Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 20-04-2013, 21:39   #151
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Because according to the plain English guide on traffic punishment (which i cannot get my head around at all) if you pass the second threshold you are then on it till 11.00pm even if you stop the downloading or have i misread it.
I think you have misread it, as the second limit is listed as the two-hour limit? Which means at most, you should be STM'd for 2 hours....unless you CONTINUE to download in which case you'll stay in STM.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2013, 21:45   #152
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As in, if you download a certain amount you will be managed for one hour at 30%, download more and you'll be managed at 40% for two hours

Keep downloading enough to stay over one of the thresholds and you'll continue at that management in either one hour/30% or two hour/40% chunks
Yeah that's what everyone will understand. But still too many buts and what ifs to understand.

So basically, if I download 4.5gb in hour 1 (10 mins), I'll be hit with a 30% reduction. If I continue to download another 1.5gb (5 mins) in that hour I will be then reduced to 40%. So if I continue to download for the remainding 45 minutes at the 60% speed and if I download another 4.5gb and 1.5gb within that 45 minutes would I be triggering another 2 hour throttle on top of the 1st 2 hour throttle.

It is a load of bolox basically. As there's nothing in their statement that can be understood.
Old 20-04-2013, 23:16   #153
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think you have misread it, as the second limit is listed as the two-hour limit? Which means at most, you should be STM'd for 2 hours....unless you CONTINUE to download in which case you'll stay in STM.
Well i am out of punishment now so chocks away

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:02   #154
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Sirius, whilst you were on the naughty step did you find your max speed was 47Mbps?

Ben, any idea why a few of us are seeing this 50% reduction in our speed?
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 09:19   #155
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
Sirius, whilst you were on the naughty step did you find your max speed was 47Mbps?

I have the 120meg service and my speed dropped to about 70 to 80 meg, it was fluctuating so badly between 70 and 80 that i could not fix what speed it was at.

I have a lot of video on Iplayer to catch up on today and most of it is HD, i will see if i get put on the punishment step again.

Old 21-04-2013, 11:27   #156
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Probably will Sirius, we spent all of last night throttled and not a single file was download, torrents were off etc. Kids had lovefilm streaming for a couple of hours and we had Netflix going for most of the night. If the house had been full all day we'd probably have been throttled then instead of just the whole evening.

Still fast enough but it's the principal of paying for a service we're not getting and why i would be fine getting only 60mb odd down from BT instead of 120mb from VM if it were in this area yet. Uploading is also a joke, can forget it at the weekends full stop now.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:29   #157
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

From the number of posts in this thread I would suggest Virgins statement:

Quote:
On any given day, more than 95% of our customers, those who use broadband for emailing, browsing, gaming, listening to music and watching films and TV online won’t be affected at all by traffic management. Traffic management is only applied to a small minority of customers downloading and uploading the largest files during those peak times.
...isnt very truthful
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 13:08   #158
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Probably will Sirius, we spent all of last night throttled and not a single file was download, torrents were off etc. Kids had lovefilm streaming for a couple of hours and we had Netflix going for most of the night. If the house had been full all day we'd probably have been throttled then instead of just the whole evening.

Still fast enough but it's the principal of paying for a service we're not getting and why i would be fine getting only 60mb odd down from BT instead of 120mb from VM if it were in this area yet. Uploading is also a joke, can forget it at the weekends full stop now.
Quote:

Here's your answer, BTW 120meg user

Old 21-04-2013, 13:42   #159
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

So, can we assume VM are actively investing in the network to ultimately remove all STM? Because when it works, it equals the best any other provider can offer. But when you're under some stupid STM "Policy" after crossing the "Threshold" which seems to be VM's new buzz word to avoid having to use "Limit" (they think we're dumb) its frustrating.

An Virginmedia everyone knows "threshold" is just there so you don't have to use the word limit. I wonder what genius came up with that.

By the way, I have decided the TiVo box is much better than the Sky+HD box by quite a way.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:17   #160
Firmsky
cf.addict

Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Here's your answer, BTW 120meg user

I dont make 40% reduction from 120Mbps the 66Mbps speed your getting!

Due to the upload restrictions I am currently looking at the price I can get BT Infinity installed for. On their website it shows I can get 66Mbps DL and 20Mbps upload. Mrs Firmsky doesnt want to lose TiVo so its trying to work out the most cost effective way of doing things.

Just had a look and ultimately I would end up needing a land line so it would cost around £35 per month on top of VM TiVo costs.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:59   #161
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I dont make 40% reduction from 120Mbps the 66Mbps speed your getting!

Due to the upload restrictions I am currently looking at the price I can get BT Infinity installed for. On their website it shows I can get 66Mbps DL and 20Mbps upload. Mrs Firmsky doesnt want to lose TiVo so its trying to work out the most cost effective way of doing things.

Just had a look and ultimately I would end up needing a land line so it would cost around £35 per month on top of VM TiVo costs.
My ping has improved but nothing else.

Old 21-04-2013, 16:05   #162
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Unlimited downloads – no caps no hidden charges

The web is bursting with exciting things to see and do, so don't hold back when you're browsing. You can stream and download as many music tracks, films, photos and files as you want without having to worry about caps or hidden charges
Old 21-04-2013, 16:28   #163
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

lol
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 16:37   #164
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Virgin state:

"Traffic management measures are in place to ensure a consistent user experience and impact only the heaviest users (typically less than 5% a day)."

Are Virgin suggesting only 5% of their customer base are traffic managed typically? How many broadband customers do Virgin currently have?

When I had Virgin broadband I was always traffic managed. I would not say my household has a high data consumption. Pretty much everyone I know, with Virgin broadband, complains about traffic management when we discuss our TV and broadband packages.

Are Virgin lying about about only the heaviest users being targeted? This is the type of thing that should be raised with Ofcom. I'm concinved if forced to provide information on how many users are managed in a day, it'll be much higher than 5%.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 16:51   #165
Firmsky
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Virgin state:

"Traffic management measures are in place to ensure a consistent user experience and impact only the heaviest users (typically less than 5% a day)."

Are Virgin suggesting only 5% of their customer base are traffic managed typically? How many broadband customers do Virgin currently have?

When I had Virgin broadband I was always traffic managed. I would not say my household has a high data consumption. Pretty much everyone I know, with Virgin broadband, complains about traffic management when we discuss our TV and broadband packages.

Are Virgin lying about about only the heaviest users being targeted? This is the type of thing that should be raised with Ofcom. I'm concinved if forced to provide information on how many users are managed in a day, it'll be much higher than 5%.
With the likes of Netflix, iPlayer and Xbox live to name a few I should imagine it will change to 95% of our customers are managed per day but they still get great speeds even when managed! Apart from Upload where they will be crippled!