Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Old 02-10-2015, 15:13   #316
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Stop trying to change your story. You were specifically talking about lack of features like SPI and default WiFi passwords. Neither of these applied to any VM router, ever.
No change of story here. I was, again quite plainly, giving examples of cable companies in general.

Since I was congratulating VM on their choice of Netgear some years back (although I know that was not without its "challenges") it's unlikely I would be specifically criticising their recent output. I am more concerned about the simply unknown quantity that is Liberty Global.

Honestly, its great you're convinced but you would be more convincing if you stopped trying to attack the questioner and instead explain why you believe Liberty/Compal is a marriage made in heaven.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2015, 15:52   #317
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'm not sure what the point is of referring to what other companies do when we know full well VM do not do it.

If one car company fits emissions cheating software to their cars do we also assume, in the absence of any evidence either way, that all car companies in general do it too?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 16:54   #318
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'm not sure what the point is of referring to what other companies do when we know full well VM do not do it.

If one car company fits emissions cheating software to their cars do we also assume, in the absence of any evidence either way, that all car companies in general do it too?
Human nature means that some will think that because one company or person does something then everyone is likely to do the same thing
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 16:58   #319
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
No change of story here. I was, again quite plainly, giving examples of cable companies in general.

Since I was congratulating VM on their choice of Netgear some years back (although I know that was not without its "challenges") it's unlikely I would be specifically criticising their recent output. I am more concerned about the simply unknown quantity that is Liberty Global.

Honestly, its great you're convinced but you would be more convincing if you stopped trying to attack the questioner and instead explain why you believe Liberty/Compal is a marriage made in heaven.
The Liberty Global brand owns cable companies in alot of countrys which give better service than VM do currently in the UK so i don't know why you can refer to Liberty Global as a unknown quantity. I've been with VM since the first days of Telewest broadband and i can honestly say the worst CPE ive ever been given was the SuperHub and the NetGear router that was bundled a while ago in the 20mbit Days was also absolute garbage that said the D-Link wasnt much better.. 2 Brands most people know. Stamping a brand name on something doesnt make it superior and i don't think anything could be possibly be as Bad as the SH1 Launch and that went on for quite some time.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 17:35   #320
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

The D link was a pretty decent router. Even more so considering it was launched a good 6-7 years ago!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 21:48   #321
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
The Liberty Global brand owns cable companies in alot of countrys which give better service than VM do currently in the UK so i don't know why you can refer to Liberty Global as a unknown quantity. I've been with VM since the first days of Telewest broadband and i can honestly say the worst CPE ive ever been given was the SuperHub and the NetGear router that was bundled a while ago in the 20mbit Days was also absolute garbage that said the D-Link wasnt much better.. 2 Brands most people know. Stamping a brand name on something doesnt make it superior and i don't think anything could be possibly be as Bad as the SH1 Launch and that went on for quite some time.
Very fair comment. SH1 was garbage. I think we've talked it all through now. There's not much more to add. It's not about branding, it's about having a team that really understand routers specifying and continuing to manage the product, rather than a cable company buying the cheapest generic router that vaguely meets the headline features they need. I hope we have the former.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:11   #322
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

You could simply buy your own better router like I did and most on here. Top end routers cost in excess of £100+ and your average punter wont use 90% of what the router can do. so why would VM invest into expensive routers to satisfy a small market.

The cost would be put onto everyone then.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 00:08   #323
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It would be great if they let us change the DNS in the new hardware, but it will never happen!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16   #324
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I'm more than happy with the sh2ac. I would never spend all that money on a router
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:01   #325
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I'm more than happy with the sh2ac. I would never spend all that money on a router
I am also happy with it but i would benefit from being able to change the DNS on the router for Netflix USA, however i have no intention of buying a separate to add to my clutter.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:16   #326
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I am also happy with it but i would benefit from being able to change the DNS on the router for Netflix USA, however i have no intention of buying a separate to add to my clutter.
You can just change the DNS on the device used for NetflixUSA
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:25   #327
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
You can just change the DNS on the device used for NetflixUSA
Not always, some devices are locked down like Google Chrome, Now TV boxes etc.

Luckily i can change the DNS on my Xbox One.
Old 04-10-2015, 23:24   #328
Carlos Carboni

I heard today that the SH3 for VM UK is definitely not a COMPAL... from a level 2 technician....

Despite the fact that the Connect box looks like a COMPAL....
Old 04-10-2015, 23:33   #329
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Hopefully we will find out in a few weeks.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:36   #330
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Carboni View Post
I heard today that the SH3 for VM UK is definitely not a COMPAL... from a level 2 technician....

Despite the fact that the Connect box looks like a COMPAL....
There is no such thing as a "Level 2 Technician". And service techs are normally some of the last people to know stuff. I'm not implying what you say is wrong, neither am I saying it's right. But just thought I would correct you.

---------- Post added at 07:36 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

I've actually seen a technical document for it, only had a quick glance. I will have a read later, but I won't be confirming or denying what it is!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote