Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

Old 25-05-2007, 15:33   #31
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggman View Post
According to digitalspy virgin are to follow sky and possibly scrap v plus subscription.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...-v-charge.html
Actually - it says they are reviewing the costing - doesn't say about scrapping.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2007, 18:10   #32
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

It would be great if they did drop the price because then I would be able to persuade my dad to get one!
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:31   #33
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Fools View Post
Sounds right, i.e. your are better off after 10 months.
Hmmmm......dunno if I will be taking this offer then (especially if VM fail to get more HD content in the next 10 months).
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 19:19   #34
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I haven't got it for the HD, I got it for the PVR functionality.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 19:34   #35
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
I haven't got it for the HD, I got it for the PVR functionality.
But why should you pay £100 upfront and only get your money back after 10 months? (Assuming you're still with VM after then)
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 20:02   #36
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

whoever thinks up these things needs some real life lessons, sure its easy to see why they do it,to get a lump sum that they can then invest in one thing or another ,usually boardroom payouts, and the next quarter results need a big boost after all to pay for the 50% increase in the shareprice payout they announced to quiet the investers.

but..., who in their right minds would pay out £100 upfront for a PVR they will never own...., wereas they can go and buy (sure its not direct copy of the transport stream so less quality but good enough)a cheaper stand alone PVR in their local ARGOS (around £80 or less last i looked) and connect it up through scart and be happyer as they now own it outright.

now,let the current STB makers produce and sell their own direct to the users, and you get the option to record the cable transport stream direct then fine, charge £100 and we still own the kit, great.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 20:04   #37
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Howell View Post
But why should you pay £100 upfront and only get your money back after 10 months? (Assuming you're still with VM after then)
I wouldn't - I'm not an "early adopter"; I only got it because I got a good deal; I already have a HD recorder at home.

I have to admit, though, I do like the functionality on the V+

btw, the £100 figure came from a poster, with no linky, so we don't know the provenance (still wouldn't pay £100 up front, though).
Old 25-05-2007, 20:09   #38
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzie_uk View Post
In almost all possible scenarios of customers having a V+ Box V Sky+ box, a saving is made of up to £20/month rental (TV size M V 2mixes), and a £9 up front saving is always made.

Compared with Skys HD box, a saving is always made everymonth up to £20 again, and you save £209 up front in all cases.
Wrong I'm afraid.

Sky are scrapping the sky+ service charge from July for all customers that take a TV package from them. There's no £100 sign over fee for existing customers and no £150 (its only £99 for the sky+ box) install fee for new customers*.

There is NO saving (having VM over Sky) from what I can see apart from Sky are retaining the HD charge but seeing as they have some content and VM don't I find justifiable.

Sky win again if it's true!
  • New subscribers - £99 for Sky or £150 for VM?
  • Existing subscriber - no one off fee for Sky or £100 for VM?

I wonder which people will chose?

*All assuming the post about the new VM fees is correct.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 08:10   #39
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Actually - it says they are reviewing the costing - doesn't say about scrapping.
Thank you i was just thinking the same..there is a difference between reviewing and scrapping..its like chine wispers on here some times..
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 09:26   #40
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Wrong I'm afraid.

Sky are scrapping the sky+ service charge from July for all customers that take a TV package from them. There's no £100 sign over fee for existing customers and no £150 (its only £99 for the sky+ box) install fee for new customers*.

There is NO saving (having VM over Sky) from what I can see apart from Sky are retaining the HD charge but seeing as they have some content and VM don't I find justifiable.

To be fair, the original (unsubstantiated) post stated
"the option of migrating to the new plan, and paying £100 service fee, then they will pay the above line rental"
Old 26-05-2007, 09:41   #41
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
but..., who in their right minds would pay out £100 upfront for a PVR they will never own...., wereas they can go and buy (sure its not direct copy of the transport stream so less quality but good enough)a cheaper stand alone PVR in their local ARGOS (around £80 or less last i looked) and connect it up through scart and be happyer as they now own it outright.
I would pay it. TBH, from the original £75 install fee, there is now an extra £75 to make £150. So within 7.5 months it is essentially free. I choose to pay the £150 when I can afford it, and not worry about the cost again. I don't want to own the box, as if I left VM it would be useless anyway. And is it me, I thought that normal PVRs weren't compatable with cable? Genuine question?
andrewbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 09:57   #42
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Quote:
What's VMs install charge? £75 last I heard. The Sky+ box is only £49 if you get an offer.
Nope, £25.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Wrong I'm afraid.

I chose to beat Sky's price and get mine installed for £25. Monthly fee to be dropped and i will have had 2 x V+ Boxes way under Sky's price. Thanks VM trounced Sky again as usual.
Downloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 11:09   #43
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downloads View Post
Nope, £25.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

I chose to beat Sky's price and get mine installed for £25. Monthly fee to be dropped and i will have had 2 x V+ Boxes way under Sky's price. Thanks VM trounced Sky again as usual.
Can you give me a break down of that offer please? Is it an offer and not a standard price?

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
To be fair, the original (unsubstantiated) post stated
"the option of migrating to the new plan, and paying £100 service fee, then they will pay the above line rental"
Or you continue to pay the monthly fee. I was giving examples of customers migrating/buying to get away from the monthly fee.

If you add the fee up for the two over a year for existing customers it's even worse. Free for Sky (there just isn't a charge to be had), £120 for VM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 11:27   #44
grimwau
Inactive

Services: VIP100 - Panasonic TH-42PX600
grimwau is on a distinguished roadgrimwau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by city-boy View Post
Does this mean they will be adding a VIP package price drop also that previously included this charge?
A valid question that I would also like to hear an answer to, as and when someone with any real data is able to clarify.
grimwau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 11:45   #45
ShaneC
cf.addict

ShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about them

Daft question, would now be a good time to order a second V+ box or is it too late to beat the fee?
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote