Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

Old 09-02-2012, 13:21   #61
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Maybe you should follow the 15-month saga that is the upstream uplifts. Other companies lie, very few have shown the level of utter incompetence that VM has when it comes to fixing their network in these parts.

Also I'd disagree on BT not catching up. BT already offer 110mbps service, which is more than VM does anywhere. BT will be offering 330mbps this year, which is again, already ahead of VM, and 1gbit next year, which will be even further again. Granted, these are only in limited areas.

BT currently offer 40mbit down and 10mbit up to all FTTC areas, this is faster than all of the nationally available VM packages in every way, except headline download speed. BT will be uplifting this to 80mbit down and 20mbit up across their network within months, VM don't even have more than 1.5mbps upload across their network yet.

The few areas VM have neglected to upgrade will see 50% faster download and more than ten times faster upload on BT. Nationwide, once all areas are upgraded we're still looking at BT Infinity only being 30% slower on the download and faster in all other respects than VM's best service.

Again, BT 40mb is already faster than VM 50mb for everything other than downloading large files (and if you're doing it via newsgroups BT will probably still be faster).
Virgin does need to upgrade and expand the VM Fiber Optic Network or use BT's to reach "blackspots" and to improve service
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 13:21   #62
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Half of the the UK gets VM broadband via ADSL, the 30mbps+ broadband is only avalible on the VM Fiber Netowork, which covers the other half!

Wrong. There is no 'half and half'. 40, 110, and soon 80-330mbps broadband is all available off the VM fibre network.

VM is available to about 51% of households. BT FTTC is currently available to 30%, but there is a lot of overlap. BT intend to expand this to at least 66% and potentially up to 90%. BT FTTP is already faster than VM.

Quote:
What a shame, they should now improve services for VM customers outside the VM Cable network, maybe 80 mbp broadband and the full TV serice?
That's what BT are doing.

Quote:
They do offer the Best Broadband, Best STB and Best VOD, but they need to work on getting more TV channels (with related VOD content) and launching the iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile!
They do not offer the best broadband unless the only thing you do with your broadband is download large binaries over FTP.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:24   #63
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
[/COLOR]
Wrong. There is no 'half and half'. 40, 110, and soon 80-330mbps broadband is all available off the VM fibre network.

VM is available to about 51% of households. BT FTTC is currently available to 30%, but there is a lot of overlap. BT intend to expand this to at least 66% and potentially up to 90%. BT FTTP is already faster than VM.

That's what BT are doing.

They do not offer the best broadband unless the only thing you do with your broadband is download large binaries over FTP.
That still leaves the other 49% which need to be reached, especially since BT would reach 66-90% of the UK

BT is reaching customers outside the cable network, but so should VM

Virgin does need to improve its broadband, starting with a 200mbp service
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 10:17   #64
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And why do they need to do that?
Old 13-02-2012, 10:20   #65
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
That still leaves the other 49% which need to be reached, especially since BT would reach 66-90% of the UK

BT is reaching customers outside the cable network, but so should VM

l am no expert but Alan you really need to know about the subject you are posting about before coming out with such wild claims.
Old 13-02-2012, 10:21   #66
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Maybe you should follow the 15-month saga that is the upstream uplifts. Other companies lie, very few have shown the level of utter incompetence that VM has when it comes to fixing their network in these parts.

Also I'd disagree on BT not catching up. BT already offer 110mbps service, which is more than VM does anywhere. BT will be offering 330mbps this year, which is again, already ahead of VM, and 1gbit next year, which will be even further again. Granted, these are only in limited areas.

BT currently offer 40mbit down and 10mbit up to all FTTC areas, this is faster than all of the nationally available VM packages in every way, except headline download speed. BT will be uplifting this to 80mbit down and 20mbit up across their network within months, VM don't even have more than 1.5mbps upload across their network yet.

The few areas VM have neglected to upgrade will see 50% faster download and more than ten times faster upload on BT. Nationwide, once all areas are upgraded we're still looking at BT Infinity only being 30% slower on the download and faster in all other respects than VM's best service.

Again, BT 40mb is already faster than VM 50mb for everything other than downloading large files (and if you're doing it via newsgroups BT will probably still be faster).
a better comparison in these discussions would be to include the max number of households who can actually receive the product.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:23   #67
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Take the total number of UK households and multiply by the percentage given.
Old 13-02-2012, 22:54   #68
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
a better comparison in these discussions would be to include the max number of households who can actually receive the product.
I agree. Because if most of VM's customers are only on 10mb (although appartently due to be bumped up to 30mb in most cases), then there is no reason to assume that any higher percentage will be interested in BT Infinity.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 14:06   #69
p6410880
Inactive

p6410880 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i be moving to bt infiinity when it comes to birmingham sick to death of poor indian customer service centres, I don't want a speed upgrade I want british call centres with properly trained staff. just downgraded my package at virgin because of price increase was going to cancel but they gave me a deal. lot of peoplei am talking to are cancelling or downgrading. so it mush be costing virgin money.
p6410880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 14:16   #70
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6410880 View Post
well i be moving to bt infiinity when it comes to birmingham sick to death of poor indian customer service centres, I don't want a speed upgrade I want british call centres with properly trained staff. just downgraded my package at virgin because of price increase was going to cancel but they gave me a deal. lot of peoplei am talking to are cancelling or downgrading. so it mush be costing virgin money.
BT use offshore call centres too you know.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 22:01   #71
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6410880 View Post
Call VM during the day, then unless they are really busy you will get through to a UK call centre.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:50   #72
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
BT use offshore call centres too you know.
Sure do as when I left BT and moved house nearly 4 years ago they dealt with it fine. Then months later I got a bill after I had had my final bill as they never processed my disconnection and that was a foreign call centre I dealt with when trying to cancel.
When dealing with the latest bill I was put through to a very apologetic UK person who said they hadn't dealt with it properly.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 12:11   #73
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Sure do as when I left BT and moved house nearly 4 years ago they dealt with it fine. Then months later I got a bill after I had had my final bill as they never processed my disconnection and that was a foreign call centre I dealt with when trying to cancel.
When dealing with the latest bill I was put through to a very apologetic UK person who said they hadn't dealt with it properly.
Sounds like telephone support is just as bad with both VM and BT if you end up speaking to an overseas call centre.
Old 21-02-2012, 00:07   #74
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

A lot of major ISPs use offshore call centres these days, I believe O2 are one of the few that don't.

That said, I've heard some pretty bad things even about VM's UK-only business support