Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Login

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Login

Old 09-04-2012, 20:25   #61
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Login

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I chose to leave early and that is confidential information, but in the main most people had little issue with the device with the exception of hardened users such as yourself.
So in your opinion as someone who would know, would you say most of the problems were with people who expected too much from a low end modem/router, as I suspected?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 20:28   #62
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

if a "cheap end" router is designed to have memory leaks and non working features then yes
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 20:30   #63
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
So in your opinion as someone who would know, would you say most of the problems were with people who expected too much from a low end modem/router, as I suspected?
I had no issues in router mode when I received mine last February and 6 months later went to modem mode using my own Edimax N router, both devices reached my back garden from my front bedroom but I am still using the Edimax.

It is down to the kind of performance you want from a router, they should have just bought quality Cisco and Motorola modems straight of the shelf and let customers supply their own wireless routers if they required wifi.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 20:52   #64
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

I had a SuperHub installed on Thursday, I've had no problems with it so far. I've got it in modem only modem with Linksys E2000 Router.

borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 22:41   #65
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I had no issues in router mode when I received mine last February and 6 months later went to modem mode using my own Edimax N router, both devices reached my back garden from my front bedroom but I am still using the Edimax.

It is down to the kind of performance you want from a router, they should have just bought quality Cisco and Motorola modems straight of the shelf and let customers supply their own wireless routers if they required wifi.
I don't have any problems either. It looks like a case of VM trying to provide a better service for the majority of users. But there will always be people who have to moan because it doesn't reach their high standards.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12   #66
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I don't have any problems either. It looks like a case of VM trying to provide a better service for the majority of users. But there will always be people who have to moan because it doesn't reach their high standards.
Virgin Media doesn't exactly push their broadband as a budget or "no frills" option.

-It's one of the most expensive consumer broadband products (if not THE most expensive) in the country
-They made some customers pay for a Superhub, when they don't even own it
-Claims such as "The best wireless broadband performance available", "Fantastic range, so you can work further away from your router" and "unbeatable wireless"

If anyone is to blame for "high standards" (perhaps that should be "high expectations"), it's the claims that Virgin Media makes about its "hero product".

ISP-provided routers aren't usually great, but other ISPs don't make as much fuss about them.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03   #67
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Virgin Media doesn't exactly push their broadband as a budget or "no frills" option.

-It's one of the most expensive consumer broadband products (if not THE most expensive) in the country
-They made some customers pay for a Superhub, when they don't even own it
-Claims such as "The best wireless broadband performance available", "Fantastic range, so you can work further away from your router" and "unbeatable wireless"

If anyone is to blame for "high standards" (perhaps that should be "high expectations"), it's the claims that Virgin Media makes about its "hero product".

ISP-provided routers aren't usually great, but other ISPs don't make as much fuss about them.
I'm not defending them for their marketing at all. In fact I have a website where I campaign against retailers who use exaggeration, hype, gimmicks and even lies in their marketing.

The fact is that if you want the best product, then you pay a high price. And never expect to get a top product as part of a package, unless you have paid to upgrade. If you have paid for the Tivo, and it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, then you have a case against VM on the grounds of SOGA
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31   #68
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Mine works fine on 2.4ghz 300mbp.. but apart from a kindle, an old G laptop and a single PC on a USB N adaptor (all within 20ft of the hub) I'm not exactly pushing it. I can understand though that it is poor range and also pushing the hub that makes it fall to pieces..

Great for simple work but if you want to push it then modem mode is the way to go
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 00:23   #69
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

My mate has a small black modem on 10meg i know i can log in locally but can i do it from the internet??
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 01:23   #70
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you could via logmein free, remote desktop.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 08:43   #71
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
you could via logmein free, remote desktop.
…or cross platform TeamViewer (free for non-commercial).
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 10:10   #72
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Or VNC (free for everything)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote