Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Retentions - what phone options to dial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues

VIP Package - Couple of Questions

Old 10-05-2019, 22:55   #1
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age
VIP Package - Couple of Questions

Going someone here would be kind enough to provide some clarity which is unfortunately lacking in the official forums.

So my parents are on the VIP package and I just wanted to check what the standard pricing is for that. There bill comes to £112. They have paid for the line rental saver so just wanted to double check they weren't being overcharged.

Then they recently got the Hub 3.0. They had been stuck on 200mbps because of the older router and I had assumed that they should be be able to get 350mbps. From a phone call today they appears not to be the case. Have they been given misinformation here?

Thanks in advance!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2019, 23:06   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VIP Package - Couple of Questions

There have been many versions of the VIP bundle over the years, with slightly different TV kit and Broadband tiers and kit, so it's not a simple question to answer

If you took out one version of the VIP bundle you don't automatically move to another one if it's amended.

And since the recent launch of the VVIP bundle, that would be the only way to resolve any discrepancy in bundle pricing - by moving to the current VVIP deal.

In regards to the speed of broadband question - there are some areas where 350Mb or 500Mb are not currently available. This may be due to different factors, but as part of the recent Speed Code and advertising rules that have been brought in by OFCOM and the ASA, Virgin will now only sell tiers of service where the area can offer some guarantees on the speed you'll get. If there is work to do to ensure that, then a lower top tier will sold.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:19   #3
Bob
cf.mega poster

Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Thanks Ben, that's super helpful. Thanks for the detailed response.

From what I remember, they moved to the VIP package about a year ago and seem to recall that they tried to give my parents a Hub 3.0 to achieve the higher speed but they held off because of the less than stellar opinions of the kit back then.

From the speed tests I've seen, they never get close to 200 anyway so am wondering if there are some utilisation issues where they live
Old 11-05-2019, 09:30   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not getting the Hub 3.0 at the upgrade would also stop them getting 350Mb as it's required for that tier. Any subsequent swap of the kit outside of a bundle upgrade doesn't change the broadband as it's a separate situation.

As I said the main option you and they now have is the VVIP bundle.

Based on the current price it's a little bit of a 'no brainer' as even once the LRS offer runs out it should still a better bundle that what they've got now!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27   #5
Bob
cf.mega poster

But can they get it at the £99 price? If not it's going to be a price increase. That's probably the main sticking point. I know they get a new SIM but they don't need that at the moment.

I assume the £99 would almost be minus the cost of the line rental because of the line rental saver?
Old 11-05-2019, 14:09   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quite of a lot of customers are saying they're getting the £99 price yes. They'll need to speak to Virgin Media to confirm it.
Old 11-05-2019, 15:57   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not getting the Hub 3.0 at the upgrade would also stop them getting 350Mb as it's required for that tier. Any subsequent swap of the kit outside of a bundle upgrade doesn't change the broadband as it's a separate situation.

As I said the main option you and they now have is the VVIP bundle.

Based on the current price it's a little bit of a 'no brainer' as even once the LRS offer runs out it should still a better bundle that what they've got now!
Do they tend to knock off the cost of line rental from these types of packages as a matter of course if LRS has been purchased?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 16:59   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes because that's how it works. LRS was always an additional reduction on the normal bundle price which the quoted cost included line rental.

But as you can't now get or renew line rental saver, for most people it doesn't matter. Anyone who still has it now has less than 12 months reduction remaining.
Old 11-05-2019, 18:12   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes because that's how it works. LRS was always an additional reduction on the normal bundle price which the quoted cost included line rental.

But as you can't now get or renew line rental saver, for most people it doesn't matter. Anyone who still has it now has less than 12 months reduction remaining.
I knew that it had been withdrawn for customers wanting to take out LRS for the first time, but thought that those already on it could carry on renewing it as long as they never let it expire. Has it now ended for everybody once it expires?
Old 11-05-2019, 18:30   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-le...tal-saver.html
Old 11-05-2019, 18:42   #11
Bob
cf.mega poster

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated ��
Old 11-05-2019, 18:56   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks Ben.