Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-10-2017, 02:35   #3796
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Disregarding the rights of wrongs of this, it amazes me that the authorities have time to pursue this sort of thing to protect the rich film studios, whilst at the same time say that, for example, online paedophiles & some burglaries won't be investigated due to a lack of resources.
I think they are doing both, Richard. Resources only spread so far, and so the ability to prosecute is pretty stretched.

I know this is a sensitive subject, but in the end, we are talking about theft.

Would you be happy, if you were in charge of the police, to ignore all crimes that were not more serious than the worst crimes?

You need to take a more holistic approach to this problem.
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2017, 12:56   #3797
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think they are doing both, Richard. Resources only spread so far, and so the ability to prosecute is pretty stretched.

I know this is a sensitive subject, but in the end, we are talking about theft.

Would you be happy, if you were in charge of the police, to ignore all crimes that were not more serious than the worst crimes?

You need to take a more holistic approach to this problem.
Reality is money talks and with the uk goverment and studios intent on spying on our internet usuage a vpn is vital, i have nothing to hide but i pay for my net not the studios so i'll do what i bloody well want with it aslong as it's within the law ish.
Old 28-10-2017, 13:42   #3798
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm not sure you're correct here. Are you saying that stealing online content is less of a theft than stealing a DVD from a shop? And that the only people who lose out are the studios and no one else? And what evidence is there that online paedophiles are not being investigated?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-police-chief/

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Reality is money talks and with the uk goverment and studios intent on spying on our internet usuage a vpn is vital, i have nothing to hide but i pay for my net not the studios so i'll do what i bloody well want with it aslong as it's within the law ish.
It certainly does, in our capitalist society the average sentence for destroying property by arson is higher than the average sentence for destroying a person by rape.
Old 28-10-2017, 15:36   #3799
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-police-chief/

It certainly does, in our capitalist society the average sentence for destroying property by arson is higher than the average sentence for destroying a person by rape.
10 years for downloading a movie/tv show illegally, 2 years for mugging a old lady.
Old 28-10-2017, 17:32   #3800
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Disregarding the rights of wrongs of this, it amazes me that the authorities have time to pursue this sort of thing to protect the rich film studios, whilst at the same time say that, for example, online paedophiles & some burglaries won't be investigated due to a lack of resources.
In the case we've been discussing the authorities didn't pursue it, Sky and F.A.C.T. did, both are private entities.
I don't think Sky needs any explanation lol but F.A.C.T. is a private organisation funded by various copyright holders.
Old 28-10-2017, 19:27   #3801
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thanks for clarifying that buckeye.

As the police are now claiming to have too little resources to carry out everyday tasks (the smoking in cars with U18's present law has largely been ignored for this very reason), I have an issue with TV Licensing, bailiffs etc effectively using the police as personal bodyguards. I think that they should have to pay for this or the service should be discontinued; after all football clubs have to.

Knowing that public money was not used for this makes me feel better about it, after all the police don't routinely hang around shops hoping to catch thieves, they have to sort out security and Investigations out themselves and so should Sky etc.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-10-2017 at 19:35.
Old 29-10-2017, 00:34   #3802
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that buckeye.

As the police are now claiming to have too little resources to carry out everyday tasks (the smoking in cars with U18's present law has largely been ignored for this very reason), I have an issue with TV Licensing, bailiffs etc effectively using the police as personal bodyguards. I think that they should have to pay for this or the service should be discontinued; after all football clubs have to.

Knowing that public money was not used for this makes me feel better about it, after all the police don't routinely hang around shops hoping to catch thieves, they have to sort out security and Investigations out themselves and so should Sky etc.
I think that if there is a law on something, it should be enforced.

However, bad laws make for bad decisions. The discussion we are having on this is one reason why, in my opinion, we should make the BBC a subscription service.

The licensing system is old fashioned, outdated, untargeted, and needs to be replaced. Why on Earth should anyone have to pay for a service they don't use? Ridiculous!
Old 29-10-2017, 10:51   #3803
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

However, bad laws make for bad decisions. The discussion we are having on this is one reason why, in my opinion, we should make the BBC a subscription service.

The licensing system is old fashioned, outdated, untargeted, and needs to be replaced. Why on Earth should anyone have to pay for a service they don't use? Ridiculous!
You speak the truth!
Old 29-10-2017, 12:46   #3804
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:

BIB spot on for example Skygo does not have any BBC channels or content so really you should not need a tv licence for it, however tv licencing say you do.
So i'm paying for BBC despite not using the BBC.
Old 29-10-2017, 13:10   #3805
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
BIB spot on for example Skygo does not have any BBC channels or content so really you should not need a tv licence for it, however tv licencing say you do.
So i'm paying for BBC despite not using the BBC.
Quite so, although I don't think I would be happy to be without it, so I would certainly subscribe, as I believe the majority of people in this country would.
Old 29-10-2017, 14:53   #3806
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Quite so, although I don't think I would be happy to be without it, so I would certainly subscribe, as I believe the majority of people in this country would.
Oh don't get me wrong BBC make superb documentarys infact one starts tonight blue planet 2 and i've heard good things about their new drama gunpowder so really it's swings and roundabouts.
Old 30-10-2017, 20:02   #3807
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
The guy was actually uploading it to other users, although it was ruled earlier this year in the ECJ that streaming was illegal.
Yes, at the moment they are concentrating on suppliers. But how long before they turn their attention to individuals simply receiving these streams and not sharing?

It could be just a matter of time.
Old 30-10-2017, 22:45   #3808
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes, at the moment they are concentrating on suppliers. But how long before they turn their attention to individuals simply receiving these streams and not sharing?

It could be just a matter of time.
I think it was proven when they went after torrent end users, they are on a hiding to nothing. That's why they started to target the torrent and streaming sites, in fact that's all they do now.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:31   #3809
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

‘Lord of the Rings’: Amazon, Warner Bros. in Talks for Series Adaptation.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord...on-1202606519/
Old 04-11-2017, 10:07   #3810
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
‘Lord of the Rings’: Amazon, Warner Bros. in Talks for Series Adaptation.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord...on-1202606519/
I kinda hope their talks don't amount to anything. I'd rather they did something that we don't already have on film or TV. If they want the LOTR format then the Belgarion books would have been perfect or if they wanted more politics than fantasy in the balance like GoT there are plenty out there such as Jennifer Fallons Wolfblade books.

There are hundreds of fantasy book series out there with big enough followings that are perfect for TV and haven't already been done on screen.
Closed Thread