Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin to scrap V PLUS CHARGE

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New VoD Hardware Being Implemented

Old 19-06-2007, 15:45   #1
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
New VoD Hardware Being Implemented

According to a recent email I recieved from the VoD dept. at Virgin Media, some new Technology is being implemented in the network, however, it is still to come online.

Quote:
Our VoD service remains very much in its nascency, and has been affected by the logistics of bringing two large networks together following the ntl/Telewest merger last year. In the short-term we are reliant, to some degree, on manual rather than automated processes and this in itself can lead to problems caused simply by human error. We have also commissioned some new technology which will help us identify swiftly the sort of problems you have experienced. Regrettably, until that new kit comes on line we are to some extent reliant on feedback from users. There is, after all, a huge volume of changing content on the VoD platform.

I hope that the issue you have identified will soon be resolved, but if you experience further problems of this sort it would be helpful to know.

I appreciate how frustrating these technical problems can be, and hope you'll bear with us while we endeavour to sort them out.
Many VoD Problems could be because of this very improvement in the Technology...
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2007, 16:58   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: New VoD Hardware Being Implemented

Quote:
In the short-term we are reliant, to some degree, on manual rather than automated processes and this in itself can lead to problems caused simply by human error.
Hmmm I had a feeling updating VOD might be down to a chap on a push-bike racing round the head-ends with a couple of bootleg DVD's to upload.

Seriously though my Catch-Up OD has sprang back to life again today after yet another week off which is encouraging. Sadly though, minus last weeks 2 eps of Dalziel and Pascoe which was the only thing of any note worth watching that I missed.

Oh well.

It would sure be nice if VOD got more reliable and started to live up to all the hype we have been fed about it. As usual, it's coming soon I guess.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 17:25   #3
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Now the way I read this info and I may be off mark.

would this mean catch up content would automatically be captured from the channel and uploaded to VOD. Instead of being manually set to record the program and then uploading to the VOD system.

If I am correct could this mean every program transmitted on all channels could find its way to catch up at some point.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 17:34   #4
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light

Mine seems a lot faster and quicker to respond....very good virgin.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 19:08   #5
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
If I am correct could this mean every program transmitted on all channels could find its way to catch up at some point.
Id say its possible, but contracts state different.

You have to say in a contract that you are going to used On Demand for the program, and some shows/owners charge more for that.

I think it is recorded and then put onto the oD server within a couple of Hours... even more so now that they include Adverts on stuff like Football Factories and Britains Toughest Jail, et al.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 20:20   #6
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

I'm not sure if content is being uploaded manually to the servers - for me, content is usually available within an hour of it being on (BBC1's excellent Trawlermen is up now after finishing at 7.30). Much improved compared to 3 months ago.

What they really did to sort out is more capacity for the content on ex-NTL servers.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 23:04   #7
Web-Junkie
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB
Web-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpackWeb-Junkie has a very nice sixpack

Does this kit mean to improve the picture quality of the VOD programs themselves, or will they be left in their rather poor and obviously over compressed state?
Web-Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 23:12   #8
KenK
Inactive

KenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to allKenK is a name known to all

I read it an alerting system to tell them when something is not right, so the guy on the push-bike can be sent back to try again, not anything to improve the basic process.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 23:31   #9
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Channel 4 give the impression on their website that 4OD content has to be manually tweaked (adverts removed etc) before being uploaded. Assuming Channel 4 provide the OD content to Virgin I guess they might be somewhat limited by that.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 08:50   #10
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

This is excellent news, as the ntl/telewest On Demand 'divide' has been my biggest annoyance with the service.

Any timescale? Do they want to be more specific as to what they are actually doing? Also, a simple vod email address to help them correct things like incorrect program titles, aspect ratios would be a great idea...
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 12:33   #11
McMav
Inactive

McMav is an unknown quantity at this point

Catchup TV is all well and good if you could actually get it to play. Over a week down now can see all the listing but when I go to view VOD is unavailable.
McMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 12:55   #12
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: New VoD Hardware Being Implemented

Does it give a errror code
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 14:04   #13
McMav
Inactive

McMav is an unknown quantity at this point

1058 and 1086
McMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 16:26   #14
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMav View Post
1058 and 1086
Same here.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 16:34   #15
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: New VoD Hardware Being Implemented

Have you keep trying i got those a couple of days ago after 4 time i got the program .I forgot what they are i think its a local headend issue not sure
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote