Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview area problem!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freeview area problem!

Old 02-11-2008, 15:28   #16
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Freeview area problem!

If your signal is that weak, I'd suggest getting one of these aerials: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60215/...h-Gain-Digital

I'll be getting one to put on the roof at home, as we're on the edge of the Tacolneston transmitter, and cannot get 5 on analogue, and the Freeview is not the best it could be. I know this'll improve when analogue gets switched off, but 3 years is a long time.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2008, 16:18   #17
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: Freeview area problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
Analogue bearing does not have complete correlation to digital services at all. In all of the places I've ever lived there has been a poor, snowy analogue picture on some channels. Why not borrow a friend's digibox and see if it works? Is your aerial pointing at the primary transmitter or the local one?
i don't have to borrow a box i have one here that i bought when i had the new ariel installed obviously it has never got used yet but, when the installer was here he said it was on the whitehawk transmitter so i take it it is on that one (the arial is pointing in that direction) so yes it is on the local transmitter

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
Yes I would echo what chris has said. On wolfbane they haven't enabled the post switch over coverage predictor yet. Currently the official figure is something like 73% of the country can get freeview. After 2012 it will be in the 90%s. The wolfbane stuff you posted is currently a field strength of 29. That is certainly low but people have had digital working fine on that field strength level. You are 5 miles from the transmitter. If you actually look at your transmitters data you will see what the power levels of the muxes are 3 are on 400Watts, two are on 200Watts and the other 1000 Watts. When things get sorted out the new average will be 4000 Watts. It seems fairly likely to me looking at those figures that freeview will work now with a quality aerial but even if it didn't it should most certainly after switch over.
ok thanks for the advise i think i will have to wait until nearer the time then as i can't get a thing at the mo, i went to alltrade to get my arial and just asked for the best one they had for digital high gain with amplifer it cost just under £100 with all the bits and bobs to go with it, it's a Televes DAT 45 TV Aerial + MRD so it should be good.
in the meantime i will look into getting a sat dish installed in the garden, i think that might be in the realms of a possiblity, so i will try that route would prefer freesat if poss as i think there will be more to offer on there in the future.
anyway thanks everyone for your advise i'll see how i get on
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote