Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 16-04-2013, 17:02   #61
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
Can someone explain to me which one is correct 11250MB in two hours or 6250MB in two hours?
It's 6250MB in a rolling two hour period
Old 16-04-2013, 17:03   #62
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I've sussed it, all makes sense now...

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
VM had me there for a bit.
Old 16-04-2013, 17:04   #63
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You have to download more than the one hour policy to get to the two hour threshold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
That's slightly better but still doesn't remove the sting of the whole thing, especially at weekends on the upstream.
Quote:
Apologies, have just re-read the post and my reply and may explained it wrong.
Ok, just to clarify, the policy is checked every 15 minutes, so unless you manage to download the two hour threshold in 15 minutes, you have to go through the one hour threshold first.
Old 16-04-2013, 17:20   #64
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I've sussed it, all makes sense now...

VM had me there for a bit.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I am purposely going to exceed this now to see if it affects my gaming. If it does then i may have to review my options.

*****Edit*****

Is this in place now ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:34   #65
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

Is this in place now ?
I think I read somewhere that it was being rolled out, possibly by Friday?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:41   #66
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I think I read somewhere that it was being rolled out, possibly by Friday?
then i need to test it when it roles.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:07   #67
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

As competing ISP's take major steps forward Virgin Media takes two steps back.

I think I'll leave as soon as I can, 5 months left on this contract. I'm not what I would describe as a heavy downloader (a few hundred gigabytes per month at most) but now I stand much more chance of hitting STM. It's a terrible change from an ever backwards thinking ISP.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:14   #68
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road

being put in place from friday i think, i like the large window during the weekdays for downloads (11pm-4pm next day). but the 5GB cap is ridiculous especially on weekends when its managed for most of the day.

its basically a punch to the gut for streaming video
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:29   #69
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Mark has answered some questions about the new policy over on the Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...1796996#M20315

But one thing I'd highlight is
Nice to see this has finally been acknowledged, but it had 'leaked' out via my vm a long time ago so this seems to be an awful long time for them to create a tool so you can see your usage/stm status.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:33   #70
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

This really is a joke, I mean I purchased Bioshock Infinite on steam and that was a 14GB download which is big but games are big these days so that would incur the traffic management big style...the whole bloody point in having a fast connection is so you can download your legally purchased game and get to play it now and then.

Patches for games are also getting bigger and bigger, so say your living in a household with a couple of children gaming, streaming, video chatting, throw in some games/windows updates you will basically be traffic managed all evening and this is just normal day to day usage on a product that your purchased to do these things.

Seriously once FTTC is rolled out where I live its not even a question and having to think about I will change my broadband and most likely will go with SKY and get everything from them just cause its easier and often cheaper to get everything through one provider and I can see a lot of people doing this so Virgin will end up losing people for TV/phone service just because they putting in archaic rules on their broadband, not imho a sound business plan.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 20:41   #71
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
As competing ISP's take major steps forward Virgin Media takes two steps back.

I think I'll leave as soon as I can, 5 months left on this contract. I'm not what I would describe as a heavy downloader (a few hundred gigabytes per month at most) but now I stand much more chance of hitting STM. It's a terrible change from an ever backwards thinking ISP.
This is he problem, times have changed and it seems virginmedia can't change with them. Once a few hundred gig a month was the exception now with Netflix, nowtv etc etc although not the norm I imagine a lot more users get close to a few hundred gig a month.

Although personally I doubt I even get over 100Gb a month.
Old 16-04-2013, 21:18   #72
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Nice to see this has finally been acknowledged, but it had 'leaked' out via my vm a long time ago so this seems to be an awful long time for them to create a tool so you can see your usage/stm status.
It is dependent on the new traffic system being in place.
Old 16-04-2013, 21:29   #73
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It is dependent on the new traffic system being in place.
Ahar, fair do's.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 22:04   #74
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

So, when are VM going to get Netflix and Lovefilm apps on TiVo?

2 episodes of Castle streamed back-to-back from Lovefilm and I'm capped on 60Mb. If that app was on TiVo, surely it would use TiVo's 10Mb, un-capped (for the moment ) connection and I could stream as much TV as I want.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 22:14   #75
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
So, when are VM going to get Netflix and Lovefilm apps on TiVo?
Why would they want to do that when they would argue their TV platform already has all the current, on demand and other stuff needed, rather than your use of a rival on demand streaming service.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote