Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

Old 24-05-2007, 20:59   #16
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

I wonder how may put off by the £10 charge would go for it if they scrapped it .It could get busy
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2007, 21:21   #17
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

Yeaa!!!!! Looks like I might be able to watch some Virgin HD...some Bleak House and some.......uhmm....bleak house and er........one of the five films available!!

(and then maybe some more Bleak House)
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 21:24   #18
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

HHHmmm - if true I'm sure I could have my samsung box replaced up here in the computer room
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 21:30   #19
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

Thats where my second box is .I dont use my V+ for the hd mainly for recording .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 21:32   #20
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I don't use my v+ much at all at the moment but with luck if I had a second one it would work lol

Anyway it would certainly be nice to have one up here in the computer room.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 22:43   #21
starsailor123uk
Inactive

starsailor123uk will become famous soon enoughstarsailor123uk will become famous soon enoughstarsailor123uk will become famous soon enough

The problem of giving it away for nothing is

1. The substantial loss of revenue form it and all additional V boxes as well ( you could not charge for them seriously then)

2. Sky users have to buy their box and maybe VM are looking at that as an option

3. If you bought it you would probably have to pick up a insurance or repair costs as well

4. Lets not confuse V+ rental and Sky HD Subscription that some have made on this forum. The two are different and VM themselves in answer to arguments about the lack of HD that the £10 is a rental not an HD subscription

5. They currently have a problem with demand outstripping supply in ex NTL areas as there are plenty of posts on the other forum about delays and refusal of a 2nd V+ box whereas I and quite a lot of ex TW have had 2 boxes easy
starsailor123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 22:52   #22
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
If true.
I'm assuming if you don't have V+ then I guess you'd just have to fork out for an installation cost to get the service? Unlike Sky you do not need to buy the box as it's owned by VM.

What's VMs install charge? £75 last I heard. The Sky+ box is only £49 if you get an offer.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 00:42   #23
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Steve Burch said to city analysts a few months ago that VM might consider scrapping the monthly charge for additional standard stbs.

I guess the monthly cost of V+s could be halved if subscribers already take a top tier subscription. But, I can't see the monthly charge being scrapped altogether due to the cost of the boxes to VM.

The cable company is still in enormous debts, hence the private equity interest. Keep giving free things away won't help to reduce that debt burden at all.

I think VM should consider another option, allowing customers to purchase their own V+ outright with the guarantee that faults will be still be fixed by VM if they occur. Money really needs to be spent on the still, diabolical tv service, not yet more freebies.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:12   #24
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Steve Burch said to city analysts a few months ago that VM might consider scrapping the monthly charge for additional standard stbs.

I guess the monthly cost of V+s could be halved if subscribers already take a top tier subscription. But, I can't see the monthly charge being scrapped altogether due to the cost of the boxes to VM.

The cable company is still in enormous debts, hence the private equity interest. Keep giving free things away won't help to reduce that debt burden at all.

I think VM should consider another option, allowing customers to purchase their own V+ outright with the guarantee that faults will be still be fixed by VM if they occur. Money really needs to be spent on the still, diabolical tv service, not yet more freebies.
that wouldnt work, as anyone with the slightest idea already know that the TVdrive/V+ is underpowered (even though its still the fastest ATM)and VM cant seem to fix what they already have (thats 'liberate' for you)with good firmware updates etc, so the promise of box swap/fix doesnt do it for me at least.

HOWEVER......., it could be made to work, but the Virgin Media board would need to do one thing, open up the network to the current cable STB providers that already make the kit and know the whole VM system problems already.., THEN we might start to see some investment from them direct rather than wait and rely on internal VM to sort something out.

its in samsungs and SA's best interests to then get a good working STB available for direct sale to the VM users, even go as far as put new options on any new cable STB's such as working RJ45 multicasting and wireless 11n(yes i like it and want it as standard)to any PC/STB on the users LAN.

and NO its good enough for now thinking, put some thought into it and make each one a two year interlinked cycle perhaps.

they make the kit,write the Fully working (and large scale user signed up bata programs too through CF even)software and sell lots of profitable boxs, Virgin Media just sit back and take the profits for multiple feeds per household and everyone wins and most of all the users are happy to finally get the chance to buy something with the options they want and so are happy to spend more money....

win -win all around and because its still a closed network and still within the VM's power to lord over it the US boardroom can slap themselves on the back for being so innovative and great and finally getting some good income to pay off the loans and build up the new UBR's and other kit, increase company workers happyness ratings and all that other good stuff

OC the current longterm VM STB manufactureing contracts are a big stopper.

unless the current signed firms can justify UK wide hit on that contract(how big is that now iv not looked)and perhaps look to a long term profitable 3rd party UK cable STB/PCI/USB2 market..., how do/would the VM board setup the length of this initial closed 3rd partys agreement without tieing in to long?,thoughts?.

and the need to encurage other 3rd partys to start makeing new kit and joining the UK cable line, its a banance that need more thought,but it needs starting somewere or it remains stagnant as now.

the other BIG thing is how do you get rid of the old 'liberate' infrastucture as limiting as it is now, that too takes investment, can a 3rd party come in as per the hardware 3rd partys to replace the whole shebang in one go, a mini Analogue switchoff for the crappy liberate if you will LOL.

sure, a simple liberate 'wrapper' can be written for any new replacement but thats the key, what replacement and im not talking generic off the shelf good enough for today only,but something thats got 5-10 or even 20 years growth..., id say QNX6.3+ for the realtime OS and 'rebol/view'3.0 for the html/cgi/tcp:IP and many other things you dont even know you want yet(its good really, as you would expect from carl.S writer of AmigaOS fame)but that would take real money, and a long term investment so the rug doesnt get pulled from under these good companys (they are few and far between so we need these real innovators).
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 10:48   #25
ezzie_uk
Inactive

Services: XL TV, 2 V+ boxes, 1 V box XL BB XL Phone My Rates Sky 2mix (Clubland TV)
ezzie_uk will become famous soon enoughezzie_uk will become famous soon enoughezzie_uk will become famous soon enough

V+ charge changes explained.......

As of 1st June, new customers will pay a £150 install/service charge.
XL TV customers will pay no monthly rental for the box
L and M customers will pay £5 per month

NO OTHER INSTALL FEE APPLIES

Existing customers have the option of migrating to the new plan, and paying £100 service fee, then they will pay the above line rental.

These prices mean that customers will save money within the year of taking the service out!

Right now, V+ customers pay a £75 install charge plus a £10 monthly rental (with TV Size: XL). That means in one year the customer will pay £195 for their V+ service (£75 + £120 = £195).

From 1 June a V+ customer (XL) will pay £150 install plus nothing every month. So in the first year they’ll pay £150 for their V+ service (£150 + £0 = £150).

So the customer will save £45 in the first year alone. Then each following year they’ll save an additional £120 in monthly rental fees.

The V+HD box is still rented from virgin media, meaning that if a fault occours it will be fixed or replaced, whereas Sky still cover their Sky+ box, and their seperate HD box with a 12month warranty then charge £99 (each) for another years cover or a £65 call out fee.

Sky+ service is also only free when you take out sports/movies, otherwise £10 month.

In almost all possible scenarios of customers having a V+ Box V Sky+ box, a saving is made of up to £20/month rental (TV size M V 2mixes), and a £9 up front saving is always made.

Compared with Skys HD box, a saving is always made everymonth up to £20 again, and you save £209 up front in all cases.
ezzie_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:03   #26
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Do you have a link for that?

Also, would the 1st June be bills generated after 1st June or bills generated now that cover the period of June (given we pay in advance)?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 14:31   #27
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzie_uk View Post
Existing customers have the option of migrating to the new plan, and paying £100 service fee, then they will pay the above line rental.
So, as an existing customer on the XL pack, I would have to pay £100 upfront in order to pay no monthly rental for the box? Is that right?
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 14:55   #28
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzie_uk View Post
V+ charge changes explained.......

As of 1st June, new customers will pay a £150 install/service charge.
XL TV customers will pay no monthly rental for the box
L and M customers will pay £5 per month

NO OTHER INSTALL FEE APPLIES

These prices mean that customers will save money within the year of taking the service out!

Right now, V+ customers pay a £75 install charge plus a £10 monthly rental (with TV Size: XL). That means in one year the customer will pay £195 for their V+ service (£75 + £120 = £195).

From 1 June a V+ customer (XL) will pay £150 install plus nothing every month. So in the first year they’ll pay £150 for their V+ service (£150 + £0 = £150).

So the customer will save £45 in the first year alone. Then each following year they’ll save an additional £120 in monthly rental fees.

The V+HD box is still rented from virgin media, meaning that if a fault occours it will be fixed or replaced, whereas Sky still cover their Sky+ box, and their seperate HD box with a 12month warranty then charge £99 (each) for another years cover or a £65 call out fee.

Sky+ service is also only free when you take out sports/movies, otherwise £10 month.

In almost all possible scenarios of customers having a V+ Box V Sky+ box, a saving is made of up to £20/month rental (TV size M V 2mixes), and a £9 up front saving is always made.

Compared with Skys HD box, a saving is always made everymonth up to £20 again, and you save £209 up front in all cases.
Learn your facts please

Sky is dropping the Sky Plus charge for all packages

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...on-charge.html
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 15:38   #29
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Howell View Post
So, as an existing customer on the XL pack, I would have to pay £100 upfront in order to pay no monthly rental for the box? Is that right?
Sounds right, i.e. your are better off after 10 months.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 15:57   #30
city-boy
Inactive

city-boy is on a distinguished roadcity-boy is on a distinguished road

Does this mean they will be adding a VIP package price drop also that previously included this charge?
city-boy is offline   Reply With Quote