Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear problems

Old 16-11-2005, 12:29   #1
Nick911E
Inactive

Nick911E is an unknown quantity at this point
Netgear problems

Hi,

Recently, we lost the Netgear wireless USB for our Laptops, and got a replacement sent, which was a Laptop card. We now have a new PC, so we bought the Cable and Wireless USB, after being reasured it will work the same as the Netgear model, and £30 cheaper.

After installing it, it doesn't find the Access point or the network, it just says: acquiring network address, then after about 3 mins says limited or no conectivity. I tried the laptop card on the Laptop and the internet works fine on the laptop. I took the Access point and USB into my Computing class into my Computing teacher and he managed to get it working on his laptop, so i copied the settings he had, and tried it on my pc where it never worked again. So obviosly the Access Point and USB are working fine, but i don't know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Nick911E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2005, 16:50   #2
CableGuy
Inactive

CableGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Netgear problems

As long as the security setting for the usb adapter match those found under netgear access point then it should really work, as wireless networks can use any manufacturer, and not limited to a specific brand.

Ensure SSID is correct and uppercase, Encryption set at 128bit and Passphrase is entered in UPPERCASE.

Ps just to confirm the TW wireless only works on one pc and gives one ip do you have the other laptops still connected in any way - If you do you would need to get a wireless router to allow a shared connection which is something most ISP's will not supply.
CableGuy is offline   Reply With Quote