Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Old 17-05-2008, 15:01   #31
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

the UKTV channels are not UK terrestrial tv channels so wtf are you on about ?
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2008, 15:08   #32
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
the UKTV channels are not UK terrestrial tv channels so wtf are you on about ?
Right back at you! WTF?

I know UKTV are not terrestrial, I said that they were in Sky's Variety pack.
Old 17-05-2008, 15:11   #33
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

well why did you bring the UKTV channels into what i said then ?
Old 17-05-2008, 15:19   #34
Losttheplot

Quote:
well why did you bring the UKTV channels into what i said then ?
Ahem, Dagnamit!

OK I misread your post I apologise.

I wouldn't mind but I re-read it and still didn't notice till the third time.
Old 17-05-2008, 15:23   #35
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

not a problem i just didnt get what you meant from what i said anyways dont worry about it
Old 17-05-2008, 20:03   #36
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
- Ethernet, therefore no possibility of a broadband return path and therefore nothing even close to VOD from the iPlayer or 4OD
My Sky HD box has an ethernet port...

Not yet enabled, but it's there for "future use" (VOD, IIRC).

Quote:
Not very long ago, none of the 'main' UK channels, including the BBC, were FTA. All of them were paying Sky for encryption services and the *only* way to get any of them via satellite in the UK was to pay Sky for a subscription.

I thought that the "main" UK channels (BBC etc.) were FTV, not subscription-only, before they finally went FTA? Encrypted, but no need to pay...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 21:38   #37
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I thought that the "main" UK channels (BBC etc.) were FTV, not subscription-only, before they finally went FTA? Encrypted, but no need to pay...
yes thats correct the UK terrestrial tv channels have never been pay tv, ppl are confusing them with the Irish channels which are pay tv channels on Sky

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:
My Sky HD box has an ethernet port...

Not yet enabled, but it's there for "future use" (VOD, IIRC).
thanks for the info i thought that i had red somewhere that they have an ethernet port, but i wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up
Old 18-05-2008, 16:01   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Quote:
yes thats correct the UK terrestrial tv channels have never been pay tv, ppl are confusing them with the Irish channels which are pay tv channels on Sky
Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

Quote:
thanks for the info i thought that i had red somewhere that they have an ethernet port, but i wasnt too sure. thanks for clearing that up
Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 16:18   #39
Losttheplot

Quote:
Let's not confuse Free To View (FTV) and Free To Air (FTA). Until the BBC took the initiative and shifted its content to Astra 2D, it was impossible to see their channels on satellite without buying a Sky viewing card.

And until this month, with the launch of Freesat, you still have to have a viewing card from Sky if you want to watch any of the other 'FTV' channels - ITV, C4 and C5. Actually C5 still isn't broadcasting 'in the clear' due to outstanding rights issues.

In all these cases, it is action by the BBC, moving towards a Freesat service, that has brought about change. As of this month, I can view these channels by satellite without paying Sky a penny. Thanks to Freesat. Not thanks to Sky.

Not much use when there's no software in the box to do anything with it, though. Unlike the Freesat spec, which has the complete package for manufacturers to build in if they choose - as they have done, and will be selling within 6 months. Like I said, you're really grasping.
ITV has been FTA for a long time now.
Sky had integrated TV's when they first launched digital - they didn't take off.

There are no channels currently available on Freesat which aren't currently available on a Sky box, without a smartcard. For now I'd stick with a Sky box cheap from ebay.
Old 18-05-2008, 16:32   #40
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I'm not confusing anything

You said "the *only* way to get any of them via satellite in the UK was to pay Sky for a subscription."

I pointed out that before they went FTA, they were FTV - which meant that although they required a viewing card, due to being encrypted, they were still "free" & did not require a subscription.

Paying a one-off £20 for a viewing card - or simply using an expired viewing card - isn't the same as having to "pay Sky for a subscription".
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 17:27   #41
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Quote:

? how can anyone get confused ? its simple really FTA means that any receiver can view the channels, FTV means that a viewing card & a Videoguard receiver are required but you dont pay a subscription. aswell as getting five's channels you also get Setanta Sports News as it is FTV. the BBC & ITV have been FTA long before freesat ever came along so thats beside the point.

btw ITV is FTA not FTV & it has been for along time as have all of their channels.

Quote:
again you cant compare equipment that isint even out yet as no one (other then testers/engineers etc) has used it.
Old 18-05-2008, 18:15   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
? how can anyone get confused ? its simple really FTA means that any receiver can view the channels, FTV means that a viewing card & a Videoguard receiver are required but you dont pay a subscription. aswell as getting five's channels you also get Setanta Sports News as it is FTV. the BBC & ITV have been FTA long before freesat ever came along so thats beside the point.

btw ITV is FTA not FTV & it has been for along time as have all of their channels.
Again, you're - mistakenly - equating your own expert knowledge of this subject with that of the man in the street. The difference between free-to-air and free-to-view is not plain and obvious, unless you have a certain amount of background understanding in this area.

Sadly your expertise in the technical side of this subject doesn't extend to the communication of it to the non-technical public. But as I said earlier, that's why you're an installer, not a marketeer.

Quote:
again you cant compare equipment that isint even out yet as no one (other then testers/engineers etc) has used it.
Again, you can. It's simple. It goes something like this:

The Freesat spec, as published to hardware manufacturers, includes both ethernet connection and software in the box to drive it.
The Sky spec, as published to hardware manufacturers, specifies an ethernet connection (for the HD box only, so far as we know) but there is currently no software to drive it.

And why are you speaking as if only a handful of developers have ever had their hands on this, when the Panasonic freesat-integrated HDTV, with ethernet, was demo'ed to a room full of journalists at the Freesat launch the other week? It's not still in development, it's a finished product that is being manufactured ahead of a launch that will begin with their plasma range as early as next month. As stated on their own website: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_711712

Oh, I'm forgetting, the option of an integrated TV set and a working ethernet port sort of blows your Freesat-offers-nothing-new argument out of the water, just a little bit. That'll be why you're scrabbling about for spurious reasons not to include those inconvenient facts in your comparison of the two services.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 19:09   #43
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

? how is knowing the difference between FTA & FTV expert knowledge ? iv already explained about comparing equipment that has not been released yet.
Old 19-05-2008, 19:38   #44
Losttheplot

I can't understand how having an ethernet port makes Freesat cutting edge?
Old 19-05-2008, 21:02   #45
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

me either but Chris T seems to think that its the best thing ever lol also the hardware is what enables it, not freesat & the ability have been available for some time, as its nowt to do with freesat its to do with the hardware.