Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:46   #31
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media's quarterly and full year results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
He's saying only 200,000 take 50mb not how many it's available to.
Yes, but if you read his first paragraph, he seems to be trying to imply that customers are on slow speeds because higher speeds aren't available.

This is the sort of mind games that companies use when putting out propoganda against their competition.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57   #32
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes you have read it correctly.
Well maybe now they're profitable we might see some of the improvements some people on here are so desperate for.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00   #33
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Well maybe now they're profitable we might see some of the improvements some people on here are so desperate for.
l suspect all the buses will arrive at the station all at once.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41   #34
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Manchester wouldn't have been so big a distance to move.[COLOR="Silver"]

No, Manchester isn't that far, much as I like Manchester it's not somewhere I'd chose to live. The only problem here is that the technical roles have gone to Swansea and the Customer Care side and Mobile is going to Manchester.

The workforce at the Albert Dock is technical and 2nd line/Outage surveillance/Business support, so not really the skill sets for Manchester
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57   #35
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
No, Manchester isn't that far, much as I like Manchester it's not somewhere I'd chose to live. The only problem here is that the technical roles have gone to Swansea and the Customer Care side and Mobile is going to Manchester.

The workforce at the Albert Dock is technical and 2nd line/Outage surveillance/Business support, so not really the skill sets for Manchester
I see your point. If VM would improve their business service, then they would probably need to expand that also.

Good luck job hunting.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:59   #36
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I see your point. If VM would improve their business service, then they would probably need to expand that also.

Good luck job hunting.
Cheers mate
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 13:35   #37
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Looks like their live broadcast is being traffic managed..... Picture and audio constantly breaking up, they're trying to fix it now.

What a mess.
Old 08-02-2012, 14:07   #38
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Given the 50mb upstream uplift is many months behind schedule, the idea of them finishing that *and* getting 100mb done "months ahead of schedule" just goes to show they have no grasp of the English language. Particularly given how loosely they use the terms "unlimited" "everyone" "double" "all" "best" "gaming" and now "ahead".

As a breakdown, this puts VM's current cable broadband base at a total of 4,850,600 customers, of which:
3,600,000 (74%) are still on 2 or 10mbps
Only 500,000 (10%) are on 20mbps
Only 200,000 (4%) are on on 30mbps
Only 200,000 (4%) are on 50mbps and 100mbps combined

And if you believe TBB's figures, 8% don't exist
I knew it would not take long

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 14:15   #39
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I knew it would not take long
It doesn't really matter if people try to twist or discredit the figures. If they're taken as fact then Virginmedia have increased profits and increased Average Revenue Per User

For Sky/Virgin/BT those are two of the most important figures to give shareholders along with subscriber increase/decrease.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:57   #40
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Given the 50mb upstream uplift is many months behind schedule, the idea of them finishing that *and* getting 100mb done "months ahead of schedule" just goes to show they have no grasp of the English language. Particularly given how loosely they use the terms "unlimited" "everyone" "double" "all" "best" "gaming" and now "ahead".

As a breakdown, this puts VM's current cable broadband base at a total of 4,850,600 customers, of which:
3,600,000 (74%) are still on 2 or 10mbps
Only 500,000 (10%) are on 20mbps
Only 200,000 (4%) are on on 30mbps
Only 200,000 (4%) are on 50mbps and 100mbps combined

And if you believe TBB's figures, 8% don't exist
Strange - VM's results state
Quote:
Nearly 1.2m customers currently subscribe to tiers of 20Mb or above, which represents over 28% of our cable broadband base. Nearly 700,000 subscribe to 30Mb or above, including nearly 200,000 customers on our 50Mb or 100Mb tiers
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:30   #41
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
I thought we were going to hear some good news about TV channels etc as well today or did i mis-read, dream that??
The only thing I saw whilst having a quick read was on page 29 of the Strategy Update Presentation, which says standard 2012 bundle will include M+ with five additional channels. On XL myself so dont know if M+ has changed recently or if this is a hint of things to come.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:16   #42
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Originally Posted by Mobes
I thought we were going to hear some good news about TV channels etc as well today or did i mis-read, dream that??

I think that was Den being his optimistic self.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:26   #43
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
You really do hate VM don't you??

I don't know where you get your figures from, but on the news this moring it said that 50mb is currently availble for half of UK households.
Nope.

You really can't read can you?

I don't know where you get your ideas from but last I knew the words "are on" did not mean anything remotely like "have nothing higher available to them than".

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange - VM's results state
That's exactly the same numbers as I'm quoting. Except, if 1.2m were 28%, then the total would be 4.28 million, whereas TBB state:

Quote:
Broadband is very much a growth area for Virgin Media, adding some 30,000 net customers to its cable broadband service in the last quarter, up 91,800 over the last twelve months, taking the total to 4,850,600
Looking at the results themselves, that's actually the total for *all* cable customers, not broadband. TBB also quote the "nearly" numbers as "actual" - i.e.

Quote:
28% (1,200,000) of customers subscribe to a 20 Mbps or faster product, 700,000 connect with 30 Mbps or faster, and there are some 200,000 customers on the 50 Mbps and 100 Mbps products.
28% is actually 1,148,812 or, to 2SF, 1,100,000.

(Though if you look further into the VM's "over 28%" quote, the actual number of customers on >=20mbps would be between 1.14m and 1.18m. Assuming they'd have rounded up 28.5 to 29, then 28.49% is 1,168,916.)

If you take VM's own total broadband figure of 4,102.9 instead of TBB's misquoted 4.85m, then you get:
At least 2,902,900 (71%) customers on 2 or 10mbps (or lower), the rest of the figures are still the same, apart from percentages
Only 500,000 (12%) are on 20mbps (the same)
Only 500,000 (12%) are on on 30mbps (would be the same if I hadn't miscalculated in my earlier post)
Less than 200,000 (5%) are on 50mbps and 100mbps combined (the same)

That also explains the missing 8% - thanks!

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:35   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Originally Posted by Mobes

I think that was Den being his optimistic self.
As Yoda once said think positively my Padawan.
Old 08-02-2012, 18:59   #45
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
He's saying only 200,000 take 50mb not how many it's available to.
Hah, a muppet can read better than some people!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote