Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is this real?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is this real?

Old 17-07-2009, 02:47   #1
CelluarMan
Inactive

CelluarMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this real?

I just find out the virgin is going to come out with a welfare phone. It is going to have 120 minutes for 10 bucks. It sounds good, but supposedly there only going to offer it to low-income people, so must of their users wouldnt able to get. And im just surprised by it cause virgin was always this cool music phone and it doesnt seem like that anymore. Now when you pull this phone out it wouldnt say cool but that your on welfare.
CelluarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2009, 07:53   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelluarMan View Post
I just find out the virgin is going to come out with a welfare phone. It is going to have 120 minutes for 10 bucks. It sounds good, but supposedly there only going to offer it to low-income people, so must of their users wouldnt able to get. And im just surprised by it cause virgin was always this cool music phone and it doesnt seem like that anymore. Now when you pull this phone out it wouldnt say cool but that your on welfare.
Is this an USA idea of Virgins because this is primarily a UK forum and may not have a high US readership.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 08:27   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Just did a google and it does appear that Virgin Mobile USA have Monthly Plans which reduce charges for low income users and this issue has been in the press for several months. I have had no luck tracking down a link to the 'Welfare Phone' mentioned by the OP though.

Quote:
Jobless and on welfare? Then Virgin (Virgin Mobile USA) will pay your mobile bill.
http://www.gomonews.com/jobless-and-...r-mobile-bill/
Old 17-07-2009, 11:09   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

we do have something similar over here on all networks, they're called Pay As You Go phones

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 11:13   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
we do have something similar over here on all networks, they're called Pay As You Go phones
Really? I thought they were aimed at people who don't use the phone enough to warrant taking out a contract...
Old 17-07-2009, 12:03   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Well I never considered the cost of calls on UK PAYG as being subsidised by UK operators which is what is being offered by Virgin Mobile USA.
Old 18-07-2009, 17:09   #7
Barton71
Inactive

Barton71 is on a distinguished roadBarton71 is on a distinguished road

So its kinda like taking out insurance against unemployment and illness, when you take out a mortgage, or loan from the bank, or buy things on your credit card, or when you buy a new car. Seems like a good idea to me.

Does normal mobile phone insurance, in the UK, cover this also?
Barton71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 18:59   #8
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

so this is about not being cool to offer something to those less fortunate in case it makes you look less cool

hmm

and we wonder why some parts of the word think we are decadent
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote