Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 box reviewed in The Guardian

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 box reviewed in The Guardian

Old 15-11-2019, 11:07   #1
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all
V6 box reviewed in The Guardian

The Guardian's Consumer Technology editor has written a review of the V6 box. Don't know why now, seeing as its been around for a while. Anyway, it scored 4 stars out of 5.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ew-tv-recorder
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2019, 11:02   #2
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: V6 box reviewed in The Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK View Post
The Guardian's Consumer Technology editor has written a review of the V6 box. Don't know why now, seeing as its been around for a while. Anyway, it scored 4 stars out of 5.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ew-tv-recorder
Guardian has obviously just woken up to the fact Virgin have a new box - only 3 years too late.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 13:58   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Guardian has obviously just woken up to the fact Virgin have a new box - only 3 years too late.
I agree that the UI is outdated and old fashioned, but I must say that I don't think the other downsides identified are of any concern to most people. It makes great play of the lack of Sky UHD material but ignores the fact that this will be rectified early next year. The omission of the Sky Atlantic channel is annoying, but those of us who want to see that material have found other ways to do it. And the statement that you cannot access Game of Thrones on the V6 is wrong, because it is available from the Virgin Store, albeit on a PPV basis.

All in all, I prefer Virgin's system to that of Sky, with their swish new interface. My wife still struggles to work out how the Sky Q menu system works; you can only record from the main box and whereas VM viewers can find alternative ways of viewing SA, Sky viewers cannot access Virgin's Ultra High Definition channel. Amazon Prime isn't available yet on Q either.

At £99, the total VM bundle I have represents excellent value, particularly when I recall that I was paying £120-ish every month with BT in the 1990s.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:12   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Value it may be, but the concept of paying £100 a month for TV makes my eyes water. You must do little else but sit on your couch with a remote in your hand ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:18   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Value it may be, but the concept of paying £100 a month for TV makes my eyes water. You must do little else but sit on your couch with a remote in your hand ...
TV, broadband and landline, actually.

We do tend to be in most evenings - not through choice, and the TV provides us with our entertainment. Otherwise, I'd probably be down the pub, going to theatres/cinemas, etc, all of which would cost rather more than £99 per month.

The TV does not normally get switched on before 7pm and I am rarely in the room to watch it until after 8pm.
Old 16-11-2019, 15:10   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My wife still struggles to work out how the Sky Q menu system works
Being that your wife has Virgin V6 at your home that's hardly a shock is it , you get used to the interface you use daily.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 19:16   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Being that your wife has Virgin V6 at your home that's hardly a shock is it , you get used to the interface you use daily.
Not really. When I showed my wife how to use the TiVo, she clicked in immediately. With the Sky Q she said words to the effect of 'I can't be doing with that!'.

Personally, I don't have a particular problem with the Q, but I know what she means. And although I am pretty proficient with both systems, I prefer the Tivo.

Just to be clear, I am not criticising Sky, I am just pointing out that some people do not take to it very well. It's a bit too clever for its own good.
Old 16-11-2019, 19:19   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

To find anything on Sky Q you don't realistically need to mess in the UI you can pretty much find everything with voice , I just wish they'd hurry up with the further enhancement of voice as it's so much quicker and easier.
Old 16-11-2019, 19:22   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
To find anything on Sky Q you don't realistically need to mess in the UI you can pretty much find everything with voice , I just wish they'd hurry up with the further enhancement of voice as it's so much quicker and easier.
Voice? I think we might be into mental breakdown territory!

I'm afraid that my wife might want to have a conversation and discuss some personal issues. Please don't go there - I'm not encouraging it!
Old 16-11-2019, 20:27   #10
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

It's much easier even my parents use it daily and trust me if they can anyone can.
Old 16-11-2019, 20:28   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Trust me it's much easier even my parents use it daily and trust me if they can anyone can.
Believe me, I have no problem with voice. But I am not the only one living here!

And you have not met my wife....(as far as I know!).
Old 17-11-2019, 15:46   #12
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Shame about all the innacurracies already pointed out, as well as:

Catchup content is handled by the respective broadcaster’s apps, not fully integrated into the platform as recordings are.

It appears the reviewer only bothered to look at the BBC catch up content.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 12:31   #13
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Samuel Gibbs reviewed Sky's Q box a week previously and gave it a glowing five star review, despite the lack of HDR and Amazon Prime. I think he's just more familiar with Sky Q as his criticisms of the V6 aren't substantial.
I prefer Sky's blue to Virgin's purple but other than that have few problems with Virgin's EPG's TiVo design. We're not permitted dishes on our property so I've never been a Sky customer. Virgin with an occasional month or two of Now TV meets all our TV needs, and £99 a month is a lot less than my friends with Sky Q pay for all of their services.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote