Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Modem MAC address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Modem MAC address

Old 04-06-2020, 09:11   #1
chudfetal
cf.member

chudfetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Modem MAC address

Hi,
Looking to know if there's a way to change MAC address of a modem/router or if there's a modem/router with a flashed firmware that allows that? I'm with talktalk paying for fibre but only getting 18mbps download speed but this is not what my post is about
Cheers
chudfetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2020, 23:33   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Modem MAC address

Why would u need to change MAC address of a modem?

Even if u were to switch to another ISP the MAC of the modem shouldnt matter.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 21:34   #3
chudfetal
cf.member

Thanks for the reply m8. I got banned from using an app for no reason and can't get back into using it again and because my MAC and IP address is banned too. Tried VPN and different sim card but the ban is still in place
Old 07-06-2020, 11:05   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Sim card? If your phone has been banned from doing something then I imagine it is the imei number or sim card which has been blocked and not the modem mac address or your ip address. Your ip address will be dynamic and is changeable so ip bans can be ineffectual and mac blocks don't work over the internet, only on local networks.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 22:53   #5
chudfetal
cf.member

How come MAC blocks don't work over the internet only on local networks? I tried 5 different sim cards with new numbers over VPN and they all got blocked! It could be imei number that got blocked because i needed my phone to receive the verification code after trying to use my pc to get into the app instead of installing the app and getting into it from my phone
Old 07-06-2020, 23:12   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It's a complicated networking answer but suffice to say the internet doesnt run on mac addresses and local area networks (lans) do. If your phone is still being blocked when you arent using wifi (i.e. different ip address) and are using your providers internet connection (e.g. vodafone) then it has got to be the imei number. The only thing you can do is try a different handset. If you are using wifi it wont matter whether you have got a sim card in it or not.
Old 08-06-2020, 16:11   #7
chudfetal
cf.member

I think they've blocked all the three the network IP address and the MAC address of my pc and phone and the imei because i got blocked on my pc as well as soon as i entered the activation code that i received using a very old phone and a different number. I used to have a modem a while ago with flashed hacked firmware and i used to change the mac address of the modem by going into the firmware of the modem and change it there. If i could change the 3 above than i would be ok to go back in and use the app again
Old 08-06-2020, 16:27   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

they must really not want you to use that app
Old 08-06-2020, 18:15   #9
chudfetal
cf.member

Yeah lol they're cruel aren't they? That's what happens when the app has so many members. Does the router has its own mac address different from that of pc's?
Old 08-06-2020, 19:37   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Every single device on the planet with a network connection has a mac address. It doesnt matter whether it is your phone, tablet, tv, pc, laptop, fridge, bluray player etc. It doesnt need to or have to be able to connect to the internet but if it has a network (ethernet) connection it has a mac address because that is what networks run on. Each port on the router has its own mac address.
Old 08-06-2020, 23:01   #11
chudfetal
cf.member

That's the mac address tinder ferkers see and the external/public IP address. The way round it is a modem with hacked firmware or a cheap phone with a new sim and a data no wifi