Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:21   #256
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Thanks Chris I may have to buy another box, will look into ones that are easy to connect without complications

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Box is now gone dead. Will have to replace it, if I purchase a HDR 1100S at £179 as this one has an on demand choice, is is a straight forward one to connect or do I need extra connections to TV and box, Or is it better to stay with the style I have that just records, Really confusing
Manhattan have just released a brand new single tuner non record box. HDMI & analogue TV connections provided. Looks interesting, no OD services though by the look of it.

Argos have just started stocking it.

https://manhattan-tv.com/products/ma...-sx-freesat-hd

Last edited by nodrogd; 05-05-2018 at 11:26.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2018, 13:32   #257
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Manhattan have just released a brand new single tuner non record box. HDMI & analogue TV connections provided. Looks interesting, no OD services though by the look of it.

I need one that can record programmes

Last edited by nashville; 05-05-2018 at 13:55. Reason: What do you think of the HDR 1100s Humax, Can I use this without connecting to my internet, as my router is in another room
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 15:07   #258
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post

My box is a non recording Manhattan and was £50 a few years ago, so that's good value.

It did have limited On Demand though (ITV Hub and IPlayer only), but the iPlayer was withdrawn. Not sure if the ITV Hub still works of not.

I believe that with some boxes you can now add non Freesat channels to the EPG and record them, which is what i'd buy if I needed a new box.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:
I need one that can record programmes
In answer to your questions, the Humax HDR1100 has WiFi, so it could connect to the internet that way. If it has no internet access it obviously can't provide you with VOD, but it will still receive and record programmes

You can see what other features it has before deciding in its manual here:

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/manuals/

Vintage TV have asked that anyone unhappy with channels leaving because of the new charging policy to complain using this link:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain-to-ofcom

Will there be any music channels left after Vintage leaves? Also, even if the new charging policy is amended, how many will come back? When people stop using a service, they sometimes find that they can manage perfectly well without it...

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 05-05-2018 at 15:43.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 16:20   #259
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks Richard , You have been a good help,
Old 05-05-2018, 18:46   #260
nashville
nashville

Quote:
Thanks Richard , You have been a good help,
I like the HDR1100s. 500 GB, Richard Sound have it for £172 49 other places are £199". Wondered if this was a reliable one
Old 05-05-2018, 18:46   #261
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Happy to help.

Nollywood TV has closed down on Sky 327. On 22/2/18 It was replaced on Virgin Media with AIT, now we know why.

At the moment they are showing vintage English/American films; I assume that this is to keep the EPG slot alive and sell it on.

Tune in if this is your thing!

11464H 22000 5/6
Old 06-05-2018, 09:36   #262
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My box is a non recording Manhattan and was £50 a few years ago, so that's good value.

It did have limited On Demand though (ITV Hub and IPlayer only), but the iPlayer was withdrawn. Not sure if the ITV Hub still works of not.

I believe that with some boxes you can now add non Freesat channels to the EPG and record them, which is what i'd buy if I needed a new box.
ALL Freesat boxes have STB mode. But Freesat insist that it is no longer documented in the provided manuals. It is also not so easy to jump in & out of STB mode than when the older Manhattan was produced. There are plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how to tune in STB mode on the present Freesat boxes (usually aimed at ROI viewers). One will soon appear for the SX in due course I have no doubt.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 15:59   #263
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Must admit i've never heard of STB mode; i'll take a look at YouTube.

AIUI first generation Humax Foxsat HDR boxes can have custom firmware added that will allow the adding of channels to the channel list (that will appear in the EPG but with very limited programme info) and can be recorded using non Freesat mode and entered manually.

However, once they're added to the EPG you don't need to switch to non freesat mode to record them. Simply set up a manual timer from within the Freesat EPG and it's done.

You can even set it to record once only, daily (inc weekdays only), or weekly if it's a series.

Is this similar to the STB mode that you describe?
Old 07-05-2018, 17:37   #264
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Nollywood has now been renamed to Retro Movies.
Old 07-05-2018, 19:24   #265
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I like the HDR1100s. 500 GB, Richard Sound have it for £172 49 other places are £199". Wondered if this was a reliable one
Sorry I’m late back to this thread.

We have the Humax 1100S, terabyte model, in white. It’s very easy to set up and use and has YouTube and Netflix apps built in, alongside iPlayer, stv player and Demand 5. All 4 is presently missing because channel 4 are having a carriage dispute with Freesat. I expect it will return eventually.

On the BBC channels you can tune to a programme and, if it’s halfway through, choose to start watching it from the start even if you haven’t been recording it. It does this by automatically accessing the iPlayer. Very useful.

The first box we had, we had to return after a month because it stopped responding to its remote. Amazon refunded it no quibble (they couldn’t automatically replace as it was a “fulfilled by” purchase). We ordered another one and it’s been fine.

It is a far better machine than the Echostar we had previously, which used to lock up at random every couple of weeks for no apparent reason, requiring a hard reboot via the wall socket.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:57   #266
nashville
nashville

I have just ordered this one. I hope I have no problem
Old 08-05-2018, 16:57   #267
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Could you let us know what you think of it when it comes please? If Virgin continue to push up prices I may well get rid of them.

Cheap plusnet broadband, no landline, built in Freeview on the TV and a Freesat PVR with catch up would suit me fine.
Old 08-05-2018, 21:50   #268
nashville
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Could you let us know what you think of it when it comes please? If Virgin continue to push up prices I may well get rid of them.

Cheap plusnet broadband, no landline, built in Freeview on the TV and a Freesat PVR with catch up would suit me fine.
Will keep you informed Richard
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46   #269
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks nashville
Old 10-05-2018, 14:27   #270
nashville
nashville

Hi Richard , hdr1100s up and running , Great picture ,I like how we can get YouTube etc, quite easy to understand if I concentrate , But when it is switched on each time it goes to TV channels and we have to choose say 101 and then click watch now, I would prefer if it just went straight to the picture of the last channel watched. Any more news will let you know,