Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 16-04-2013, 13:23   #31
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
So basically if you pay for their premium package and you work all day. Then you will always be 'capped' or 'throttled'. Crazy.
It's not really that crazy, if you don't trigger the cap, you won't be slowed down. Most people work during the day Monday to Friday, that is why they target out of working hours, as this is when the network is most busy.

The issue is whether you can live with the throttling.
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2013, 13:28   #32
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
Same here I am sick of my upload being capped while streaming to twitch... I just signed up for BT Infinity 2
I would but for some reason, BT Infinity is taking an ridiculous amount of time to get to most of the exchanges in Edinburgh.

To stay on topic, the addition of being able to see how close you are to the threshold online is a good addition, but it's taken them a while just to get that..
Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:33   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

BT Infinity is already available in most of the exchanges in Edinburgh. We got it first in fact, as we had the trial exchanges before anywhere else.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:43   #34
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
BT Infinity is already available in most of the exchanges in Edinburgh. We got it first in fact, as we had the trial exchanges before anywhere else.
Over on the east, Portobello exchange etc, they keep pushing back the date we're supposed to be getting it. June is the latest update but it wouldn't surprise me if it got pushed back again
Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:48   #35
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekel View Post
Over on the east, Portobello exchange etc, they keep pushing back the date we're supposed to be getting it. June is the latest update but it wouldn't surprise me if it got pushed back again
Same in here Kirkcaldy and as far as i know the quarterly dates ie 31st March, 30th June etc like we've had are their most basic estimates and not likely to be met. Been on that rolling quarterly date since last year.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 14:07   #36
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Mark has answered some questions about the new policy over on the Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...1796996#M20315

But one thing I'd highlight is
I look forward to seeing that feature in My Virgin Media in 18 months time then.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:03   #37
Gstevie
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media: TV-XL, 100Mb (Superhub 2), TiVo
Gstevie is on a distinguished roadGstevie is on a distinguished road

This new system is completely and utterly insane! Who in their right mind came up with a solution to their problems with this? This has to be the brain child of someone drunk at work. Lets hope they pull out a "new" system to replace this as soon as this seemed to have been cooked up!
Gstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:09   #38
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

So do these changes allow people to cancel their services as VM have changed their T&C's?
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:25   #39
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

What about users on the legacy 5Mbps connections?

Download Upload
Download Speeds - 5Mbps Upload Speeds - 256kbps
When does it apply 5PM - 10PM When does it apply 3PM - 8PM
Fair use amount 250MB Fair use amount 100MB
Level of speed reduction 75% Level of speed reduction 75%
Duration of speed reduction 5 Hours Duration of speed reduction 5 Hours
Old 16-04-2013, 15:28   #40
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

On the one hand this policy seems better for those who casually use their service and only occasionally hit a threshold before backing off. For those who really use their connections, then they are going to get caught more frequently. And if you have the higher speed services the policy changes are harder hitting in proportion to your service speed, and what you might have previously done with it, than lower tiers.

60Mbps downstream was 5GB per evening, now 3.6Gb max per evening hour.
120Mbps downstream was 11GB per evening, now 5GB max per evening hour.

So previously the top tier allowed me to download a 6GB patch for Battlefield 3 (yes the last one was that big), once I got in for the evening and then continue to play the game without being STMd. Now I'll get caught. Not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
So do these changes allow people to cancel their services as VM have changed their T&C's?
It has to be a "significant change". If you can show that the new policy makes the service unfit for purpose, for you, when it was fit previously, then I would consider that gives you a right to cancel. But then I'm not a lawyer, and ultimately only the courts can determine that one.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:37   #41
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
What about users on the legacy 5Mbps connections?

Download Upload
Download Speeds - 5Mbps Upload Speeds - 256kbps
When does it apply 5PM - 10PM When does it apply 3PM - 8PM
Fair use amount 250MB Fair use amount 100MB
Level of speed reduction 75% Level of speed reduction 75%
Duration of speed reduction 5 Hours Duration of speed reduction 5 Hours
What about it, it's not changed apart from dropping the 10am - 3pm management
Old 16-04-2013, 15:40   #42
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What about it, it's not changed apart from dropping the 10am - 3pm management

250Mb download before the speeds are reduced 75%? A little harsh don't ya think.
Old 16-04-2013, 15:41   #43
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
250Mb download before the speeds are reduced 75%? A little harsh don't ya think.
Been that way for at least a year - it's a Customer Retention tier as is only there for those focused on price. Not sure if they even do it any more
Old 16-04-2013, 15:59   #44
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Do u keep Virgin Media cable 30Mb (broadband standalone without a phone) as a backup and use BT FTTC with BT line rental for all day use ?
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:18   #45
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Reading and re-reading this stuff I'm getting myself in a muddle. Not surprising as it's not quite as clearly worded as perhaps it could be.

Take the XXL120 download:
1 Hour threshold 5000MB
1 Hour reduction 30%
2 Hour threshold 6250MB
2 Hour reduction 40%

So in hour one I download 5.1GB I'll be throttled by 30 for the next hour. Understood.
Hour 2, I continue downloading another 1.25GB, so the following 2 hours I'll get at 40% speed penalty. Understood.
That seems to match VM's website examples.

What isn't clear, if you just look at the tables:
If in hour one I download 4.5GB, I'm not throttled in the next hour. Fine.
In the second hour I download a further 2GB. I've now exceeded the two hour 6250MB threshold, so am I going to be throttled by 40% for the next two hours? Or can the two hour threshold only be applied if you broke the first hour?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote