Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Something is downloading

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Something is downloading

Old 04-01-2019, 21:14   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Something is downloading

I had all programs off and opened Task Manager. I saw that it was showing slow downloads amounting to about 100kbytes per minute (144Mbytes per day).

I checked for any running programs that might be doing it, but nothing looks like it would or should.

Antivirus, Rootkit and Antispyware programs find nothing.

Any ideas?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2019, 21:17   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Something is downloading

Windows update? They cause most pc issues !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 21:35   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It could be any of your software updating, browsers, Antivirus, Firewall, windows update etc
Old 04-01-2019, 21:49   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Windows update? They cause most pc issues !
No updates for Vista, and I've blocked them a long time ago.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It could be any of your software updating, browsers, Antivirus, Firewall, windows update etc
Cheers, I'm working through them to find the culprit.

Hmm.. it's svchost.exe (local service) connected to 239.255.255.250...
Old 04-01-2019, 22:13   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
No updates for Vista, and I've blocked them a long time ago.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Cheers, I'm working through them to find the culprit.

That means it can be any service or programme that uses a DLL file.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 22:16   #6
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
that's likely the old NETbios requests. newer systems will use DNS only.

In order to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP you need to;
  1. go to Network and Sharing Center
  2. change adapter settings
  3. right click on your network interface you are seeing the IP address broadcast on and select Properties
  4. Click on the ipv4 and then the properties button
  5. Click Advanced
  6. Go to the wins tab and disable tcp over netbios

it's only used by the much older Operating Systems, so is unlikely to cause you any issues by disabling it. You can always re-enable if need be. See if it stops the appearance of the traffic. If not, get Wireshark installed and get some logs started.

Last edited by idi banashapan; 04-01-2019 at 22:22.
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:42   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple...overy_Protocol

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:03   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
that's likely the old NETbios requests. newer systems will use DNS only.

In order to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP you need to;
  1. go to Network and Sharing Center
  2. change adapter settings
  3. right click on your network interface you are seeing the IP address broadcast on and select Properties
  4. Click on the ipv4 and then the properties button
  5. Click Advanced
  6. Go to the wins tab and disable tcp over netbios

it's only used by the much older Operating Systems, so is unlikely to cause you any issues by disabling it. You can always re-enable if need be. See if it stops the appearance of the traffic. If not, get Wireshark installed and get some logs started.
I've now done that, but it's still happening. And Wireshark says I can only use ver2.2 for Vista. I downloaded the zip from their archive and all it contains are *.lib and *.pdb files, but no exe.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Its SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple...overy_Protocol
That was all greek to me, but now I'm worried of ddos!
Old 05-01-2019, 15:09   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I've now done that, but it's still happening. And Wireshark says I can only use ver2.2 for Vista. I downloaded the zip from their archive and all it contains are *.lib and *.pdb files, but no exe.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

exe files available here.

32 bit

https://www.filepuma.com/download/wi...t_2.2.1-12876/

64bit

https://www.filepuma.com/download/wi...t_2.2.1-12877/
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Um.. why

Old 06-01-2019, 13:45   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Um.. why
From your link....

Quote:
In 2014 it was discovered that SSDP was being used in DDoS attacks
Old 06-01-2019, 16:54   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Lots of things are used for DDOS, if you start to worry about them all, you would not use the internet.