Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

Old 10-05-2019, 13:04   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

According to @UKDTT and @RXTVlog there are some Freeview changes on the way on the 13th May. Best to retune after 11am supposedly.

Apparently there are on-screen messages on the relevant C4 channels. I say apparently as though they have provided photos I've tried 3 separate TVs and not got any messages. So the messaging is regional so far it seems.

E4 moves from 28 to 13

Film4 from ch 15 to 14

Ch4+1 from ch 13 to 15

More4 from ch 14 to 18

E4+1 from ch 29 to 28

4Music from ch 18 to 29.

Apparently now C4 now fully own 4Music they've decided to use its lower number. I always thought E4 was daft so far up the guide, but they didn't have another number previously so fair enough.

I don't understand moving More4 up, I would have put the +1s in 28/29.

-------------
The other changes are mostly courtesy of Sony's channels on the Local Multiplex.

Movies4men moves from 48 to 40. It isn't on the Local Multiplex but is taking the number from a sister channel that is.

Sony Crime Channel+1 becomes Movies4men+1. It also moves from 60 to 48. I'm assuming it is also getting extended hours (compared to SCC+1) due to the changes mentioned below.

Sony Crime Channel moves from 40 to 60 and reduces hours significantly. It will now only broadcast from 4am until 6am.

Pop Max broadcast hours on the other hand are increasing. It was 6am-9pm and will now be 6am until 4am. It must be moving to timeshare with the reduced SCC, or SCC is moving to timeshare with it.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 10-05-2019 at 13:17.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2019, 01:33   #2
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

I actually saw a retune instruction for myself earlier. I had been expecting it as a pop-up message, but this was part of the broadcast and was unexpected as I was watching Cable not Freeview when I saw it. In fact it was a recording from Thursday. It didn't mention any channel number changes, it simply said Freeview viewers should retune on Monday 13th in text, with an accompanying voiceover.

Those who posted the photo were talking about that though, they were referring to a pop-up message, a blurry version of which was shown in the photo they posted. So C4 are going for a multi-pronged approach.
Old 12-05-2019, 19:11   #3
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
According to @UKDTT and @RXTVlog there are some Freeview changes on the way on the 13th May. Best to retune after 11am supposedly.

Apparently there are on-screen messages on the relevant C4 channels. I say apparently as though they have provided photos I've tried 3 separate TVs and not got any messages. So the messaging is regional so far it seems.

E4 moves from 28 to 13

Film4 from ch 15 to 14

Ch4+1 from ch 13 to 15

More4 from ch 14 to 18

E4+1 from ch 29 to 28

4Music from ch 18 to 29.

Apparently now C4 now fully own 4Music they've decided to use its lower number. I always thought E4 was daft so far up the guide, but they didn't have another number previously so fair enough.

I don't understand moving More4 up, I would have put the +1s in 28/29.

-------------
The other changes are mostly courtesy of Sony's channels on the Local Multiplex.

Movies4men moves from 48 to 40. It isn't on the Local Multiplex but is taking the number from a sister channel that is.

Sony Crime Channel+1 becomes Movies4men+1. It also moves from 60 to 48. I'm assuming it is also getting extended hours (compared to SCC+1) due to the changes mentioned below.

Sony Crime Channel moves from 40 to 60 and reduces hours significantly. It will now only broadcast from 4am until 6am.

Pop Max broadcast hours on the other hand are increasing. It was 6am-9pm and will now be 6am until 4am. It must be moving to timeshare with the reduced SCC, or SCC is moving to timeshare with it.
Sony Crime Channel +1 is timeshare with Pop Max right now.

So it look like Sony are moving Sony Crime to share with Pop Max.

An 24 hour channel will be free on the local mux (For Movies4Men +1?)
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 20:27   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sony Crime Channel +1 is timeshare with Pop Max right now.

So it look like Sony are moving Sony Crime to share with Pop Max.

An 24 hour channel will be free on the local mux (For Movies4Men +1?)
Apparently Sony only show Teleshopping on their Crime Channel at the Freeview new hours, which is similar to other placeholder channels (e.g. ITV4+1) on Freeview. It will be getting deleted in this house for now.

I only ever watched it on VM connected TV, so it's no loss to me. Feel sorry to others who don't have alternative though.
Old 06-06-2019, 00:54   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Not been able to confirm this yet but there are reports by some on Twitter that from Monday Dave moves to channel 19 and Yesterday moves to 12 in the EPG.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:04   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

That will be due to the divorce settlement between Discovery and the BBC.

Discovery wanted some of the better EPG slots.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:47   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That will be due to the divorce settlement between Discovery and the BBC.

Discovery wanted some of the better EPG slots.
Yeah, but these two channels are both going to be the BBC's after the deal, so the reasoning is less obvious.
Old 06-06-2019, 14:35   #8
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Confirm so far (on Dave and Yesterday)

Dave moves to Channel 19 on Monday
Yesterday moves to Channel 25 on Monday
Home* moves to Channel TBC on Monday

*No idea on what will happen to Channel 12 and Home at time of posting.

Source: UKTV ads on Dave and Yesterday.
Old 06-06-2019, 14:49   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Confirm so far (on Dave and Yesterday)

Dave moves to Channel 19 on Monday
Yesterday moves to Channel 25 on Monday
Home* moves to Channel TBC on Monday

*No idea on what will happen to Channel 12 and Home at time of posting.

Source: UKTV ads on Dave and Yesterday.
That Yesterday part of what I read late last night made no sense. This does as it seems to confirm the speculation. And that's the first with a proper source, the other folk on Twitter weren't clear where they'd seen it...and weren't wholey accurate on the Yesterday front.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2019, 15:41   #10
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
That Yesterday part of what I read late last night made no sense. This does as it seems to confirm the speculation. And that's the first with a proper source, the other folk on Twitter weren't clear where they'd seen it...and weren't wholey accurate on the Yesterday front.

Thanks.
Your
Old 06-06-2019, 17:22   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I've since seen an advertisement on Yesterday myself and a tweet from them confirming both it and Dave's move.
Old 07-06-2019, 13:47   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Seems Home is going to channel 12 on Monday, at least until the ownership of the slot passes to Discovery.

The reports it is ultimately for Quest make sense given the sports coverage and supposed use as part of Discovery's Olympic coverage in the future. I don't think the change to Quest would happen straight away though as they wouldn't want to annoy viewers with yet another Home change so soon.

BARB Ratings have Quest as 0.78 rating for April and Home a 0.34 so you'd imagine they would swap them eventually.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 07-06-2019 at 13:54.
Old 12-06-2019, 15:08   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

More channels moving number today on Freeview. This time it's Discovery's turn following the UKTV split deal going through.

Home, which only moved from 25 to 12 on Monday, is now moving to 42.
DMAX is moving from 42 to 37.
Quest is moving from 37 to 12, as predicted.
Old 12-06-2019, 15:21   #14
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
More channels moving number today on Freeview. This time it's Discovery's turn following the UKTV split deal going through.

Home, which only moved from 25 to 12 on Monday, is now moving to 42.
DMAX is moving from 42 to 37.
Quest is moving from 37 to 12, as predicted.
Look like Home will be axe in the coming months. Due to Discovery not moving Really from Channel 17.
Old 12-06-2019, 15:50   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Look like Home will be axe in the coming months. Due to Discovery not moving Really from Channel 17.
Why would Discovery move their new acquisition Really? Out of its new portfolio lineup it's the 2nd highest rated and therefore it keeping the 2nd highest Discovery-owned Freeview EPG position makes perfect sense.

May's BARB ratings figures have just come out Quest 0.73, Really 0.67, Quest Red 0.50, DMAX 0.40, Home 0.29, Food Network 0.22

And I don't know know why Home would be axed, it's not that similar. The only other FTA of theirs, Travel Channel, they recently removed from Freeview, and its ratings at the time it was still on Freeview weren't much different than Home's in May.

Discovery will probably keep the portfolio as it is for 6 months to a year, assess them and then make a decision on the future of all their channels.