Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 16-04-2013, 10:13   #16
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Erm nope
Nice helpful post there

Its a hard system to understand, I completely sympathise with him not getting it
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2013, 10:14   #17
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It will, IMO, only help for increasing the amount of oversubscription they can push on higher tariffs before lower ones see significant speed losses.
If only we could accuse you of being cynical, but in this case I doubt we can. Squeezing more customers on to the decrement of existing customers seems to be a consistent pattern.

Those that work normal work hours, which is a large percentage of the population, are the ones who are being hit with the traffic management in the evening once home. These customers may have to choose not to download something as that along with their streaming will breach limits.

Lots of other examples but the point is VM customers have to learn/re-learn traffic management tables (if they know about it in the first place) and then make extra effort planning what they do with their connection. What percentage of customers and toxic customers would leave because of this is something VM obviously figures in to such decisions.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:24   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Nice helpful post there

Its a hard system to understand, I completely sympathise with him not getting it
That's why VM have given examples of how it works here http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-ma...or-higher.html
Old 16-04-2013, 10:26   #19
olisun
cf.member

olisun is on a distinguished roadolisun is on a distinguished road

This is my last month with VM so I might try and hammer the connection as much as I can... ;-)
olisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:29   #20
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

if they slow you down at peak times why cant they give you a speed boost when the networks quiet?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:34   #21
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's why VM have given examples of how it works here http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-ma...or-higher.html
I have a lot of respect for you Ben, as I've generally found your posts to be quite helpful. But call me thick here, I don't think the examples given are very clear. It doesn't give any indication as to how much people are actually downloading, just if they stop or not when they hit STM.

The thresholds aren't very clear, is the 2-hour threshold ON TOP OF the 1 hour threshold or cumulative?

If the 1-hour threshold is 5000GB and the 2-hour threshold is 6250, then what happens if I download 10GB in the first hour? Does my STM last 1 hour or two?

I'm really not very clear on this and just looking for an answer, I don't think the examples provided on the site clear that up.

Thanks.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:55   #22
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

As if i didn't already have enough reason to jump ship as soon as BT/Sky let me order fibre, those upstream limits are atrocious and look at the times 4-11pm, pretty much my whole time at home after work before bed. "Give us your money and we'll give you 120/12 broadband, one catch though.. you can only use your upstream for 20 minute bursts or we'll cut the legs from under you".
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:39   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Easier said than done and sadly it's not just torrents that use a lot of traffic these days. The rise of services like netflix has meant that plenty of users now download a lot and it seems Virgin is struggling to keep up.
Quite the opposite, despite halving STM and increasing speeds and increasing allowances, average speeds have gone up and peak-time congestion has gone down.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:56   #24
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Quite the opposite, despite halving STM and increasing speeds and increasing allowances, average speeds have gone up and peak-time congestion has gone down.
Virgin were running so hot that congestion couldn't really get any higher than what is was. So saying congestion has gone down may be true, but its still far from perfect. Unlike other isp's who add a load more bandwidth to handle customers, a VM just limit their customers more yet still often have some congestion at peak times.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:08   #25
kev445
cf.member

kev445 is on a distinguished roadkev445 is on a distinguished road

I must admit, I’m just relieved that they aren’t limiting both the upload and download when you trigger one or the other!

My understanding is that cable broadband is a technology of the past, with Docsis 3 bonding being a partial solution to the problem. I think the issue revolves around the amount of work required to reduce contention in an area, I’m no expert, but it sounds like an incredible labour intensive process, which I would imagine is not cheap!

I’m only with Virgin Broadband as we don’t have FTTC or FTTP. If we had FTTP I would be off like a shot, if we had FTTC I would definitely review my options.
kev445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:16   #26
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Time to recalled Virgin Media to reduced the monthly price or ASA and Ofcom will give virgin Media a slap in the face!

Upload is very HARSH! And Very poor upload except FTTC stay at 19 Meg all day. Not good enough Virgin Media. Shame on you VM!

I can see more VM customers are ready to quit VM to join BT FTTC/FTTPoD.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:19   #27
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekel View Post
Ugh, those upload limits are horrible in comparison to what it was before. Pretty much stops me streaming to Twitch.

This actually forces me to look towards another ISP now..
Same here I am sick of my upload being capped while streaming to twitch... I just signed up for BT Infinity 2
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:34   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Mark has answered some questions about the new policy over on the Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...1796996#M20315

But one thing I'd highlight is
Quote:
Some other background information for you, we're also working on a tool in My Virgin Media to allow you to see your current usage and if you've triggered traffic management, we hope to release this in the next few months.
Old 16-04-2013, 13:12   #29
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

The new traffic management is pretty crappy but I have to say..........

Considering TVXL is £37 on its own with 1 TiVo, and for the next 12 months I'm only paying £38 for 60Mb TVXL Phoneline (soon to be connected) a VHD and a TiVo......I I'm still a extremely content VM customer.

Virginmedia should just sell everyone the same deal I got for 12 months, I just can't stop smiling when I think about it lol. I don't wish to knock Virginmedia but for service their broadband is a bit lacking. Go in wth a low price an hope people use the phoneline....
Old 16-04-2013, 13:19   #30
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

So basically if you pay for their premium package and you work all day. Then you will always be 'capped' or 'throttled'. Crazy.