Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sharing Internet using Netgear FS608v2 Switch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sharing Internet using Netgear FS608v2 Switch

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25   #1
Ashok0119
Inactive

Ashok0119 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sharing Internet using Netgear FS608v2 Switch

Hi,

I am novice to networking and thot of sharing my internet connection to my two computers. So, yesterday I bought a new FS608V2 Switch, to share the ADSL internet connection with my two computers. I also bought Straight Ethernet cables for this purpose.

I connected the DSL Router/Modem to Port 1 and one computer to Port 2 of the switch with straight cables. In this case network icon in computer gave a message “the Network Cable unplugged”.

But when I tried to connect my computer with the switch with a Crossover Cable I could access the internet thru the switch.

Kindly let me know which cable I should use to connect my computers with the switch (Straight/Crossover) to get internet connection to both my computers?

Do i need to attache anymore component to make the network work properly, kindly guide me.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Ashok0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2009, 17:27   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Sharing Internet using Netgear FS608v2 Switch

Hello and to the forums.

From what I can see this is a switch and not a router.
You will be fine connecting one Pc to it and as you have found out you got internet access.
However, if you connect another computer to the switch you will find that the switch can not handle requests and route data for both connections to the Internet.
What you need is a router.

Nearly all routers have a built in switch which lets you connect all your devices but then the added thing it has compared to the swtich is it's ability to route data between the modem and your various Internet connected devices without getting confused.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote