Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky scraps Sky+ subscription charge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky scraps Sky+ subscription charge

Old 18-05-2007, 18:10   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Sky scraps Sky+ subscription charge

EXCLUSIVE: Sky has announced on the Digital Spy forums that it will scrap the £10 monthly subscription charge for its Sky+ PVR service from July 1.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...on-charge.html
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2007, 21:18   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky scraps Sky+ subscription charge

Knew it would happen sooner or later...
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 21:22   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

About bloody time.

The £10 charge was totally stupid.

I think I will probably now finally upgrade to Sky+ (if I can get round the whole single feed issue).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 08:44   #4
zeus9876
Inactive

Services: Phone, TU24, 50mb, TV
zeus9876 will become famous soon enoughzeus9876 will become famous soon enoughzeus9876 will become famous soon enough

I still dont understand what this means excatly. I have sky+ plus multiroom and sky movies. I pay £46/mo. Does this mean i can get rid of the movies and still save £10/mo ?
zeus9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 09:08   #5
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

OK - we have Sky -- and it's about to come to the end of our first year.

Currently we have standard Sky Digital box - can't remember the exact name of the viewing package - we don't have sports or movies - think it's the family pack - so could we upgrade to a Sky+ service and get a new Sky+ PVR box for nowt?
Old 19-05-2007, 09:55   #6
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

As far as I'm aware - although I'm prepared to be corrected - it's only the £10 monthly charge that they're abolishing. Now, if you already have Movies or Sports, then you don't pay the £10 charge anyway, but if, like me, you only subscribe to the Family Pack then you would normally have to pay the £10 p/month subscription fee (or upgrade to Movies and/or Sports for roughly the same price).

You will still need to pay for the Sky+ STB, which is £99 iirc. But, if you're on the Family Pack, then you'll be saving yourself £120 p/year in subscription charges.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 10:09   #7
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

You only paid the 10 pound charge if your didnt have 2 of their premium channels (i.e. Sky Sports 1&2&3).

Now if only they would drop the stupid HD charge as well.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 10:10   #8
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

if you ring sky and haggle you can probably get the sky+ box for half price or free if you're really lucky.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 10:12   #9
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

how long before Virgin start doing the same when people get through to retentions !
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 11:44   #10
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
how long before Virgin start doing the same when people get through to retentions !
Who knows?

Its a good deal from Sky, and about time too. Competition is good for business, and good for the punter.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 12:33   #11
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon View Post
if you ring sky and haggle you can probably get the sky+ box for half price or free if you're really lucky.
I have.

The woman knew nothing of the news. She asked her manager...

He knew nothing of the news.

I asked if she had access to the web - she didn't.

I asked if she could check it with somebody else. Her manager would ask his manger - but he's not in yet.
Old 19-05-2007, 12:36   #12
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon View Post

I just called to order it, the guy said he wasn't able to put the order through with anything but the current prices and that included the current £60 installation fee compared to the reduced £30 charge in July. I decided to wait until July.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 16:34   #13
RXP
Inactive

Services: 20mbit net Sky Family TV Usenet axxs for HD films
RXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the roughRXP is a jewel in the rough

Awesome, I'm gonna get that in July then. Be nice to start all TV shows 15mins later so you can fly the ads in real time :-p
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 19:23   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I stuck this up as news last night:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...al-subscribers

(my first article - be gentle! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus9876 View Post
I still dont understand what this means excatly. I have sky+ plus multiroom and sky movies. I pay £46/mo. Does this mean i can get rid of the movies and still save £10/mo ?

It means that if you subscribe to *any* Sky Digital TV package you do not have to pay the extra £10/month Sky+ charge, whereas previously you had to have the Movies or Sport Mix if you wanted to avoid the £10 Sky+ charge.

So, yes, if you dumped the Movies, you would be able to continue using Sky+ without having to pay an extra £10/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
You only paid the 10 pound charge if your didnt have 2 of their premium channels (i.e. Sky Sports 1&2&3).

Now if only they would drop the stupid HD charge as well.

A big "only" though. Still plenty of people who don't have Sport or Movies.

e.g. I've got no interest in Sky Sports, & I think the Movie Mix is a waste of money.
Old 19-05-2007, 23:34   #15
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
EXCLUSIVE: Sky has announced on the Digital Spy forums that it will scrap the £10 monthly subscription charge for its Sky+ PVR service from July 1.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...on-charge.html

Checking the times, it seems that DS wasn't first to post this, it was actually first posted by SkyUser.

The DS story appeared just after 4pm on Friday, while the earlier "Sky+ Team" forum post at DS appeared shortly *after* the same Sky+ Team info was posted at SkyUser (2:22pm at DS vs 2:11pm at SkyUser).