Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky HD / Sky Q Catchup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

New SkyQ packages

Old 18-08-2016, 13:11   #1
S_james

New SkyQ packages

Sky's "premium" offering has received refreshed packages.

No more SkyQ Silver, only SkyQ 2tb and SkyQ 1tb also all existing offers now carry over.

So if you have 50% off on your current deal that deal will carry over. There are also free install offers where you pay £30 for the 2tb/1tb box and £30 for your first SkyQ mini box plus your existing 50% off offers. Any other SkyQ minis will cost £99 and the £12 multi room fee has returned. I've took an offer £60 for the 2tb and a mini free install and my current 50% off stands as does my half price fibre unlimited BB plus the new sky q hub.

Check "my offers" in your My Sky section of the Sky.com website.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

http://www.sky.com/shop/sky-bundles

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Also worth mentioning it's now a 12 month contract, not the previous 18month contract.
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2016, 00:18   #2
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age
Re: New SkyQ packages

It's now getting very tempting to upgrade to it, especially since I upgraded to a new UHD TV
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 03:03   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Desperation setting in ?

I guess the ridiculous prices and contract lengths didnt tempt many people, despite all the hype.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:45   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Desperation setting in ?

I guess the ridiculous prices and contract lengths didnt tempt many people, despite all the hype.
Yep there was no way i was going to pay the full price and now i'm more annoyed that i didn't wait another week to even more savings .Install today cost £60,18 month contract and £12 per month more .
Old 20-08-2016, 09:36   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Yep there was no way i was going to pay the full price and now i'm more annoyed that i didn't wait another week to even more savings .Install today cost £60,18 month contract and £12 per month more .
Call up to cancel the install. They will price match
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:55   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Call up to cancel the install. They will price match
I might ring to see if i can get a discount on the install fee which has already been paid but i don't want to cancel the install
Old 20-08-2016, 20:09   #7
martyh

That had to be the worst install ever

All that should have been required was a swap of the LNB ,connect the main box and set up then connect the mini box and set up then demonstrate the product .

What actually happened was after swapping the LNB and connecting the main box there was no picture ,engineer tried all settings he could think of but still no picture so went to the van for another box assuming the first was faulty ,this happened twice more eventually the engineer found some HDMI settings that when changed allowed a picture so he packed up the other 2 boxes and returned them to his van .At this point 2 hrs had passed and he noticed that there was satellite signal so he assumed the LNB was faulty and proceeded to change that ,still no signal so he moved the dish to a higher position tested the LNB at the dish and success ,he said there was signal. He then proceeded to connect the cable to the box but no signal so he tested the cable and it said there was a signal but the box said there wasn't so he went back to his van for another box and tried that ,still no signal so he phoned his boss to cancel the rest of his jobs that afternoon ,he then proceeded to change the cable and finally we had a signal .He arrived at my house at 1pm and left at 5:40pm .I don't know if he was just unlucky or his process of elimination to find faults was the problem but it wasn't very good considering we had a perfect sky+HD service when he arrived .

One thing to beware of when having SkyQ installed is to make sure your HDMI settings on Panasonic vierra tv's are set to regular and not enhanced ,this may apply to other models also .I did not even know that setting was available as it's not even in the instruction book .

Also i am a bit confused about the UHD ability .SkyQ is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 ,my tv is HDMI 2.0 4K UHD so what is the difference and what will the best picture quality i can expect from Sky Q .
Old 20-08-2016, 23:59   #8
S_james

Quote:
That had to be the worst install ever

All that should have been required was a swap of the LNB ,connect the main box and set up then connect the mini box and set up then demonstrate the product .

What actually happened was after swapping the LNB and connecting the main box there was no picture ,engineer tried all settings he could think of but still no picture so went to the van for another box assuming the first was faulty ,this happened twice more eventually the engineer found some HDMI settings that when changed allowed a picture so he packed up the other 2 boxes and returned them to his van .At this point 2 hrs had passed and he noticed that there was satellite signal so he assumed the LNB was faulty and proceeded to change that ,still no signal so he moved the dish to a higher position tested the LNB at the dish and success ,he said there was signal. He then proceeded to connect the cable to the box but no signal so he tested the cable and it said there was a signal but the box said there wasn't so he went back to his van for another box and tried that ,still no signal so he phoned his boss to cancel the rest of his jobs that afternoon ,he then proceeded to change the cable and finally we had a signal .He arrived at my house at 1pm and left at 5:40pm .I don't know if he was just unlucky or his process of elimination to find faults was the problem but it wasn't very good considering we had a perfect sky+HD service when he arrived .

One thing to beware of when having SkyQ installed is to make sure your HDMI settings on Panasonic vierra tv's are set to regular and not enhanced ,this may apply to other models also .I did not even know that setting was available as it's not even in the instruction book .

Also i am a bit confused about the UHD ability .SkyQ is HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 ,my tv is HDMI 2.0 4K UHD so what is the difference and what will the best picture quality i can expect from Sky Q .
Might it have been worth asking such questions BEFORE your install?
Old 21-08-2016, 00:42   #9
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I spoke with a Sky engineer, who was in our road. He said that he dreads installing Sky Q. As they have not had proper training on them. They are a nightmare.

Sky Q has only just started, and it is expensive.

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with there new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

Big problem is on both sets of boxes. VM and Sky want to outdo each other on the style
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:11   #10
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_james View Post
Might it have been worth asking such questions BEFORE your install?
What questions ? what is HDCP2.2 i never heard of it my tv is UHD 4k

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I spoke with a Sky engineer, who was in our road. He said that he dreads installing Sky Q. As they have not had proper training on them. They are a nightmare.

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with there new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

Big problem is on both sets of boxes. VM and Sky want to outdo each other on the style
My engineer said they had very little training
Old 21-08-2016, 11:11   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

I honestly cannot see VM beating it with their new Tivo Box. I hear there are problems on them.

of course you did.

Its not expensive at all
I can get a better and cheaper deal for Q than I can with VM and TiVo. Shows that 13 years of loyalty mean nothing.
Old 21-08-2016, 13:10   #12
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Turns out it's not quite so simple in a block of flats as permission is needed from the management company to upgrade the dish.

They were happy to start the proceedings but warned I would be starting a new 12 month contract, and even though my current half price offer is coming to an end in October, I might not be able to get further discounts. So I thought I might as well wait until then and negotiate Sky Q and a further discount on my package for the next year.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:27   #13
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Turns out it's not quite so simple in a block of flats as permission is needed from the management company to upgrade the dish.

They were happy to start the proceedings but warned I would be starting a new 12 month contract, and even though my current half price offer is coming to an end in October, I might not be able to get further discounts. So I thought I might as well wait until then and negotiate Sky Q and a further discount on my package for the next year.
i would imagine 2 separate dishes would be required one for sky q and one for regular sky
Old 21-08-2016, 14:42   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What questions ? what is HDCP2.2 i never heard of it
HDCP2.2 is the copy protection.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 15:18   #15
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
HDCP2.2 is the copy protection.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
Cheers ,apparently this is needed for Q to show UHD content.

I got one question if you could answer it .I am trying to set the recordings for the wife and i set coronation st 7:30pm on monday applied the series link and then checked the epg but only one recording is showing, the 8:30pm showing is not listed in recordings .With the old sky + i could see all planned recordings simply by looking at the epg and you would see all little red 'r's next to the program so i don't know if the 7:30 showing is series linked for the whole week on a daily basis or 7:30 on consecutive weeks