Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Login

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Login

Old 08-04-2012, 20:23   #46
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Login

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
If yours works fine then get VM to take a copy of the firmware and use the same one on everyones superhub...... oh wait.... you do have the same bug ridden firmware as everyone else. If the superhub was bug free then why would VM invest so much time and money into releasing updates for it
Mine works fine, but yours doesn't. They have the same update installed. So this would lead anyone using common sense to realise that there are one of three problems:
  1. The power levels that keep being mentioned (mine are all about 5), but I have seen it mentioned many times that the SH doesn't like power levels above 10.
  2. Your SH has a fault.
  3. The settings are wrong
  4. There is interference in your local area

Whatever the cause it is up to VM to sort it out, otherwise it is unfit for purpose.

Quote:
If you really were trying to find out why it doesnt work properly, you could either listen to what people say on here, take in their opinions, not be so sarcastic and generally unpleasent, and use the info. Or conduct your own testing, and do us all a favour and not bother posting on here
I have listened to what people say. But when I ask someone if they have tried different channels, and the answer they give doesn't even mention the channels, then that is their fault for not reading my post properly, not mine.

Quote:
Ill repeat, every superhub has the same bug ridden firmware, whether you use the buggy functions or not is irrelevant, the bugs still exist. And I do keep on at VM, mostly on the forums
And you should keep on pestering them until they sort the problem out. Personally I would suggest phone calls, letters, and involving OFCOM, rather than forums.

Quote:
where do you get this data from? Have you done a survey of every VM customer with a superhub? with 100% response rate? no, no-one has. And as they are exactly the same hardware and firmware on every device the firmware bugs are going to be there on every device, as I mentioned earlier, most of them are only set off in certain conditions
No I haven't, but neither have you!

I do have many friends who have SH's, and not one of them seems to have a problem. So this would lead anyone to believe that most people don't experience a problem.

Now I am trying to look at this problem from a different perspective than those who are experiencing problems. And I am looking at it with a more balanced point of view than that of someone who is getting really stressed out by the issue.

It seems that many people are just accepting that there is a problem, and they are just switching to modem mode, and then have to go to the expense of buying a router. And by doing this people are playing right into VM's hands. What people should be doing is complaining to VM until they get the matter sorted. And also involving OFCOM, and even Watchdog. If the pressure isn't put on VM, then they won't make it a priority. But if they are forced to pay for peoples routers, then they will.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2012, 20:44   #47
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Mine works fine, but yours doesn't. They have the same update installed. So this would lead anyone using common sense to realise that there are one of three problems:
  1. The power levels that keep being mentioned (mine are all about 5), but I have seen it mentioned many times that the SH doesn't like power levels above 10.
  2. Your SH has a fault.

Whatever the cause it is up to VM to sort it out, otherwise it is unfit for purpose.
  1. My power levels and SNR are perfect
  2. As I mentioned, every superhub has a fault, whether you notice it or not depends on where you are, whats around you, what devices are connected to it, what services you use, etc, etc, etc
  3. I would be curious as to what "settings" I have wrong
  4. There is interference everywhere, in my area, there must be more than others, but even so, every other router I have tested manages, why cant the superhub?

And VM cant 'sort out' interference, they can work with netgear to sort out the firmware out though

And by the way, thats 3 bullet points, seems your maths skills are as good as your networking ones

Quote:
I have listened to what people say. But when I ask someone if they have tried different channels, and the answer they give doesn't even mention the channels, then that is their fault for not reading my post properly, not mine.
I showed you a screenshot of Inssider which showed other routers were using every 2.4ghz channel available, strange how other routers manage on any channel despite this, and the superhub flops

Quote:
And you should keep on pestering them until they sort the problem out. Personally I would suggest phone calls, letters, and involving OFCOM, rather than forums.
Didnt bother with ofcom, escalated it to the CEO office and got a VMNG300

Quote:
No I haven't, but neither have you!

I do have many friends who have SH's, and not one of them seems to have a problem. So this would lead anyone to believe that most people don't experience a problem.
Your right, I havent, but im not the one making claims like "most superhubs work perfectly"

and im surprised you have friends, especially ones without problems, mind you, having you as a friend is probably classified as a problem

Quote:
Now I am trying to look at this problem from a different perspective than those who are experiencing problems. And I am looking at it with a more balanced point of view than that of someone who is getting really stressed out by the issue.
I agree you should be getting so stressed

Quote:
It seems that many people are just accepting that there is a problem, and they are just switching to modem mode, and then have to go to the expense of buying a router. And by doing this people are playing right into VM's hands. What people should be doing is complaining to VM until they get the matter sorted. And also involving OFCOM, and even Watchdog. If the pressure isn't put on VM, then they won't make it a priority. But if they are forced to pay for peoples routers, then they will.
yes, many people are accepting there is a problem, that is, apart from you, your superhub is the extra-super-special-hub that wipes your backside for you

And how is buying a router falling into VMs hands, Im not buying a router from VM, my money went to Asus, and it was £70 well spent

If you think VM are going to buy every customer a router then you are mistaken, the CEO office knocked £30 off my bill when they gave me the VMNG to cover the cost of a router I consider that to be a nice gesture seeing as I was going to buy myself a router anyway
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:21   #48
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
  2. Your SH has a fault.
Two things:

1) Isn't that FOUR things not THREE? So much for "common sense"...

2) You don't realise that software can behave differently in different scenarios and configurations. Have you never had a program crash (something like a web browser or Windows) when you do a task that you've carried out hundreds of times before?

The Superhub offers many, many possible ways to configure and use it. Likewise, the cable network itself has a similar range of configurations to offer. I don't experience any wireless problems with the Superhub anymore - that's probably because I stopped using the wireless on it!
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:26   #49
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

That will never happen as Virgin Media will never buy a customer a wireless router just because they dislike the Superhub wireless and want to use modem mode, if customers want to use their own router then they would be better off buying a device of their own choice rather than the cheapest device that Virgin Media would supply if forced into such a daft scheme.

Remember prior to Virgin media bringing out the Hub's customers in the main were expected to buy there own routers if they decided to go wireless and the were a couple of schemes were Virgin Media supplied firstly the Netgear WGR614 G router and after they released 50Mb they offered the D Link DIR615 neither router exactly highend equipment.

Those devices were adequate for the average user but many people wanted to pay for much better equipment so supplied their own.

So do you think that for one second that Virgin Media are going to commit commercial suicide and offer to purchase a router of your choosing if you believe that then you must be smoking something rather strange and illegal.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 22:15   #50
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
  1. My power levels and SNR are perfect
  2. As I mentioned, every superhub has a fault, whether you notice it or not depends on where you are, whats around you, what devices are connected to it, what services you use, etc, etc, etc
  3. I would be curious as to what "settings" I have wrong
  4. There is interference everywhere, in my area, there must be more than others, but even so, every other router I have tested manages, why cant the superhub?

And VM cant 'sort out' interference, they can work with netgear to sort out the firmware out though

And by the way, thats 3 bullet points, seems your maths skills are as good as your networking ones

I showed you a screenshot of Inssider which showed other routers were using every 2.4ghz channel available, strange how other routers manage on any channel despite this, and the superhub flops

Didnt bother with ofcom, escalated it to the CEO office and got a VMNG300

Your right, I havent, but im not the one making claims like "most superhubs work perfectly"

and im surprised you have friends, especially ones without problems, mind you, having you as a friend is probably classified as a problem

I agree you should be getting so stressed

yes, many people are accepting there is a problem, that is, apart from you, your superhub is the extra-super-special-hub that wipes your backside for you

And how is buying a router falling into VMs hands, Im not buying a router from VM, my money went to Asus, and it was £70 well spent

If you think VM are going to buy every customer a router then you are mistaken, the CEO office knocked £30 off my bill when they gave me the VMNG to cover the cost of a router I consider that to be a nice gesture seeing as I was going to buy myself a router anyway
I must say that you are extremely rude and arrogant to someone who is only trying to help.

You may know more than me about networking, but I probably know more than you about consumer rights, and the way to get problems with a product sorted out. You say that you have sorted out your problem by escalating it to the CEO's office. Well that hasn't sorted it out for many other people who may have a similar problem. And quite frankly it is a very selfish solution. If you hand all the other people who are experiencing problems with the SH, took the problem to OFCOM, or Trading Standards, then VM would be forced to sort the problem out. If as you say, other routers don't have a problem, then VM obviously aren't giving it priority.

If your problem has been sorted, why are you still whinging? And why is your head burried in the sand, and can't accept that many other people aren't experiencing problems. And why do you resort to throwing insults at anyone who says they aren't experiencing a problem?

If you think I am a secret plant from VM, then you can think again. I'm been jumped on by VM lovers many times for daring to criticise them, as you will see if you read some of my early posts.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Two things:

1) Isn't that FOUR things not THREE? So much for "common sense"...
Sorry about that, I added the 4th as an afterthought.

Quote:
2) You don't realise that software can behave differently in different scenarios and configurations. Have you never had a program crash (something like a web browser or Windows) when you do a task that you've carried out hundreds of times before?
Yes I do realise that. But if you read my posts I'm not trying to say there isn't a problem. I'm trying to find out what the problem is from a consumer rights point of view. But all I am getting is extremely rude people who think I'm defending the SH.

Quote:
The Superhub offers many, many possible ways to configure and use it. Likewise, the cable network itself has a similar range of configurations to offer. I don't experience any wireless problems with the Superhub anymore - that's probably because I stopped using the wireless on it!
And you shouldn't need to stop using the wireless. It should be up to VM to sort the problem. Why should you have to go to the expense of buying a router because they won't sort the problem?

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
That will never happen as Virgin Media will never buy a customer a wireless router just because they dislike the Superhub wireless and want to use modem mode, if customers want to use their own router then they would be better off buying a device of their own choice rather than the cheapest device that Virgin Media would supply if forced into such a daft scheme.

Remember prior to Virgin media bringing out the Hub's customers in the main were expected to buy there own routers if they decided to go wireless and the were a couple of schemes were Virgin Media supplied firstly the Netgear WGR614 G router and after they released 50Mb they offered the D Link DIR615 neither router exactly highend equipment.

Those devices were adequate for the average user but many people wanted to pay for much better equipment so supplied their own.

So do you think that for one second that Virgin Media are going to commit commercial suicide and offer to purchase a router of your choosing if you believe that then you must be smoking something rather strange and illegal.
I'm looking at this from a consumer law angle. If VM supply a combined modem/router that doesn't work, then it isn't fit for purpose. And they can be forced to either solve the problem, or find an alternative. This is why I have been trying to find out exactly what the problem is, and how many people experience this problem. As I have said, I don't have a problem, and neither does anyone else I know. Which is why I was wondering if people are expecting too much from what is obviously a low end product.
Old 08-04-2012, 22:28   #51
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I must say that you are extremely rude and arrogant to someone who is only trying to help.
I have a habit of retaliating to such ignorance, for which I apologise

Quote:
You may know more than me about networking, but I probably know more than you about consumer rights, and the way to get problems with a product sorted out. You say that you have sorted out your problem by escalating it to the CEO's office. Well that hasn't sorted it out for many other people who may have a similar problem. And quite frankly it is a very selfish solution. If you hand all the other people who are experiencing problems with the SH, took the problem to OFCOM, or Trading Standards, then VM would be forced to sort the problem out. If as you say, other routers don't have a problem, then VM obviously aren't giving it priority.
Im failing to see how its a selfish solution, I complained to my ISP about a problem related to my ISP and got my problem sorted, seems like good service to me

Quote:
If your problem has been sorted, why are you still whinging? And why is your head burried in the sand, and can't accept that many other people aren't experiencing problems. And why do you resort to throwing insults at anyone who says they aren't experiencing a problem?
Who said I had a problem, the only things with a problem here are you and the superhub, the fact is that I am currently using the superhub and would like it to perform better, which it is capable of with a firmware update, mine running in modem mode so the only problem im getting is the increased ping and jitter, which I have complained about here
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...m/td-p/1085487

Quote:
If you think I am a secret plant from VM, then you can think again. I'm been jumped on by VM lovers many times for daring to criticise them, as you will see if you read some of my early posts.
Nope, I dont suspect VM of having a forum troll department

Quote:
I'm looking at this from a consumer law angle. If VM supply a combined modem/router that doesn't work, then it isn't fit for purpose. And they can be forced to either solve the problem, or find an alternative. This is why I have been trying to find out exactly what the problem is, and how many people experience this problem. As I have said, I don't have a problem, and neither does anyone else I know. Which is why I was wondering if people are expecting too much from what is obviously a low end product.
VM have acknowledged a fault and are working on a fix, that will satisfy ofcom alone, never mind the fact that theres a 'working' modem mode to use. You must also understand no-one is expecting too much, besides a fully working device
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53   #52
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

I know what angle you are using but they have provided kit that works for the majority and also allowed modem mode to allow use of 3rd party equipment so they will not have to fund anyones purchase of a router as it would be as I mentioned above commercial suicide to instigate such a program.

All bases are covered to prevent something like this ever happening.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:29   #53
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I know what angle you are using but they have provided kit that works for the majority and also allowed modem mode to allow use of 3rd party equipment so they will not have to fund anyones purchase of a router as it would be as I mentioned above commercial suicide to instigate such a program.

All bases are covered to prevent something like this ever happening.
I know what you are saying. And you are right as long as it is only the minority of people who are having problems. Or if those who are experiencing problems aren't expecting too much of the system. In which case VM could be forced the problem out one way or another. This is why I've been trying to find out how many people are experiencing problems. But it seems that some people just won't accept that it doesn't affect everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:55   #54
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I know what you are saying. And you are right as long as it is only the minority of people who are having problems. Or if those who are experiencing problems aren't expecting too much of the system. In which case VM could be forced the problem out one way or another. This is why I've been trying to find out how many people are experiencing problems. But it seems that some people just won't accept that it doesn't affect everyone.
Very few people have issues and those that do tend to buy their own routers.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:08   #55
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Very few people have issues and those that do tend to buy their own routers.
I understand that you work for VM?

If so, I don't suppose you could give us figures?
Old 09-04-2012, 20:19   #56
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I understand that you work for VM?

If so, I don't suppose you could give us figures?
Used to work for them now working for one of our largest banks.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:19   #57
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

he was made redundant a while back, but even then he didnt get access to that kind of data
Old 09-04-2012, 20:21   #58
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
he was made redundant a while back, but even then he didnt get access to that kind of data
I chose to leave early and that is confidential information, but in the main most people had little issue with the device with the exception of hardened users such as yourself.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:23   #59
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Used to work for them now working for one of our largest banks.
Oh I see.

Did you deal with customers enough to get a rough idea of the sort of percentage of customers with problems?
Old 09-04-2012, 20:24   #60
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I chose to leave early and that is confidential information, but in the main most people had little issue with the device with the exception of hardened users such as yourself.
Sorry, i know its confidential but you did post a lot of info about it so i didnt think you were bothered.

And I still agree to disagree about the superhub

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Quote:
Oh I see.

Did you deal with customers enough to get a rough idea of the sort of percentage of customers with problems?
no he didnt