Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you just bought?

Old 07-11-2023, 09:17   #6316
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What have you just bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
That is a really nice TV and soundbar. I don't have any idea what soundbars are like as I use an AV with 5.1 speakers. But the reviews look excellent. Looks nothing like those cheap ones you can get too.

My TV is just a cheap 4k 42" LG one (£400), does what I need and is it great for TV out from PC and hooked up to the AV etc. But I can't fault it at all. But yours at that price it must be unreal compared to something like mine.
Thanks, it was a huge step up going from a 49KS9000 that had a backlight with bleeding in the corners to this which has 700+ dimming zones instead, I had good reasons for not going the OLED route didn't need the hassle and worry about burn in and this is considered nearly as good without any hassle and with PS5 it's great too.
Old 08-11-2023, 17:24   #6317
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

A couple of yellow sticker bargains. 2 packs of Wiltshire cure sliced ham: Was £3.25, mine for 79p.

I'll wrap the slices separately in cling film to go in the freezer. I can then have a slice (s) at a time as needed for rolls or sarnies.
Old 12-11-2023, 14:35   #6318
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That is a really nice TV and soundbar. I don't have any idea what soundbars are like as I use an AV with 5.1 speakers. But the reviews look excellent. Looks nothing like those cheap ones you can get too.

My TV is just a cheap 4k 42" LG one (£400), does what I need and is it great for TV out from PC and hooked up to the AV etc. But I can't fault it at all. But yours at that price it must be unreal compared to something like mine.
Got it all setup now as the soundbar came yesterday, I'm breaking it in by watching the first 2 Captain America movies during the day to see how everything sounds and looks and I'm very impressed compared to my old TV and soundbar, no more clouding or light bleed seen and the sound with my dodgy ears is a great improvement over the old soundbar.
Old 14-11-2023, 10:22   #6319
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Got it all setup now as the soundbar came yesterday, I'm breaking it in by watching the first 2 Captain America movies during the day to see how everything sounds and looks and I'm very impressed compared to my old TV and soundbar, no more clouding or light bleed seen and the sound with my dodgy ears is a great improvement over the old soundbar.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it, it's a cracking TV that. I find TVs today need a lot of tweaking out of the box. Things like 'Real Cinema' setting is terrible, makes motion look too smooth and cheap looking. Basically you have to turn most of the TV settings to off.

I have a decent 5.1 system but will never get the most out of it because of the neighbours. But it does make a huge difference also makes speech a lot clearer etc.

I have a cheaper LG and the most used settings for me is the energy saving settings, as I watch TV late at night it turns the brightness and backlight down to whatever level you want from full, down to minimum. This most used feature doesn't even have a button on the remote control that came with the TV which is really annoying so had to buy one that does have it. Other wise you have to go in the settings every time which is a bit of a pain.
Old 14-11-2023, 11:59   #6320
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it, it's a cracking TV that. I find TVs today need a lot of tweaking out of the box. Things like 'Real Cinema' setting is terrible, makes motion look too smooth and cheap looking. Basically you have to turn most of the TV settings to off.

I have a decent 5.1 system but will never get the most out of it because of the neighbours. But it does make a huge difference also makes speech a lot clearer etc.

I have a cheaper LG and the most used settings for me is the energy saving settings, as I watch TV late at night it turns the brightness and backlight down to whatever level you want from full, down to minimum. This most used feature doesn't even have a button on the remote control that came with the TV which is really annoying so had to buy one that does have it. Other wise you have to go in the settings every time which is a bit of a pain.
The first thing to do with a high end TV is disable the energy settings otherwise it ruins the picture, this TV doesn't have a backlight only a brightness setting which I leave close to max, other setting modes can reduce the picture brightness, think it's local dimming which controls the brightness in individual areas depending on what's on the screen.

The QN95C out of the box settings I find fantastic so didn't turn anything off apart from Local dimming set to high and contrast enhancer off and tweaked a few other things it was far easier than my older KS9000.

I have to becareful not to shake the house as my ears are not perfect and don't want to annoy the neighbours but the sound is great through the soundbar and speech is very clear for me.

I've just been offered a firmware update not going to risk installing it!

Last edited by SnoopZ; 14-11-2023 at 12:05.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 12:14   #6321
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
The first thing to do with a high end TV is disable the energy settings otherwise it ruins the picture, this TV doesn't have a backlight only a brightness setting which I leave close to max, other setting modes can reduce the picture brightness, think it's local dimming which controls the brightness in individual areas depending on what's on the screen.

The QN95C out of the box settings I find fantastic so didn't turn anything off apart from Local dimming set to high and contrast enhancer off and tweaked a few other things it was far easier than my older KS9000.

I have to becareful not to shake the house as my ears are not perfect and don't want to annoy the neighbours but the sound is great through the soundbar and speech is very clear for me.

I've just been offered a firmware update not going to risk installing it!

I think you will find that is does. I believe the whole point of the Q led system is to backlight the panel with mini LEDs so the local dimming works a lot better
Old 14-11-2023, 12:18   #6322
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I think you will find that is does. I believe the whole point of the Q led system is to backlight the panel with mini LEDs so the local dimming works a lot better
Yes I meant it didn't have a separate backlight slider bar option like my old TV.

I'm so happy blacks are black with no issues unlike the old telly.
Old 14-11-2023, 18:07   #6323
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I recently bought 6 Lamy Safari Fountain pens with ink matching the barrel colour, I now have 22 fountain pens, which are work between £1,000 to £1,500, depending on the age of the Parker 51 & 45s
Old 14-11-2023, 20:43   #6324
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I recently bought 6 Lamy Safari Fountain pens with ink matching the barrel colour, I now have 22 fountain pens, which are work between £1,000 to £1,500, depending on the age of the Parker 51 & 45s
You sure are dedicated to collecting stuff, something I've never done.
Old 15-11-2023, 20:53   #6325
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

A new watch
Old 15-11-2023, 21:14   #6326
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
A new watch
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 08:22   #6327
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Trading in my old 2nd Gen Amazon Echo for an Echo Show 8 2nd Gen. £25 quid back for the Echo + £15 trade in Bonus and the Show 8 is half price so getting it for £19.99 total
Old 16-11-2023, 08:39   #6328
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Trading in my old 2nd Gen Amazon Echo for an Echo Show 8 2nd Gen. £25 quid back for the Echo + £15 trade in Bonus and the Show 8 is half price so getting it for £19.99 total
That's a really good price, I've got a couple of 2nd Gens as I now use 3rd Gen with the clock on it. Though I only use it for the clock and to turn lights on / off and to check notifications. Other than that I haven't found much use for them. Not sure a screen will add anything for me but for that price I might see if I do have a use. I just find sending things off a bit of a hassle though.
Old 16-11-2023, 08:42   #6329
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
That's a really good price, I've got a couple of 2nd Gens as I now use 3rd Gen with the clock on it. Though I only use it for the clock and to turn lights on / off and to check notifications. Other than that I haven't found much use for them. Not sure a screen will add anything for me but for that price I might see if I do have a use. I just find sending things off a bit of a hassle though.
Yeah I feel ya but there are 2 UPS drop off points on the way to fat club so can drop off today hahaha. They have given me till 31st December to send it off and sent the voucher for £25 straight away so that should alleviate any hassles
Old 16-11-2023, 08:47   #6330
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Yeah I feel ya but there are 2 UPS drop off points on the way to fat club so can drop off today hahaha. They have given me till 31st December to send it off and sent the voucher for £25 straight away so that should alleviate any hassles
Ah balls, just checked and it's seems it's just UPS and the nearest drop off is miles away from me. It's always that kind of thing that puts me off due to the hassle. Still, there's Black Friday....

(Fat club, haha).