Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do TV and films get wrong about shows?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

What do TV and films get wrong about shows?

Old 15-01-2015, 11:42   #1
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
What do TV and films get wrong about shows?

The BBC has an interesting article where they talk to people in various jobs about what the media get wrong when they feature jobs..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-maga...nitor-30817309

So, what jobs have you noticed that the media just gets wrong?

I've noticed they frequently get the job of System Admin wrong. System Admins (on TV at least) seem to be experts on everything to do with computing from the basics to the real low level stuff. They are also frequently hackers and can be experts on anything from system backdoors through to bomb disposal.

Now, I know a few, as well as being one myself, and while we are often experts on our own field, and may also be good hackers, we are not experts on everything. I dare say show one of us a bomb, and we'd be running, not googling how to diffuse it. Of course, googling to diffuse it probably wouldn't help anyway as bombs are not exactly mass produced consumer items.

Another bug bear is TV pathologists. They seem to be routinely experts on every aspect of medicine, and have access to state of the art equipment. I cite "Bones" as an example of this. I've read a few of the books "Bones" is based on. They are about a middle-aged single woman, who is slightly awkward around people, who just happens to be a top pathologist and works in a tiny, cramped lab in the basement of a University with equipment that can optimistically be described as old. Kathy Reichs was a top pathologist when she wrote the books, so I'd be inclined to believe they are at least slightly accurate.

In the TV series, she is middle aged, single (for a while) and slightly awkward around people, but she's been given a team, and works in a state of the art FBI lab with holographic displays (which do not even exist yet).

Don't get me wrong, I can understand with some jobs why they change aspects, because some jobs are complicated and to show them perfectly accurately may well bore the audience, but I do like them to at least try and get things right.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2015, 11:56   #2
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era
Re: What do TV and films get wrong about shows?

I follow a guy on twitter called " Inappropriategavels" and he gets annoyed that court dramas always have a judge using one, when in fact he points out that theyve never used them. I never noticed until he pointed it out.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 12:00   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

CSI's who attend scenes without covering up.
Old 15-01-2015, 16:02   #4
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

Same guy has now said that in the new Broadchurch series, the judge is wearing a barristers wig and not a judges wig. lol
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:07   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Waterloo Road and Teachers are nothing like any school I've taught in.
Old 15-01-2015, 17:17   #6
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Bad Education?

:p

Anyway, watching Criminal Minds, while fun, is probably nothing like reality, as are any "realistic" drama. Hell, if Casualty was like real life, we're all screwed.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:10   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

In every tv cop drama there's a Scottish officer, regardless of where in the UK it's based.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 20:35   #8
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

anything with a computer in it. especially so if it involves 'hackers' or 'cybercrime prevention' type teams - like this
Old 15-01-2015, 21:59   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Low res / crap quality camera footage that can be zoomed in to provide super-sharp high quality close ups of whatever detail is needed.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 23:54   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Bad Education?

:p

Anyway, watching Criminal Minds, while fun, is probably nothing like reality, as are any "realistic" drama. Hell, if Casualty was like real life, we're all screwed.
I just don't see staff behaving like that..
Old 16-01-2015, 03:29   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
No usually TV shows are not like reality at all even though alot often BECOME REALITY.... (Movies mostly)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 07:54   #12
Stop It
Inactive

Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I just don't see staff behaving like that..
I know, I was playing (And hopefully you knew I was referring to the TV show, not your standards of teaching at where you worked!).

To be fair, if TV portrayed professions correctly in drama series, they would be horrifically dull affairs most of the time.
Old 16-01-2015, 09:08   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
I know, I was playing (And hopefully you knew I was referring to the TV show, not your standards of teaching at where you worked!).

To be fair, if TV portrayed professions correctly in drama series, they would be horrifically dull affairs most of the time.
Old 16-01-2015, 09:44   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Any police procedural you could name. They all result in a local spike in the homicide rate that would be a national scandal in real life.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 10:11   #15
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Any police procedural you could name. They all result in a local spike in the homicide rate that would be a national scandal in real life.
Yeah, Midsomer Murders comes to mind. If such a place existed, I think everyone would move out for fear of being next.