Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All-in-One Computers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All-in-One Computers

Old 30-11-2018, 21:42   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All-in-One Computers

Basically an all in one is a laptop in a different format.

But whenever you buy a new PC it has Windows installed up to the point of personal configuration. So you set up the users and your personal preferences.

With Windows 10 one of the first things it asks for is your WiFi details if it's not connected via a wired connection. This is so it can activate and start updating itself.

If you don't have any network connection then you can still activate over the phone, but that's extremely unlikely in 2018!

Last edited by BenMcr; 30-11-2018 at 21:45.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2018, 22:24   #17
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Basically an all in one is a laptop in a different format.

But whenever you buy a new PC it has Windows installed up to the point of personal configuration. So you set up the users and your personal preferences.

With Windows 10 one of the first things it asks for is your WiFi details if it's not connected via a wired connection. This is so it can activate and start updating itself.

If you don't have any network connection then you can still activate over the phone, but that's extremely unlikely in 2018!
Thank you again Ben for some excellent advice.
My "modem" is shown in the image - I believe it is called a Superhub 1.
I understand it is a WiFi modem - please confirm - and it will give the appropriate signal to the all-in-one PC located about 4 -5 feet away. All the details are on the side sticker.

beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, it's a WiFi router.

But if the two are that close I'd still recommended a wired connection if you can. Wireless won't be an issue normally, however wired is generally always better where you can and for connected devices that don't move.

This is because wireless connections can be subject to interference and other issues like any radio signal. A wired connection will be more stable.

Your new computer has an Ethernet socket on it so does support a wired connection.

Last edited by BenMcr; 01-12-2018 at 08:55.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:16   #19
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, it's a WiFi router.

But if the two are that close I'd still recommended a wired connection if you can. Wireless won't be an issue normally, however wired is generally always better where you can and for connected devices that don't move.

This is because wireless connections can be subject to interference and other issues like any radio signal. A wired connection will be more stable.

Your new computer has an Ethernet socket on it so does support a wired connection.
Ben,
You have given me all the information I need to buy the new set and I am so grateful.

My intention is to locate my new set near my existing XP set so that I can take all the time I like in transferring over all the XP data I possibly can and when all done, clear my XP hard drive and dump it. I can then connect up my new set to the existing Superhub router's Ethernet cable by USB as my only PC
No problems there Ben ?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

No that won't be any issue.

But remember you don't need any adapters for the Ethernet cable in your new PC. If you are using a USB adapter on your existing computer, remove it from the Ethernet cable before plugging that into your new PC.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57   #21
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
No that won't be any issue.

But remember you don't need any adapters for the Ethernet cable in your new PC. If you are using a USB adapter on your existing computer, remove it from the Ethernet cable before plugging that into your new PC.
Ben, you have given me all the information I need to go ahead.
A million thanks.

PS - "adapter" ? A cable is plugged into my router and likewise plugged into my PC, I do not seem to have any adapter. just two plugs - one out - one in.
Old 01-12-2018, 13:06   #22
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

USB:

Ethernet:

the ethernet cable should go from the Router to the rear of the PC, same plug type both ends
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 14:05   #23
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
USB:

The ethernet cable should go from the Router to the rear of the PC, same plug type both ends
I am sure that is what I have. Will check when I next pull the PC cabinet out of my console.
I look to be "all systems go" now.
Thank you.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

When I first switch on my new WiFi PC, will it display a panel asking for my network details as shown on my Superhub router ?

For example -
USER NAME
PASSWORD
WS PIN =
PASS PHRASE
SSID

And once entered, the PC will be fully live ?

Last edited by beaker17; 01-12-2018 at 14:11.
Old 01-12-2018, 16:49   #24
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

You'll probably have to open the network and sharing centre from the task bar. Browse for available connections. Click the one starting with VM (should be the strongest) and then a number and then you'll be prompted to enter your WiFi details.

The centre will also show all the available WiFi signals in your area. Most should be encrypted and secured.
Old 01-12-2018, 16:56   #25
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You'll probably have to open the network and sharing centre from the task bar. Browse for available connections. Click the one starting with VM (should be the strongest) and then a number and then you'll be prompted to enter your WiFi details.

The centre will also show all the available WiFi signals in your area. Most should be encrypted and secured.
That will be the same VM and number on the back of your router.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15   #26
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Windows 10 changed in the last update as I format my pc at least 3/4 times a year it gets cluttered with crap.

At the load screen when you first turn it on it will start finishing the installation/user profile. during this stage it will setup the wifi or in this case ethernet. the only thing you might need to do is disable the wifi settings if it automatically wants to use that instead of the ethernet cable but it may ask you during the installation what connection you are using.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

As for installing windows 10 if for whatever reason the restore function of the pc failed and you had to replace windows 10 you can download windows 10 from the microsoft site and buy a CD key online... I paid £2.99 on ebay for a key and it's worked fine. most people install windows via USB these days I have a portable CD drive as my pc doesn't have drive bays.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 17:31   #27
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Thank you everybody on this thread and my other for all the help given.

My new computer is now working perfectly, all set up the way I want it. I have loaded all the XP files I need successfully, even the Thunderbird address book for my emails.

Without the assistance of this Forum it would have been very difficult for me going to Win 10 after 14 years on XP. I got little help from another forum I tried.

Thank you all.
Old 13-12-2018, 21:53   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Glad we could be of help and you've got a setup that works for you