Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | R.I.P Full Metal Jacket R. Lee Ermey dies aged 74

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Phrase 'British values' deemed offensive teachers told.

Old 09-04-2018, 18:34   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Phrase 'British values' deemed offensive teachers told.

Teachers told not to use offensive terms when talking about terrorism:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...t-of-cultural/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hers-told.html

A rebuttal:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ning-scottish/

'It's PC gone mad' seems an apt term in this case.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2018, 18:53   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Phrase 'British values' deemed offensive teachers told.

British "values" have changed over time. Some for the better, some for the worst. MODERN British values are hard to define, unlike one example, the way we act in queues.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 20:49   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Typical Richard thread. No substance at all.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 21:51   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The trouble is that "British Values" is an undefined phrase, which if you asked 100 people, you would probably get 75 different lists - so how can something undefined be taught?

According to OFSTED, the 5 British values that should be taught are -

Democracy.
The rule of law.
Individual liberty.
Mutual respect.
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs

Sounds fair too me.

btw, Richard, the date on your Telegraph article is "28 MARCH 2016" - the two later articles are just the SNP being a bit silly, and being denounced for their action by Muslim leaders.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 23:27   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Typical Richard thread. No substance at all.
Is that the best you can think of to contribute?

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
British "values" have changed over time. Some for the better, some for the worst. MODERN British values are hard to define, unlike one example, the way we act in queues.
Fair point Taf.

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The trouble is that "British Values" is an undefined phrase, which if you asked 100 people, you would probably get 75 different lists - so how can something undefined be taught?

According to OFSTED, the 5 British values that should be taught are -

Democracy.
The rule of law.
Individual liberty.
Mutual respect.
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs

Sounds fair too me.

btw, Richard, the date on your Telegraph article is "28 MARCH 2016" - the two later articles are just the SNP being a bit silly, and being denounced for their action by Muslim leaders.
Thanks for pointing that out, my error.

This is the more up to date article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...achers-should/

The five British values you quoted sound fair enough to me too; it appears to be the phrase 'British values' itself that has been labelled as 'cultural supremism'.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-04-2018 at 23:33. Reason: Added up to date link.
Old 10-04-2018, 00:06   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Is that the best you can think of to contribute?[COLOR="Silver"]
Not at all and am happy to oblige.

Let's start with the thread title, ambiguous. Who has deemed it offensive?- an NUT conference 2 yrs ago but you deem it current affairs, at least that's where you've posted it.

Were they told not to use the phrase? Of course not!

You then make a post in the thread that you have titled putting forward a totally different point.

Quote:
Teachers told not to use offensive terms when talking about terrorism
So, we have a thread title, a post that has nothing to do with the thread title other than some links to try to justify the thread title and nothing of actual substance in relation to either your post or thread title.

Have I missed anything?
Old 10-04-2018, 00:44   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

If my limited abilities to post in line with your requirements do not meet your expected standards, I suggest that you no longer enter any of my threads.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:22   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

You asked, I answered. If you have a problem with that don't ask the question.
Old 10-04-2018, 16:34   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

You are aware of the limitations caused as a result of my brain injury.

I find your persistent posts violate my dignity and create an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating and offensive environment.

Please stop.
Old 10-04-2018, 16:54   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Richard, no one is aware of what your "limitations" are - whilst you have stated previously that you have had an injury in general terms, but no specifics, and no details of what effect it has had on you, or your cognition.

This is a forum that encourages rational and reasoned debate, and pip's comments are both - we will not stifle debate because you don't like people disagreeing with you.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 17:16   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

At various times I suffer from all the effects that are listed in this link:

https://www.brainline.org/article/co...c-brain-injury

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me (that's one of the reasons for debating after all), but it appears that Pip is abusing my disability in order to inflate his own ego at my expense. His posts to/about me are over critical to the point of pedancy, snide, rude, sanctimonious, acerbic etc and I find it upsetting.

On the advice of my disability support worker earlier today, I was asked to request him to stop and to explain the effect that his conduct is having on me to make him aware.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-04-2018 at 17:19.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:12   #12
nfs6600
cf.geek

Services: All
nfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant future

If peoples replies on the forum are upsetting you, the best advice your support worker should give you would be to be stop posting. If the replies you get upset you, rethink what you post in the first place?

......or just don't post at all?
nfs6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:33   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Please stop.
Let me make this crystal clear, this is not your forum Richard, and you are not in a position to be making demands.

If you cannot cope with other peoples replies, and people disagreeing with you, then I suggest you leave until you can.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:48   #14
RizzyKing

Richard sorry but your being very thin skinned and personally i see you as one of those who represent a major problem we have these days in this country in thinking everything should accomadate you or adapt to you. It's all over the internet at the minute people going to parts that don't suit them usually posting comments\threads they know will get disagreed with then expecting it to change rather then doing the old fashioned thing of not going to those sites or whatever and going to sites more inline with that person.

The internet is vast and caters to all it's upto the individual to find their happy place which there are plenty of not to go somewhere and expect it to change. Free speech is fast dying in the UK because people are too thin skinned or quick to play an ism card of some sort when they don't get their way and I'm getting tired of it. I'm disabled i have had to deal with people insulting me for that in the past and I've dealt with it in one of two ways, firstly if it's a forum or other site that i know will support the people insulting me I don't go back or if like cable forum there isn't an ingrained acceptance of such behaviour i learnt not to let it get to me and got a little better at my comebacks on the very odd occasion it's needed.

What i never did was report it to admins or as a lot are doing these days the police i find that absolutely pathetic unless specific threats of violence were made by someone who knows your address. Free speech isn't meant to be easy, it isn't meant to only apply if you like it and it shouldn't be stiffled because some people are too precious.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:34   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
'It's PC gone mad' seems an apt term in this case.
I thought this only happend in the US!!!!!

"British values" offensive??

Totally insane!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote