Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 23-09-2015, 16:53   #391
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I was interested to read in The Sunday Times that Tim Cook (the Chief Executive of Apple) has stated that in his view "the future of television is apps".

He believes that instead of flicking through channels, consumers will 'increasingly look to a variety of apps when they sit down in front of the TV set'. It states in the Times article that the power that TV channels currently wield through their programming schedules will disappear. Although Sky and other commercials are safe for the time being, 'the long term threat to Britain's biggest commercial broadcasters is plain. The impact of the interlopers has been most keenly felt across the Atlantic. Americans have become used to buying expensive cable TV packages, because the country has so few quality free to air channels, such as BBC and ITV. Many households are severing cable contracts costing $100 a month or more in favour of the slimmed down deals from Amazon and Netflix'.

This is exactly what I have been predicting will happen here unless the terrestrial commercial channels pull some rabbits out of hats.

You heard it here first!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2015, 17:36   #392
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Tim Cook (the Chief Executive of Apple)
Of course he would; He wants to sell the new Apple TV that's launching next month, which is app driven. Apple are rumoured to be trying to do deals with US TV Networks for content.

Doesn't make him wrong, but it helps to understand why he is promoting this idea.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:18   #393
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Man who sells app-driven entertainment download devices says the future of TV lies in app-driven entertainment download devices ... hold the front page ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:29   #394
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Man who sells app-driven entertainment download devices says the future of TV lies in app-driven entertainment download devices ... hold the front page ...

Don't you think he's correct then?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:32   #395
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sorry, Chris, but this is his line of work and I think he knows his onions.

Who would you believe - some random person who thought you should cut the red wire to a ticking bomb or a bomb disposal expert? If you look at this issue from a neutral standpoint, it's easy to see who is right here.
Old 23-09-2015, 18:43   #396
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Who would you believe - some random person who thought you should cut the red wire to a ticking bomb or a bomb disposal expert? If you look at this issue from a neutral standpoint, it's easy to see who is right here.

Always ask: qui bono?

The bomb disposal expert benefits by telling you how not to blow yourself up. The CEO of a multi-billion-$ corporation benefits from telling you to buy his product.

Simples.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:11   #397
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Always ask: qui bono?

The bomb disposal expert benefits by telling you how not to blow yourself up. The CEO of a multi-billion-$ corporation benefits from telling you to buy his product.

Simples.
You're a sad man, Chris!!
Old 23-09-2015, 19:29   #398
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Personally I'd question him with Apples track record on streaming tv boxes , they've hardly stood out from the competition have they.

Apps on tv it's hardly something new is it.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 19:37   #399
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
they've hardly stood out from the competition have they.

Kind of behind now... before their new box has even left the shops.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:40   #400
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The Macintosh, the iPod, the iPhone, even the iPad ... none of these were first to market. You don't have to be first, you just have to be better than the competition when you get there. By their own admission, Apple hasn't really taken Apple TV seriously until now. If they now say they are taking it seriously, then it will be worth watching.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:50   #401
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
With most of the so called new features already available on Amazon's old Fire TV box.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 21:09   #402
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The Macintosh, the iPod, the iPhone, even the iPad ... none of these were first to market. You don't have to be first, you just have to be better than the competition when you get there. By their own admission, Apple hasn't really taken Apple TV seriously until now. If they now say they are taking it seriously, then it will be worth watching.
Imo and this is just my opinion Apple products are overpriced for what they are and they are behind the competition, the new Appletv announcement didn't excite me in the slightest then again neither did the firetv announcement.
Apple are just playing catch up nowadays imo.
The new Appletv isn't even 4k already both Amazon and ROKU have announced 4k devices once again Apple are being arrogant and falling behind and this is coming from a huge gadget fan.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 21:26   #403
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I suspect that you missed the point I was alluding to, and had already posted on another thread; 4k

theone2k10 detailed it in his later post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
The new Appletv isn't even 4k already both Amazon and ROKU have announced 4k devices once again Apple are being arrogant and falling behind and this is coming from a huge gadget fan.
Old 23-09-2015, 21:50   #404
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Ah got you now - but again, a similar point ... Apple's products rarely beat the competition on hard specs. Their strength lies in design aesthetic and ease of use. They are very good at taking something that is seen as a niche product and making it mass market.

I'm not being a fanboy and saying Apple TV will therefore of necessity be the next big thing - just that on past performance, it would be foolish to assume it won't be. Even without 4K.
Old 23-09-2015, 22:36   #405
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ah got you now - but again, a similar point ... Apple's products rarely beat the competition on hard specs. Their strength lies in design aesthetic and ease of use. They are very good at taking something that is seen as a niche product and making it mass market.

I'm not being a fanboy and saying Apple TV will therefore of necessity be the next big thing - just that on past performance, it would be foolish to assume it won't be. Even without 4K.
I do agree with you about ease of use i have 3rd generation Appletv and setting up smart dns on it was a breeze the firetv was a bit of work but function wise both are superb and very easy to use.
I think though next generation Apple really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat as both ROKU and firetv are extremly easy to use with 4k on next generation however ROKU doesn't allow smart dns which costs it a few points imo.
In my view this is my order for ease of use of my media devices keep in mind i'm a huge android fan.
1. PC
2. Appletv 3rd generation
3. Firetv box
4. ROKU
5. Chromecast

i include my pc as i'm fortunate enough to have both pc and laptop and the pc is constantly connected to my tv.
From what i've heard it may be possible to sideload apps on new apple tv if this is the case and they keep it simple to change dns for multi region streamers like myself it could be a winner, i personally have no interest in 4K as i do not have a 4K tv, but knowing Apple they'll make a Appletv 5 in a few months with 4k because this is typical of Apple.
The next generation of devices it will be interesting to see how it all pans out but for now for me the next generation firetv is leading the way closely followed by Appletv 4thgen, however if ROKU allow dns change this could drastically change.
On the otherhand Amazon will be using Android 5.0 upwards on firetv which opens the new firetv up for endless possibilities.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote