Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Old 16-04-2013, 01:58   #1
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart
Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Here we go again:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5...nt-levels.html
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2013, 02:21   #2
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media New Traffic Management Again

Ugh, those upload limits are horrible in comparison to what it was before. Pretty much stops me streaming to Twitch.

This actually forces me to look towards another ISP now..
Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 02:25   #3
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Yes I agree. The only best three isps out there is BT, Plusnet and Sky FTTC with unlimited and no traffic management but these may change once BT had completed the whole nationwide FTTC in 2015/6 as the BT network might get congestion. Only time will tell, I suppose!
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:13   #4
deakin
cf.addict

deakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enough

It might be the fact that it's past 2am or it's just that i'm a dimwit but i'm a little confuzzled by this. I'm a XXL100 customer and if i'm reading this new policy correctly between the weekday hours of 4pm to 11pm i can only download 4500Mb per hour or i'll get limited for an hour.

If this is the case will i be able to download a file(say a dvd) that's under 4500mb in size at 4pm then again each hour until 11pm. In other words i can download as much as i like as long as it's in chunks of 4500mb or less per hour and i won't get my connection reduced ?
deakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:20   #5
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

No see the 2 hour threshold of 5750mb.
If you download 4500mb in hour one then 1250mb in hour 2 then you will be managed.
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:27   #6
deakin
cf.addict

deakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enough

Right i'm starting to understand now, thank you.
deakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 03:39   #7
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

More info here:-

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-ma...or-higher.html
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 07:41   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

upstream traffic managment is terrible, i usually just let my torrents run 24/7 but ill have no upload now. i will have to stop torrents 5pm to 10pm. probably what virgin want me to do

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 ----------

how fast can you download with 0.75 upload?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:10   #9
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

4.5GB limit on 100Mbit connection

When other ISP's are removing traffic management, VM just keeps punishing their customers.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 09:53   #10
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

No cap before 4pm is welcomed, but the limits after are a joke on 100mb esp the weekends. Though I won't be changing my use over the weekends, I'll just carry on as normal and for the time being live with a slower connection at the weekends. The limits are just too low to change anyone's ways instead of maybe keeping under the old limits of 10gb or 20gb, people will not just not worry about it and download 24/7.

As for being on 100mb then being throttled down to 60% of full speed (40% reduction) it is still fast enough not to notice too much. But those on lower tariffs I do feel for.

I have to say to only find out on the day it comes in is poor. And the constantly changing rules are very much out of order. They ain't doing themseles any favors that's for sure.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:03   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It might just be me being a spoon but I like it. Obviously I would want to get rid of traffic management altogether but I think this policy is better than what we had before. I think it is fantastic that they have seen the sense in getting rid of day time stm as it contradicted their assertion that a "minority of users are affected during peak time".

The only thing which is going to annoy me is that usage is monitored per hour rather than over the total time range. I would rather know I can download 35gb between 1600-2300 without being managed rather than download 5gb per hour (which I can obviously do way more than that on 120mbit)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:14   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

would it not be simpler to remove all traffic management except torrents and cap them 50% between 4pm and 10pm
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:46   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Utterly pointless if you ask me, a 30% limit is going to be useless for managing any serious levels of congestion.

It will, IMO, only help for increasing the amount of oversubscription they can push on higher tariffs before lower ones see significant speed losses.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:07   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
No see the 2 hour threshold of 5750mb.
If you download 4500mb in hour one then 1250mb in hour 2 then you will be managed.
Erm nope
Old 16-04-2013, 11:10   #15
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
would it not be simpler to remove all traffic management except torrents and cap them 50% between 4pm and 10pm
Easier said than done and sadly it's not just torrents that use a lot of traffic these days. The rise of services like netflix has meant that plenty of users now download a lot and it seems Virgin is struggling to keep up.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new policy. The supposedly shorter STM is good, but if you look closely, if you keep downloading then you stay under STM until peak times are over. They're a bit vague at how that actually works and how it's calculated.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote