Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 19:26   #1471
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Remind me, wasn't that the same David Cameron who said he wouldn't resign even if he 'lost' the referendum?

Cheers

Dave
Doesn't matter. When he said that he wouldn't resign he was speaking for himself as a private individual. When he said (in that video) that a vote to leave would mean that we leave and that the referendum would be binding he was speaking for the government and the establishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
So when he said something he meant it

Cheers

Dave
See the above.

You and I both know that he was saying all that about the referendum as a tactic to get us to vote remain and probably to also look sincere however the fact remains that we were told (in no uncertain terms/very clear language) what would happen if we voted leave.
We voted leave.......let's have what was promised.

Last edited by Ramrod; 01-01-2018 at 19:31.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2018, 00:16   #1472
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Sad to read this article, but the comments and analysis from the economists are interesting and worth a read. But beware - there's over a 100 economists interviewed!
Quote:
Economists still gloomy on post-Brexit economy
The majority of economists remain gloomy about Britain’s economic prospects outside the EU, with the recent conclusion of withdrawal negotiations having done little to reassure them that Britain will be able to maintain sufficiently close trade links with the bloc after Brexit.
Two years ago, three-quarters of economists surveyed in the annual FT poll said they thought Brexit would harm Britain’s medium-term economic prospects. A year later, 40 per cent had become even more pessimistic, while almost half had maintained their level of pessimism.
Events during the past year have done little to brighten their outlook. Nearly two-thirds of the 107 respondents who answered the question in this year’s FT poll — which was fielded between 8 and 26 December 2017 — said they felt the same as they did a year before. Less than one-in-five said they felt more optimistic.
https://www.ft.com/content/123dcf90-...7-521324c81e23
Old 02-01-2018, 01:28   #1473
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Farage can/could say what he wants. Fact is that Cameron said this: David Cameron's "Leave means Leave" & "No 2nd Ref" speech
That's what we were promised.
Also, what Farage said does not encapsulate absolutely everyone who voted leave, for anyone to suggest otherwise is simply being naive.

---------- Post added at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What sort of person would suggest that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36306681
That was totally nonsensical to highlight someone such as Farage, who is not in any government/position to dictate and force a vote...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05   #1474
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Also, what Farage said does not encapsulate absolutely everyone who voted leave, for anyone to suggest otherwise is simply being naive.

---------- Post added at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

That was totally nonsensical to highlight someone such as Farage, who is not in any government/position to dictate and force a vote...
Farage/UKIP, and the support they gathered, were the main reason the Referendum happened - they gave more credibility to the Tory Euro-sceptics, and were threatening to tear the Tories apart, so the Referendum was given to placate them, and those who were threatening to support UKIP and Farage (and for most of it’s time, Farage was seen as UKIP).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:42   #1475
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Doesn't matter. When he said that he wouldn't resign he was speaking for himself as a private individual. When he said (in that video) that a vote to leave would mean that we leave and that the referendum would be binding he was speaking for the government and the establishment.
See the above.

You and I both know that he was saying all that about the referendum as a tactic to get us to vote remain and probably to also look sincere however the fact remains that we were told (in no uncertain terms/very clear language) what would happen if we voted leave.
We voted leave.......let's have what was promised.
The sooner the better, i am sick to the back teeth of it all.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 02-01-2018, 12:20   #1476
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
The sooner the better, i am sick to the back teeth of it all.
I think a lot of Brexit supporters are. It isn't that simple after all.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49   #1477
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I want us out and the sooner the better. I am sick to the back teeth because we could just do it and then sort it. At the moment our Elected Mp's are making a meal of it. The public voted and the outcome is known, some like it some hate it but it is happening so we need to just get on with it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 02-01-2018, 18:06   #1478
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I want us out and the sooner the better. I am sick to the back teeth because we could just do it and then sort it. At the moment our Elected Mp's are making a meal of it. The public voted and the outcome is known, some like it some hate it but it is happening so we need to just get on with it.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

All the time we're half out/half in allows the remoaners to frustrate the will of the people.

Those that couldn't be arsed to vote on one of the most important issues of the last 50 odd years simply don't count. You had your chance and you blew it.
Old 02-01-2018, 18:09   #1479
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

One good thing about Brexit is the ‘voting changes nothing’ people where shocked out of it . Far more young people participating and voting now.
Old 02-01-2018, 18:16   #1480
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Farage/UKIP, and the support they gathered, were the main reason the Referendum happened - they gave more credibility to the Tory Euro-sceptics, and were threatening to tear the Tories apart, so the Referendum was given to placate them, and those who were threatening to support UKIP and Farage (and for most of it’s time, Farage was seen as UKIP).
You miss my point.

The EU is a bully, just look what they did or did not do when it came to Catalonia and Spain, Spain went in mob handed and assaulted those people, the EU turned a blind eye, may be said a few words.

Poland stands up to those corrupt imbeciles @ the EU and they start threatening sanctions. I am so frigging glad we are leaving that absolutely detestable gang of EU halfwits.

So to my point, Farage cannot dictate government policy, there has been strong EU skepticism since day one, way before Farage came on the scene. That has grown over the years when millions of people saw with their own eyes how corrupt the EU was/is and then voted accordingly.
Old 02-01-2018, 18:19   #1481
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
One good thing about Brexit is the ‘voting changes nothing’ people where shocked out of it . Far more young people participating and voting now.
Right! The FPTP system didn't encourage people to vote but a referendum with a simple yes/no meant every vote counted and engaged many people.

Maybe there'll be a bit more momentum to try and reform our current system to make it more democratic. Not holding my breath though.
Old 02-01-2018, 19:22   #1482
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Brexiters had better get used to the current situation as we'll being obeying EU legislation and the ECJ until the end of 2020 and possibly beyond. People who believed the empty promises from the likes of David Davis will just have to grin and bear it.
Old 02-01-2018, 19:26   #1483
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You miss my point.

The EU is a bully, just look what they did or did not do when it came to Catalonia and Spain, Spain went in mob handed and assaulted those people, the EU turned a blind eye, may be said a few words.

Poland stands up to those corrupt imbeciles @ the EU and they start threatening sanctions. I am so frigging glad we are leaving that absolutely detestable gang of EU halfwits.
The EU was asked to butt out by the Spanish government and so therefore did nothing. This is much like the Scottish referendum. How is doing nothing bullying?

With Poland, the Polish government wants to put the judiciary under political control which is in contravention of EU law and the European Convention of Human Rights. In addition, the country has been logging illegally and has broken previously agreed positions on migrants. So yes, break international agreements and laws, you can expect a reaction, otherwise why have agreements at all?
Old 02-01-2018, 19:50   #1484
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
The EU was asked to butt out by the Spanish government and so therefore did nothing. This is much like the Scottish referendum. How is doing nothing bullying?

With Poland, the Polish government wants to put the judiciary under political control which is in contravention of EU law and the European Convention of Human Rights. In addition, the country has been logging illegally and has broken previously agreed positions on migrants. So yes, break international agreements and laws, you can expect a reaction, otherwise why have agreements at all?
Churchill was one of the instigators behind the European Convention on Human Rights. Unlike Chamberlain, he was not afraid to confront difficult situations. It's a bitter coincidence that the country (Poland) whose invasion led to the start of World war II should be breaching the Convention now. Well done to the EU for continuing Churchill's good work when evidently, some would prefer it to adopt Chamberlain's approach.
Old 02-01-2018, 20:54   #1485
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Churchill was one of the instigators behind the European Convention on Human Rights. Unlike Chamberlain, he was not afraid to confront difficult situations. It's a bitter coincidence that the country (Poland) whose invasion led to the start of World war II should be breaching the Convention now. Well done to the EU for continuing Churchill's good work when evidently, some would prefer it to adopt Chamberlain's approach.
The writing was led by David Maxwell-Fyffe, the British prosecutor in the Nuremberg trials of course.
Closed Thread