Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 17-08-2019, 16:24   #181
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
Hi Synthetic, is this what you were asking for?
Can you remind me where this is?
I've had a look and under admin/info there's nothing.
I've just moved across to the ultimate ooomph so I want to check to see when the 500 kicks in
thanks
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2019, 16:31   #182
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from spankysmagicpian:
Can you remind me where this is?
I've had a look and under admin/info there's nothing.
I've just moved across to the ultimate ooomph so I want to check to see when the 500 kicks in
thanks
On the sign in page of your hub under router status top right.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:37   #183
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Tools/Network Status/Configuration.
Old 18-08-2019, 12:10   #184
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

We just got back from a 2-week holiday in Keffalania. I'm so impressed with the unlimited mobile data sim element of the 500Mb Ooomph package.

As expected, our WiFi access was typically limited for a location on Keffalania, but we had excellent 4G over the whole Island, unless we were in a cave or below a cliff with no view of the 4G transmitters. Download speed was up to 50Mb and never below 20Mb. Upstream was between 5Mb and 12Mb. The connection in speed tests appeared to be routed to VM in the UK. Does this explain why my access to bandwidth was so good?

The best bit was the unlimited data feature. I set my Galaxy S10+ to be a mobile hotspot. This was accessed by my wife's phone, our 18-year old twins' phones and a laptop. Data usage throughout the holiday was 187.2Gb, due mostly to photo transfers and the twins steaming video, via Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. Fantastic! Not a penny to pay and no breaks in service as we travelled around the island. The only drawback was that my phone needed to be near the twins or there was hell to pay!

We're crossing fingers that our data roaming rights throughout the EU do not cease after midnight 31st October!
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 14:20   #185
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
We just got back from a 2-week holiday in Keffalania. I'm so impressed with the unlimited mobile data sim element of the 500Mb Ooomph package.

As expected, our WiFi access was typically limited for a location on Keffalania, but we had excellent 4G over the whole Island, unless we were in a cave or below a cliff with no view of the 4G transmitters. Download speed was up to 50Mb and never below 20Mb. Upstream was between 5Mb and 12Mb. The connection in speed tests appeared to be routed to VM in the UK. Does this explain why my access to bandwidth was so good?

The best bit was the unlimited data feature. I set my Galaxy S10+ to be a mobile hotspot. This was accessed by my wife's phone, our 18-year old twins' phones and a laptop. Data usage throughout the holiday was 187.2Gb, due mostly to photo transfers and the twins steaming video, via Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. Fantastic! Not a penny to pay and no breaks in service as we travelled around the island. The only drawback was that my phone needed to be near the twins or there was hell to pay!

We're crossing fingers that our data roaming rights throughout the EU do not cease after midnight 31st October!
I'm sure you're only supposed to use around 11Gb while roaming. Something to do with fair usage.

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

You use £27 for the unlimited sim I believe, giving you 11.60GB to use. I'd check your bill.

Last edited by Mythica; 18-08-2019 at 14:24.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 14:44   #186
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Data usage throughout the holiday was 187.2Gb, due mostly to photo transfers and the twins steaming video, via Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. Fantastic! Not a penny to pay
I think you may be in for a bit of a shock.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 16:18   #187
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

He maybe ok if he hasn't disabled his cap, but there is no way i would have risked using my data abroad like that!!! Maybe a shocking bill coming.

Quote:
Roaming
When travelling abroad we will text you information on the costs for the
country in which you are roaming upon arrival.
To help you stay in control of your data usage whilst roaming we have set
up a £51.50 per month data spend cap. You can remove the cap if you wish
to continue data use by texting ‘No’ to 23457.
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...ide-280619.pdf
Old 18-08-2019, 17:26   #188
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I'm sure you're only supposed to use around 11Gb while roaming. Something to do with fair usage.

You use £27 for the unlimited sim I believe, giving you 11.60GB to use. I'd check your bill.
I already checked. No charges, either on a daily basis or for the whole period from 1st August to 15th August whilst we were away.

Here's a snapshot from a typical day whilst in Keffalonia. I make that over 11Gb just for that part of one day.

internet usage.jpg

Now multiply that up by 14 whole days! My billing cycle ends on 12th August. There is no charge for data for the month until that date. No charges accrued since then. Is it not possible that unlimited SIM actually means unlimited SIM?

Last edited by roughbeast; 18-08-2019 at 17:33.
Old 18-08-2019, 17:32   #189
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I already checked. No charges, either on a daily basis or for the whole period from 1st August to 15th August whilst we were away.

Here's a snapshot from a typical day whilst in Keffalonia.

Attachment 28001

Now multiply that up by 14 whole days! My billing cycle ends on 12th August. There is no charge for data for the month until that date. No charges accrued since then. Is it not possible that unlimited SIM actually means unlimited SIM?
I'm no expert on this, someone who works for Virgin should be able to clarify but it isn't unlimited for roaming.
Old 18-08-2019, 18:00   #190
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm no expert on this, someone who works for Virgin should be able to clarify but it isn't unlimited for roaming.
Given that Keffalania is in Greece and that Greece is in the EU and is therefore one of those countries where you can "Roam like Home" then it appears to be genuinely unlimited. I can use unlimited data at home, so can use unlimited data anywhere in the EU. Normal data costs and limits don't apply.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-roaming-costs
Old 18-08-2019, 18:06   #191
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

According to that document it's £4.65 per GB above the 14.18 GB fair use.
I remember the last time I was abroad, I didn't get my bill for the roaming (before they had 'free' EU roaming) until the month after as they have to confirm the data usage with the foreign provider.

If that's the case.... <gulp>

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Tools/Network Status/Configuration.
Thanks Snoopz and heero_yuy.

Found it now, config has been updated but yes, you've guessed it, it's actually no better of slower than my original M350. Oh well, I'm now paying less than I was before so can't complain.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 18:07   #192
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Given that Keffalania is in Greece and that Greece is in the EU and is therefore one of those countries where you can "Roam like Home" then it appears to be genuinely unlimited. I can use unlimited data at home, so can use unlimited data anywhere in the EU. Normal data costs and limits don't apply.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-roaming-costs
Fair usage policy applies, it's not unlimited while roaming. The calculation was at £27pm (how much the unlimited sim cost) worked out at you can use 11.60GB while roaming.
Old 18-08-2019, 18:28   #193
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
According to that document it's £4.65 per GB above the 14.18 GB fair use.
I remember the last time I was abroad, I didn't get my bill for the roaming (before they had 'free' EU roaming) until the month after as they have to confirm the data usage with the foreign provider.

If that's the case.... <gulp>
Was your SIM unlimited as in those you get with the Oomph deal?

Quote:
Fair usage policy applies, it's not unlimited while roaming. The calculation was at £27pm (how much the unlimited sim cost) worked out at you can use 11.60GB while roaming.
At home I roam with unlimited Sim data. In Greece I roamed like at home, like it says on the tin. I checked the fair use policy. It says nothing about unlimited SIM cards.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf

Last edited by roughbeast; 18-08-2019 at 18:34.
Old 18-08-2019, 18:53   #194
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Was your SIM unlimited as in those you get with the Oomph deal?

At home I roam with unlimited Sim data. In Greece I roamed like at home, like it says on the tin. I checked the fair use policy. It says nothing about unlimited SIM cards.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf
I've already linked this to you, I'm trying to help, if you don't want to listen then that's up to you.

Old 18-08-2019, 19:12   #195
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've already linked this to you, I'm trying to help, if you don't want to listen then that's up to you.

That was my first port of call! I listened. It doesn't apply in a sensible way.

I entered my details. My fair use amount is 0Mb. As I keep saying I have an unlimited SIM. My Virgin Mobile plan costs £0.00. It is subsumed within the cost of my Oomph package. That nominal £27.00 you suggested I apply doesn't work if there is an "I have Unlimited Data" box to check.

fair use.jpg

bill.jpg