Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1 hour IP address lease?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1 hour IP address lease?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:12   #1
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point
1 hour IP address lease?

Hi,

I am asking for a friend.

I have noticed when looking at my friends Super Hub 3, the IP address lease seems to be fixed to an hour and it has been for a few months, I always thought the lease was 7 days?

Thanks for looking at my post and I’ll look forward to the responses.
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2018, 11:26   #2
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I always thought you could set what you wanted.....

I have my lease set to 2 days...... Is there an advantage of a shorter time? (Or longer)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: 1 hour IP address lease?

I don't think there is really an advantage (for the consumer at leas) to either, as Virgin tend (in my experience) to assign the same IP address again. One of our now ex members (can't recall who) described their IPs as "sticky" rather than "static" (which means you are assigned an IP that won't change) or "dyanamic" (where you just get the first Ip available, and it may change). With VM's system at the time, you were assigned a dynamic IP, but the system probably wouldn't change the IP assigned to you unless there was a problem .
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I have my lease set to 2 days...... Is there an advantage of a shorter time? (Or longer)
DHCP lease time is configured on the DHCP provider, not the client.

You can usually change the lease time in the DHCP configuration of your router at home for the local address your machine picks up on your home network. Not the lease assigned by your ISP to your public (WAN) address.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:27   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I don't think there is really an advantage (for the consumer at leas) to either, as Virgin tend (in my experience) to assign the same IP address again. One of our now ex members (can't recall who) described their IPs as "sticky" rather than "static" (which means you are assigned an IP that won't change) or "dyanamic" (where you just get the first Ip available, and it may change). With VM's system at the time, you were assigned a dynamic IP, but the system probably wouldn't change the IP assigned to you unless there was a problem .
Perhaps not ex-member as I seem to recall ignitionet mentioning it quite a few yrs ago.

I could always be wrong though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 22:58   #6
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Are we talking external or internal IP addresses as been leased for an hour?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:38   #7
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter

You can usually change the lease time in the DHCP configuration of your router at home for the local address your machine picks up on your home network. Not the lease assigned by your ISP to your public (WAN) address.
Thanx for explaining Uncle Peter
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:57   #8
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Perhaps not ex-member as I seem to recall ignitionet mentioning it quite a few yrs ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Are we talking external or internal IP addresses as been leased for an hour?
Quote:
Thanx for explaining Uncle Peter
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Last edited by Paul M; 03-08-2018 at 13:58. Reason: Only one thanks needed.
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote