Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

Old 19-05-2016, 19:00   #1
sebyoung
cf.member

sebyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

After a disastrous 3 months on the business 50Mb service a while back, we've just joined Virgin Media Business again on their new 200Mb service. We have 1 static IP (needed) and the Hitron CGNV4 router. The engineer said modem mode isn't possible with a static IP, though it's coming soon (heard that before!).

I've done a bit of searching around and I can't find anything to the contrary. Does anyone know of a way around this at present?
sebyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2016, 19:04   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Hitron CGNV4 - Static IP and Modem Mode

I'm a business engineer for VM. Modem mode is only available with dynamic IP
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:09   #3
sebyoung
cf.member

Thank you. Looks like we'll be leaving Virgin Media again.
Old 20-05-2016, 02:50   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I also heard it was coming soon, as will be the option to have a static routed subnet, which was available with the older business Sh1 based device, but they don't offer that now.

Originally I was told by June. How they are saying in Q3
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:40   #5
sebyoung
cf.member

Thanks for the information. For now I might ask to be put back on dynamic, which is really no good, but I hear that the IP is very sticky. Is this true?
Old 20-05-2016, 09:38   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. Doesn't change unless certain network maintenance work is done.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:44   #7
sebyoung
cf.member

Thanks. Will give it a try on "dynamic" and see how we go, because the actual connection is fantastic.
Old 22-05-2016, 16:21   #8
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
I'm a business engineer for VM. Modem mode is only available with dynamic IP
What if I attach a GRE Tunnel enabled router to the modem mode Hitron and use UN/PW authentication to set the tunnel up? The router will have the dynamic IP address.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 19:39   #9
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What if I attach a GRE Tunnel enabled router to the modem mode Hitron and use UN/PW authentication to set the tunnel up? The router will have the dynamic IP address.
I'll leave that to you to discover, you will know more about that stuff than me!
Old 23-05-2016, 16:49   #10
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I also heard it was coming soon, as will be the option to have a static routed subnet, which was available with the older business Sh1 based device, but they don't offer that now.

Originally I was told by June. How they are saying in Q3
I wouldn't hold your breath, after having to move from 50meg business broadband due to the Superhub crashing every 4 hours I was told i'd soon be able to get a static IP again back in November 2014.

Originally I was told Jan 2015, then March 2015, then June 2015... a year and a half later nothing has progressed...

In that time the dynamically assigned IP address has never changed though.
Old 08-06-2016, 00:15   #11
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I see a new section has been added to the user guides on the VMB website which talks about putting the Hitron into modem mode, so it looks like there has been a new firmware update that provides this capability now:-

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk...ode-User-Guide
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09   #12
sebyoung
cf.member

I thought this was always possible, just for dynamic IPs only.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:00   #13
vm_tech
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebyoung View Post
I thought this was always possible, just for dynamic IPs only.
Correct
Old 09-06-2016, 01:17   #14
ccarmock
cf.geek

Ah ok sorry I thought the originally released firmware did not have a modem mode option at all.

Also this user guied was added fairly recently to the online help section
Old 26-09-2016, 14:26   #15
90Ninety
Inactive

90Ninety is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread , so will try to tread carefully

The Hitron CGNV4 is used by several ISP globally , this thread was regarding a Virgin business Hitron CGNV4 Router Functionality

My understanding is that the Modem Only mode was introduced sometime after the Hitron was initially released by Virgin . It is available now however

It is also confirmed now by Virgin business ( Verbally ) that they Cannot currrently support or recommend Public Static IP addressing for the vast majority of consumers . It is a well known problem that these routers struggle with Static IP addressing .

We have the 200Mb line for Virgin Business, it was never stable until we switched to Static to dynamic , now the internet is fast and stable . However I have tried every configuration possible on the Hitron in order to get ports open , unfortunately the router just will not open ports .

I wondered if enabling Modem only mode and using a secondary router to forward ports is the only answer ?

Last edited by 90Ninety; 26-09-2016 at 14:30.
90Ninety is offline   Reply With Quote