Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best DNS For Virgin Internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

what splitter does VM use?

Old 25-09-2018, 10:07   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Question what splitter does VM use?

After a 2nd repull which fixed my lack of TV channels i am left with power levels ranging from +10 to +15 and US of 32.5 which are measured at the Hub3.

My question is i still have an HDU-200 signal booster fitted, if i was to remove this and put the normal splitter on that VM use how much would that lower my downstream levels by and would it lower the upstream as that is already low?

I don't have this splitter so could someone also tell me which splitter it is and provide a picture and i may consider getting it myself.

Or do you think i should leave everything as it is if it is all working?

Thanks for the help.
Old 25-09-2018, 10:09   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: what splitter does VM use?

If it's working don't try to fix it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:12   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I thought they are high though, would they increase in hot weather or go lower?

Its just a shame the first engineer took the splitter away when fitting the HDU.

I had a power level slope of -10 to +15 after that repull and the 2nd engineer suspects that repull wasn't taken all the way to the cabinet.
Old 25-09-2018, 10:20   #4
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Get an engineer out - +15 is waay to high!

No point using your own time trying to fix it. If you're seeing that kind of spread, there is something very wrong. If you're seeing highs of +15 I can only imagine that they've left you on a high tap in the cabinet.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:25   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Get an engineer out - +15 is waay to high!

No point using your own time trying to fix it. If you're seeing that kind of spread, there is something very wrong. If you're seeing highs of +15 I can only imagine that they've left you on a high tap in the cabinet.

Tom

The -10 to +15 was fixed with the second repull and everything is working fine, just trying to find out if i took the HDU out at the back of the TV and replaced it with a normal VM splitter how that would affect the power levels, can an engineer give me an idea what the levels would likely change to if i was to put the splitter back?
Old 25-09-2018, 11:08   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

According to the data sheet for the HDU 200 it has unity gain forward and back. A splitter has a 6db loss in both directions so your down power would drop by that amount and your up power would increase by the same amount.

Given the values you have posted it would make the levels almost ideal.

The splitter I have has no model number on it.

HTH
Old 25-09-2018, 12:14   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
According to the data sheet for the HDU 200 it has unity gain forward and back. A splitter has a 6db loss in both directions so your down power would drop by that amount and your up power would increase by the same amount.

Given the values you have posted it would make the levels almost ideal.

The splitter I have has no model number on it.

HTH

Thanks, so are you saying my US 32.5 would rise to 38.5 as you said i would get a signal loss in both directions?

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

I have managed to find a VM splitter(VQ1002) which said 3.5dB on each port and i have replaced the HDU200 with it and now i think my power levels are alot better with a DS range of +5 to 10.4 and US is now 37.3.

Are these levels more desirable now?

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Can i lower the DS further with a Forward Path 3dB Attenuator as i have a couple here not in use?

Last edited by SnoopZ; 25-09-2018 at 12:07.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 13:08   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Yes, yes and yes.

Keep an eye on your BQM. Seeing as you have the FPA's it's worth trying to get the levels close to ideal. Remember not to overtighten the couplings, good finger tight is really all that is needed.
Old 25-09-2018, 13:11   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Will the FPA change the US as I think those levels are pretty good now?

I will fit it in the morning.
Old 25-09-2018, 13:31   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

It won't affect the US. As it's name implies it only attenuates in one direction, in this case forwards.

To complete the picture there are attenuators that work in both directions and also ones that only affect the reverse path.
Old 25-09-2018, 13:34   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Thanks for all the help.
Old 26-09-2018, 09:46   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

With the 3dB FPA on my DS levels at Hub3 go from +8.5 to +3, should i leave it at this or should i put another 3dB FPA on next to the other 1 or is it not recommended to have 2 on?
Old 26-09-2018, 11:13   #13
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I'd be a little concerned about a Chistmas tree on the back as it could strain the internal connection particularly if the cable got snagged. I'd leave it at that and monitor the connection quality.