Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 16-01-2017, 23:39   #46
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Nope, just tried to watch one of the programmes that it failed to record via On Demand. In return I get a black screen and silence with none of the buttons doing anything.

Now waiting for another reboot to complete (which will mess up my evening recordings too).

I think you are wise to wait until these problems are sorted out Max.
I always wait when new products first come out Richard, especially things like STB's or anything high tech, there always seems to be problems with software glitches etc, it does seem ridiculous that they have released this box and people like yourself are having to contend with rebooting etc, just not good enough imo, I hope you get things sorted though..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2017, 00:14   #47
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Nope, just tried to watch one of the programmes that it failed to record via On Demand. In return I get a black screen and silence with none of the buttons doing anything.

Now waiting for another reboot to complete (which will mess up my evening recordings too).

I think you are wise to wait until these problems are sorted out Max.
Wouldn't a temporary fix not be to stop putting your boxes into standby? I leave mine on all the time and have no problems.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 00:31   #48
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Wouldn't a temporary fix not be to stop putting your boxes into standby? I leave mine on all the time and have no problems.
Wouldn't a better answer be to have actually THOROUGHLY tested before rushing it out before Christmas.

The reply to an earlier posting about "workaround is to disable 1080i" simply beggars belief.
Old 17-01-2017, 09:00   #49
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Wouldn't a better answer be to have actually THOROUGHLY tested before rushing it out before Christmas.
Well, then you and others would have been complaining about the delay in introducing the new box.

This is a very competitive industry and timing is crucial. Sky have already introduced their Q box, with all its initial faults.

Personally, I am delighted to have received my two V6s, which have made my life a lot easier and improved the quality of my viewing. I really appreciate the increased speed of the box, the connectivity between the two boxes I now have and of course, the six tuners on each box.

Anyone reading these forums would have gone for the early adopter option well aware that updates would be required for issues with the V6 that still needed to be put right. Those who did not want to take that risk, like Mad Max, shouldn't have ordered the box at this stage. Max took the right decision for him, so he's not as mad as all that, is he?

As for the perpetual critics and moaners, I am afraid that they will never be satisfied, no matter what Virgin do.
Old 17-01-2017, 09:07   #50
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

The reply to an earlier posting about "workaround is to disable 1080i" simply beggars belief.
All things are thoroughly tested be it Virgin , Sky or other suppliers but that will never get rid of all the bugs as even now you can get the occasional bug years after a box is released nationwide.
Old 17-01-2017, 09:43   #51
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
All things are thoroughly tested be it Virgin , Sky or other suppliers but that will never get rid of all the bugs as even now you can get the occasional bug years after a box is released nationwide.
I can't disagree that the software and hardware is thoroughly tested, but testing just identifies issues. Now whether these issues gets fixed or not before release to the public is another matter. Quite often a fixed release date trumps the desire to fix an issue.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:35   #52
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

A Dodgy V6 is better than a good Tivo
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:16   #53
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, then you and others would have been complaining about the delay in introducing the new box.

This is a very competitive industry and timing is crucial. Sky have already introduced their Q box, with all its initial faults.

Personally, I am delighted to have received my two V6s, which have made my life a lot easier and improved the quality of my viewing. I really appreciate the increased speed of the box, the connectivity between the two boxes I now have and of course, the six tuners on each box.

Anyone reading these forums would have gone for the early adopter option well aware that updates would be required for issues with the V6 that still needed to be put right. Those who did not want to take that risk, like Mad Max, shouldn't have ordered the box at this stage. Max took the right decision for him, so he's not as mad as all that, is he?

As for the perpetual critics and moaners, I am afraid that they will never be satisfied, no matter what Virgin do.
Exactly Old Boy, VM are damned if they do, damned if they don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
A Dodgy V6 is better than a good Tivo
You nailed it in nine words!
Especially as SCART lovers just need to fork out £20 for a converter on Amazon.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 16:22   #54
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

I've found that it freezes momentarily for maybe 0.5 of a second then carries on. First noticed this in iPlayer then watching a recorded programme. In iPlayer the timing of this was almost predictable. I came out of iPlayer and reloaded it and it was ok.
While watching a programme from My programmes it happend a few times then was OK.
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 16:56   #55
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Exactly Old Boy, VM are damned if they do, damned if they don't!

You nailed it in nine words!
Especially as SCART lovers just need to fork out £20 for a converter on Amazon.
£13 on Ebay so
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 17:19   #56
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

The same arguments happened with Tivo. OB sums up the sensible choice of every TV subscriber:

Quote:

I had both Tivo and V6 from the get-go and have had zero problems with both.

Interesting that a Sky TV user is the one doing most of the moaning.

Its interesting that Richard has had problems with both Tivo and the V6. I'm not saying this is the case, but does the problem come from elsewhere, i.e. VM's network to his premises or ancillary equipment connected? With such problems, it's worth looking at all aspects. HDMI handshakes often cause problems.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 21:49   #57
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Changed from sky to virgin last Friday.

Downstairs V6 box has had green background and green tinge on live to and recordings 4 of the 5 days I have switched on since then.

This can be resolved by re-booting the box, however concerned this should not happen virtually every day.

Spoke to CS who knew of the problem on previous TiVo boxes but thought it was resolved.

Engineer coming Sunday am to have a look (although Sod's law says it will be ok then) - visit is mainly to sort out my missing phone line.

I also found this evening I am unable to watch a recording downstairs from the upstairs box - this was quite an important feature for me, which appears not to work for some reason?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 08:35   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Changed from sky to virgin last Friday.

Downstairs V6 box has had green background and green tinge on live to and recordings 4 of the 5 days I have switched on since then.

This can be resolved by re-booting the box, however concerned this should not happen virtually every day.

Spoke to CS who knew of the problem on previous TiVo boxes but thought it was resolved.

Engineer coming Sunday am to have a look (although Sod's law says it will be ok then) - visit is mainly to sort out my missing phone line.

I also found this evening I am unable to watch a recording downstairs from the upstairs box - this was quite an important feature for me, which appears not to work for some reason?
I had the same problem with not being able to watch my recordings on the alternative box. Turned out the router was set on the 2.4 rather than 5 setting. CS sorted this out for me from their end and it works now.
Old 19-01-2017, 13:25   #59
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I had the same problem with not being able to watch my recordings on the alternative box. Turned out the router was set on the 2.4 rather than 5 setting. CS sorted this out for me from their end and it works now.
There is no reason it shouldn't work on the 2.4ghz setting. In fact I've had it working while connected to 2.4ghz.
Mythica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 13:57   #60
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
There is no reason it shouldn't work on the 2.4ghz setting. In fact I've had it working while connected to 2.4ghz.

Certainly, it can work on 2.4 - on two occasions before my router was altered, I managed to get into my other box. However it was unreliable. Now I'm on 5G, the problem I had before has disappeared.