If we do make such a transfer, we will put a contract in place to ensure your information is protected

now thats a worry
That is very worrying can see most VM customers details out on the open market I thought all ofshore had to be our DATA protection so Kent can have our details in Russia or China or anywhere he decides to put his servers for cheapness..
Old 07-05-2008, 19:54   #5963
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Looks like there was a trade of £50k, marked as a delayed publication. Google had reported it closed in the mid 1300's, but has now updated.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

Unfortunately, the volumes are still low. When we see the £million sales, we will know they are on the out.

My thoughts on this are that most of the small investors have got out now and the vast majority of stock is held by bigger bods who are more likely to play a longer game, but i'm certainly no expert.

Look out for shoreing tomorrow - £5K trades a quid above the going rate. Money straight out of Kents coffers.
...I'm reminded that according to current holding.... 22% of ANY share losses are realized by 'that polite american gentleman'... pmsl
Old 07-05-2008, 20:05   #5964
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Well VM have also hit the timesonline with their reduced churn they leanrt to cook the books also.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...null&offset=24

Are we all daft or something does he not think VM customers are digital literate?

What is the churn now then I left so that is one more that it would have been
I posted this on badphorm a while ago, but with Berkett now talking about reducing churn, seems more apt:

From the patent here:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...3&DISPLAY=DESC

Quote:
From the above, it will be appreciated that there are many potential advantages to ISP-level monitoring of network traffic. Moreover, many of these advantages may be obtained through anonymously-gathered information, that is, through anonymously gathering current page information, browsing history, browsing configuration, IP address, etc. Listed below are further exemplary applications of the described system and method.

ISP Churn Rate Reduction The described system and method may be employed to target likely ISP defectors (user's whose browsing behavior indicates they may discontinue the ISP subscription) with targeted promotional messaging. Customers leaving to competitor ISPs may be targeted with competitive offerings or other targeted content.
Old 07-05-2008, 20:28   #5965
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
I posted this on badphorm a while ago, but with Berkett now talking about reducing churn, seems more apt:

From the patent here:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...3&DISPLAY=DESC
I note how in the patent they discuss throwing ads at people looking at competitors, my real concern is how long before they simply block the competitors? Also, how is advertising your own services classed as "relevant targeted advertising" if the subscriber is actually browsing nothing but your competitors? To me it would seem wholly irrelevant advertising.

Alexander Hanff
Old 07-05-2008, 20:30   #5966
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Phorm are in the danger zone now, I was talking to a financial expert in the media last week who felt if Phorm shares dropped below 12.00 they have lost and people will just dump everything they have (in his opinion). Phorm share price is being watched very closely by the traders and analysts at the moment and is classed as a very high risk stock. As many of you know I had a 1 hour long chat with a journalist from the Financial Times last week who is writing an article on exactly that issue (high risk technology stocks) which is due to be published in the Investors Chronicle in the near future.

Keep the pressure up folks.

Sorry I have been quiet the last couple of days I am up to my neck in uni work and have two pieces due in on Friday (one of which is my dissertation). I have to confess I find it very difficult to motivate myself to do mundane coursework (such as decision support systems) when I am working on such a huge issue as Phorm.

I want to see that share price drop into the 1100 zone tomorrow.

Alexander Hanff

You should post this useful information over at iii for the investors (the ones that want to get out before losing their shirts).

Btw keep up your work with your studies, I too found a fantastic project to engross myself with about a month before my finals.
Old 07-05-2008, 20:40   #5967
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
You should post this useful information over at iii for the investors (the ones that want to get out before losing their shirts).
I am not registered on iii and have no urge to do so. But feel free to paste me

Alexander Hanff
Old 07-05-2008, 20:43   #5968
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Good luck Alexander and all others who are in uni with work to be handed in. Is your dissertation the phorm work Alexander?
Old 07-05-2008, 21:10   #5969
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1 View Post

NOW TAKE A LOOK AT G7

now thats a worry

the UK's higher company management are responsible for having lots of 'dodgy' T&C (otherwise known as unlawful) clauses inserted into the consumer contracts , just because its stated in the T&C consumer contract ,doesnt make it absolute in UK law.

good faith, contractual equal rights as regards the consumer contracts is set in stone, as is mandated 'written notice' and the forms it must take to constitute said UK legal rules to protect and inform the UK consumer.

just as an example, this
"for so long as you are a customer and for as long as is necessary for these specified purposes after you terminate your services"
part of the clause, can be deemed unlawful and so the WHOLE clause becomes invalid under the unfair terms legislation for instance....

as i have already said, whoever drew up this latest T&C needs to be given their P45 or retreave the retainer , and VM (in this case) need to pay a real consumer contracts legal team to re-write them to the factual UK law thats fair, equal, and "in good faith" for both partys.....

just to be clear, there is no Uk law or statute that permits the retension of, processing of, or exporting to the 3rd party of YOUR data (never mind personal data) after a consumer contract has been terminated.

and thats before you even consider any seperate official DPA notices you may have instructed them to comply with.

the consumer contract is no longer in legal play, so no clauses (to the companys favour) in that said contract can be deemed in force...Ever.
Old 07-05-2008, 21:11   #5970
Richard D&R
Inactive

Richard D&R is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticed this letter in yesterday's Independent. Couldn't see it mentioned here.

Privacy? What have you got to hide?

Sir: I have been a dissatisfied Virgin Media customer for about 18 months. Since I am about to move house, I contacted the Virgin Media customer-service centre to request the cancellation of my broadband service. The customer service representative gave me the standard spiel: "Can I ask why you don't want to continue your subscription – we can move your service to your new address" and so on. I did not want to get into my reasons for leaving, but he was very insistent. In the end, I gave in and told him that I objected to Virgin Media's adoption of the controversial web-tracking technology known as Phorm/Webwise/OIX.

His response was predictable: "I don't think you understand this properly, let me explain...", to which I replied that not only was I fully aware of the inner workings of the technology (being an IT professional), but I objected to it on principle and saw it as a breach of my privacy.

His response was unbelievable. He said: "So, have you got something to hide then, Tom?"

After a pause, I asked whether he was insinuating that I was a terrorist or a paedophile, to which he replied "Well, it's pretty clear you have something to hide."

I am pursuing this matter with Virgin Media and have been assured by a manager that this was a one-off incident. I am slightly suspicious of this assertion, however, as call-centre employees are trained to follow scripts and to respond to questions in specific ways.

Tom Cunliffe

Oxford
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...an-821624.html
Closed Thread