Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Files discrepency

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Files discrepency

Old 18-05-2013, 13:27   #1
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Files discrepency

Hi
I keep my master mp3 files on my laptop. They are backed up (manually) on my NAS and music server.

However recently I wanted an mp3 I thought would be on my laptop only to find it was missing, as were a few others from the same directory. They were however present on my NAS & server.

Looking into this, I have different files numbers and folder number across all three platforms. I have no idea how this has happened.

Is there such a program like Visual Differences that will allow me to see across all three sources what is different?

TIA
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2013, 15:28   #2
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Files discrepency

1. run cmd.exe to get a command prompt. Then do it again, so that you have two of them open next to each other.
2. in each window go to the directories that you want to compare. (Using 'cd' commands. If you're not comfortable with this, then you should probably go with the external utilities, unless you want to learn command prompt stuff.)
3. type 'dir /b > A.txt' into one window and 'dir /b > B.txt' into the other. You'll now have two text files that list the contents of each directory. The /b flag means bare, which strips the directory listing down to file names only.
4. move B.txt into the same folder as A.txt.
5. type 'fc A.txt B.txt'. The command 'fc' means file compare. This will spit out a list of the differences between the two files, with an extra line of text above and below each difference, so you know where they are. For more options on how the output is formatted, type 'fc /?' at the prompt. You can also pipe the differences into another file by using something like 'fc A.txt B.txt > differences.txt'.

hth
Old 19-05-2013, 22:55   #3
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Not sure about comparing three different locations but for comparing two you can use MOBZync

As well as showing you with colours the differences in a side by side view, you can tell it to search all the subfolders and just show you the differences in the results. As far as I remember you have to map the network drives to a drive letter rather than using a UNC
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 11:03   #4
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Rather than backing up manually, why not use something like Allway Sync, I've used it quite happily for some years now, with auto backups (one way) to an external USB drive just to give me some security in case of main HD failure. I've never had any issue with mismatching of files and once set you can pretty much forget about it.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:26   #5
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Not sure about comparing three different locations but for comparing two you can use MOBZync

As well as showing you with colours the differences in a side by side view, you can tell it to search all the subfolders and just show you the differences in the results. As far as I remember you have to map the network drives to a drive letter rather than using a UNC
I tried this and on the surface seems to be OK. However it is marking files newer when they have exactly the same size and date and when using DOS compare, appear to be the same. Any suggestions?
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:37   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
I tried this and on the surface seems to be OK. However it is marking files newer when they have exactly the same size and date and when using DOS compare, appear to be the same. Any suggestions?
Not sure to be honest. It shouldn't make a difference if the filesystems are different on the NAS and your computer but that is the only reason I can think of why that would happen.

Its been a year or so since I used that program and don't have it installed anymore. It did just work for me out of the box when comparing drives over the network though, didn't have to fiddle with any settings.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote