Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 16-07-2021, 16:55   #871
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Crikey, that's an awful lot of things (but nowhere near completely exhaustive) showing just how careful we have to be when communicating over the internet.

I'm now pretty sure that I've been bullied on many occasions, however proving it was bullying - instead of humerous banter which it used to be - is no doubt going to be a problem.

Physical abuse is also something I suffered a few times at school, but I guess I can't do anything about that as it was before 'the cane' was outlawed deemed to be inapropriate . . much the same as the clip around the ear I had from the villiage bobby a few times.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, I'll just have to learn to live with it.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2021, 17:05   #872
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Crikey, that's an awful lot of things (but nowhere near completely exhaustive) showing just how careful we have to be when communicating over the internet.

I'm now pretty sure that I've been bullied on many occasions, however proving it was bullying - instead of humerous banter which it used to be - is no doubt going to be a problem.

Physical abuse is also something I suffered a few times at school, but I guess I can't do anything about that as it was before 'the cane' was outlawed deemed to be inapropriate . . much the same as the clip around the ear I had from the villiage bobby a few times.

Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, I'll just have to learn to live with it.
Sometimes a claim of banter is made in an attempt to try and get away with bullying. The best person to ask which it actually is (whether meant as a joke or otherwise) is the recipient themselves as it is they who get to decide.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 17:19   #873
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sometimes a claim of banter is made in an attempt to try and get away with bullying. The best person to ask which it actually is (whether meant as a joke or otherwise) is the recipient themselves as it is they who get to decide.
Yes I think I understand that, however my 60+ years experience has shown me that one persons joke is another persons slur, and in this day and age (online) it's especially difficult to identify and cater for your 'target audience' to ensure the joke (or humerous aside) isn't taken the wrong way.

There are thousands (well maybe not) of recent examples where people are apologising profusely because they didn't fully evaluate the target audience (the public in many cases).

I often have trouble because I'm an old fuddy duddy set in his ways, and find it difficult to adapt to the new rules and things being rolled out every week or so . . I even now have to convert metric measurements into imperial so I understand how big or small something is . . if you over estimate a delivery of wet concrete you're in trouble
Old 16-07-2021, 19:22   #874
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes I think I understand that, however my 60+ years experience has shown me that one persons joke is another persons slur, and in this day and age (online) it's especially difficult to identify and cater for your 'target audience' to ensure the joke (or humerous aside) isn't taken the wrong way.

There are thousands (well maybe not) of recent examples where people are apologising profusely because they didn't fully evaluate the target audience (the public in many cases).

I often have trouble because I'm an old fuddy duddy set in his ways, and find it difficult to adapt to the new rules and things being rolled out every week or so . . I even now have to convert metric measurements into imperial so I understand how big or small something is . . if you over estimate a delivery of wet concrete you're in trouble
True. I know of a guy who is loosing his hair and is the first to make a joke out of it and has no problem with receiving jokes about it either.

Another is extremely embarrassed & self conscious about it and would be mortified & deeply upset if the same things were said to him. It's often the case that it's not what you say, but who it's said to, what is meant by it and how it's said.

It's probably better to get to know someone first before making a joke about something that could be taken as a personal slur and to take note if a genuine joke is taken the wrong way.
Old 16-07-2021, 19:42   #875
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Im not reading the whole thing, but this caught my eye, and shows just how clueless they are ;

Quote:
If you post abuse about anyone else online or if you send threats, you can be traced by the police without any difficulty. Every time you visit a website or make a posting, your internet service provider, Sky, BT or Virgin, has an electronic note of your activity. Even if create an anonymous email address like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo, you can still be traced.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 20:01   #876
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Im not reading the whole thing, but this caught my eye, and shows just how clueless they are ;
As you can see Paul as you would have access to the ip details of anyone who posts here i would expect you will see i am presently posting from the USA, however tomorrow i might be in Egypt or France or even Morocco. You know who my provider is so you know that this is not my real IP. My point here is to demonstrate that if i was so inclined to post something wrong the police would not be able to find my details as the VPN provider does NOT keep the details of user IP's.

If you have a GOOD VPN then you could post what you want and they would find it almost impossible to trace you if they are behind a good VPN.

Note i don't post crap on the internet as it is not my way. However i use a vpn because i cannot stand the snooping that goes on.

The ISP's and i work for one so i have a good idea of how it works and you know what i do for them, are not allowed to read what's in the packets of your internet traffic if you are using HTTPS, this is why Phorm was never allowed to run there service over here as some classed it as a man in the middle attack. They will have my IP but any posts on forums or social media will record the IP give by the VPN .

for those that do not know who or what Phorm was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm

TLDR

When you route your internet traffic through a VPN, your ISP is no longer able to track the specifics of your browsing. It only sees that you are exchanging packages with the VPN server. Think of it like using a neighbor to send your mail. Everything you send out is addressed to them. They send it on. The mail carrier only deals with the delivery to the neighbors. Then, when a package returns, the carrier takes it to a neighbor without knowing it will continue on to your door. With a VPN, your ISP has no clue if you’re visiting Facebook, a banking site, Netflix, your competitor’s sites, gaming sites, etc.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 16-07-2021 at 20:17.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 20:10   #877
Carth
cf.mega poster

I guess using TOR is the same thing, re-routes the traffic
Old 16-07-2021, 20:28   #878
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
I guess using TOR is the same thing, re-routes the traffic
Not sure, i was told that using TOR marks you as someone to watch. I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick over that however

I do know that there are more and more people deciding to use a vpn.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 16-07-2021 at 20:40.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 21:30   #879
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Not sure, i was told that using TOR marks you as someone to watch. I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick over that however

I do know that there are more and more people deciding to use a vpn.
Yeah, I believe that TOR, due to it's 'reputation' is quite closely monitored by certain agencies looking for those using inroads to the naughty side of the internet, however I know quite a few people that use it as their default browser because of it's privacy/non tracking features . . which are probably now no better than some other mainstream browsers, or in fact a half decent free VPN.
Old 16-07-2021, 21:51   #880
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yeah, I believe that TOR, due to it's 'reputation' is quite closely monitored by certain agencies looking for those using inroads to the naughty side of the internet, however I know quite a few people that use it as their default browser because of it's privacy/non tracking features . . which are probably now no better than some other mainstream browsers, or in fact a half decent free VPN.
The best free VPN although limited to 10Gb/month. Choice of 10 countries and no records kept.

https://windscribe.com/features/use-for-free

Paid options here.

https://windscribe.com/upgrade
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 23:23   #881
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
As you can see Paul as you would have access to the ip details of anyone who posts here i would expect you will see i am presently posting from the USA
Virginia, US to be more exact, I hope the weather is nice.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:51   #882
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
The very worst person actually.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 18:02   #883
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The very worst person actually.
I disagree Russ. If someone makes a personal joke with no malicious intent, but the recipient finds it offensive, it's better for the person who made the remark to have it drawn to their intention (in a right manner) so that they know not to do it again. If they went on to do it again regardless, this would clearly show that the intent was in fact malicious.

This could have legal implications should this be aimed at someone in a 'protected group', though legislation is in force to also protect those who aren't as well.
Old 17-07-2021, 18:13   #884
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

It needs to be by someone independent, objective and not emotionally involved. They are best places to decide whether or not a joke is “personal” and with malicious intent

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 18:16   #885
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I disagree Russ. If someone makes a personal joke with no malicious intent, but the recipient finds it offensive, it's better for the person who made the remark to have it drawn to their intention (in a right manner) so that they know not to do it again. If they went on to do it again regardless, this would clearly show that the intent was in fact malicious.

This could have legal implications should this be aimed at someone in a 'protected group', though legislation is in force to also protect those who aren't as well.
What legislation protects someone from a joke?