Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 16-10-2012, 12:46   #166
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Noticed BBC Scotland and ESPN split the rights to Belgium Vs. Scotland tomorrow.
No it two deals.

BBC Scotland got the 'Scotland only' rights.
ESPN got the 'UK Wide' rights.

From 2014 all games with Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland PLAYING will be sold via UEFA and not their FA.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2012, 20:14   #167
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Why?
Well if ESPN carry on I shall stick with them and Sky Sports. If they don't there is no incentive for me to pay money to BT for rights that am not that keen on especially the Rugger that was included in XL pack with ESPN.

Severely doubt VM will be allowed to include BT in XL pack they will want a tenner a month or more.....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 21:55   #168
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I see. The way you wrote it I thought you had a specific problem with Bt. I agree, I like ESPN free on Virgin, but if the replacement costs I'm not likely to pay for it.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 00:16   #169
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
No it two deals.

BBC Scotland got the 'Scotland only' rights.
ESPN got the 'UK Wide' rights.

From 2014 all games with Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland PLAYING will be sold via UEFA and not their FA.
Interesting. I wonder what happens in 2014 if Scotland goes independent? Will STV pick up Scotland only rights to the English Premiership which SKY and BT retain UK wide rights?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 06:39   #170
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder what happens in 2014 if Scotland goes independent? Will STV pick up Scotland only rights to the English Premiership which SKY and BT retain UK wide rights?
Best to think about that...if or when it happens
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 07:34   #171
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I don't think Scotland will secede in 2014, even if the out campaign win the referendum in that year there will be so many points to negotiate that full political independence will still be years away. In short, this issue will either be resolved in 2014 in favour of the status quo, or will go past the end of the current Sky/Bt rights deal by some distance.

That said, both companies will presumably continue to operate in an independent Scotland, so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to enjoy exclusive Premier League rights.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 07:43   #172
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Best to think about that...if or when it happens
Well Colin thats one thing that won't happen and we all know that.
Old 17-10-2012, 12:12   #173
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I don't think Scotland will secede in 2014, even if the out campaign win the referendum in that year there will be so many points to negotiate that full political independence will still be years away. In short, this issue will either be resolved in 2014 in favour of the status quo, or will go past the end of the current Sky/Bt rights deal by some distance.

That said, both companies will presumably continue to operate in an independent Scotland, so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to enjoy exclusive Premier League rights.
Agreed non of my friends in Scotland want Independence.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:44   #174
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well Colin thats one thing that won't happen and we all know that.
note the "if"
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:07   #175
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
note the "if"
Yes ifs , buts and maybe's.
Old 17-10-2012, 21:07   #176
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes ifs , buts and maybe's.
And a partridge in a pear tree...
Old 18-10-2012, 13:42   #177
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Simon Green, the chief executive of the Boxnation boxing channel backed by Frank Warren, will be leaving Boxnation to join BT as the head of their new BT Sport pay-TV channel.

Simon Green has previously worked for SKY as General Manger of sports ventures, FOX as head of FOX Sports World and Setanta sports as Head of UK channels.

What you'll find is Simon Green will try and bring the likes of boxing, UFC, golf and more football to BT Sport. I have a feeling that the rumoured purchase of sporting rights from ESPN might be on the cards for BT Sports.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...el?INTCMP=SRCH
Old 18-10-2012, 13:47   #178
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I have just read this on NFLUK thought the American sports fans would be interested.
http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?...92&postcount=1
Old 18-10-2012, 13:57   #179
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I have just read this on NFLUK thought the American sports fans would be interested.
http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?...92&postcount=1
That is interesting.

Prior to ESPN UK launching, wasn't ESPN America a stand alone channel costing between £8 to £10 each month anyway.

If ESPN UK closes, and ESPN America stays, I'm guessing it'll drop out of XL and will return to being a stand alone premium channel. ESPN America HD launched over 2 years ago and Virgin never went after it. It makes you question how much Virgin actually values the channel.

Good news for ESPN America fans is if it does drop out of XL, and becomes a premium channel again, the chances of getting ESPN America HD as part of your monthly subscription will no doubt increase drastically.
Old 18-10-2012, 14:12   #180
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
That is interesting.

Prior to ESPN UK launching, wasn't ESPN America a stand alone channel costing between £8 to £10 each month anyway.

If ESPN UK closes, and ESPN America stays, I'm guessing it'll drop out of XL and will return to being a stand alone premium channel. ESPN America HD launched over 2 years ago and Virgin never went after it. It makes you question how much Virgin actually values the channel.

Good news for ESPN America fans is if it does drop out of XL, and becomes a premium channel again, the chances of getting ESPN America HD as part of your monthly subscription will no doubt increase drastically.
It started as NASN at £10 a month. ESPN then took it over and improved the picture quality dramatically. However, in those days they had NHL. For me the loss of NHL is a major thing that will probably stop me from signing up to a stand alone pay channel. They will not be getting it back any time soon as Premier Sports signed I believe a three year deal in the summer.